Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coffee mugs in the office.. bacteria

Options
  • 23-10-2014 7:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭

Ok I bring in a mug to work for my coffee and wash it using the communal sponge, all looks good but we all know bacteria lurks there. After reading elsewhere a fact that "twenty percent of mugs carry faecal bacteria" I decided enough!! There are people here that have cold sores and wash their mugs with the same sponges and those sponges are left there on the sink overnight, fresh for the day ahead :eek: !! Hmmmm. Anywho, any ideas on how to properly clean the coffee mug without relying on the communal sponge? I was thinking just put boiling water into my mug, all the way to the top and let it sit there for a few mins? I hate the idea of bringing it home every day, a right pain but I'll do it if neccessary.

By posting this I realise I open myself to the possibility of severe slagging’s, possible wet willy's and told off'inis, but I am determined to not start getting sick and cold sore ridden, like a few guys in here already...!!! And yes I am straight, in a committed relationship and fully comfortable with my heterosexuality, I just love my coffee’s in the morning and afternoons! :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Scald it with a kettle?
    Wet the mug bu running under the tap, then pop it in a microwave for 30 seconds. If you have access to microwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Just douse it in boiling water at the end of each day after you've cleaned of the heavy stuff. As far as the faecal material goes.... I don't think your doing coffee right....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

ando wrote: »
    And yes I am straight, in a committed relationship and fully comfortable with my heterosexuality,

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Do you have access to a flamethrower in your office?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd be more worried about the cold sores to than the bacteria, after all, you get a face full of fecal bacteria every time you flush the loo - it's fine. It's probably 'a type of bacteria that is also found in poo' rather than 'bacteria that is only found in poo'.

You have a couple of choices:
    1) bring your mug home every evening.
    2) bring your own sponge to work.
    3) scald the mug.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

We put them in the dishwasher, those sponge's are nasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

I'm kinda wondering if anybody has ever died from coffee mug poisoning?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,471 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I have my own mug (different from the others) and I wash it myself. Problem solved. Next.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Luke92

Touch it gently, put two fingers inside, if it's wide use three fingers, make sure it's wet and rub up and down. Yep that's how you wash a cup.

Use your fingers and a bitta fairy washing up liquid! Or bleach.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

We only have plastic cups. Kinda destroys the point since it burns your fingers, but eh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

I'm kinda wondering if anybody has ever died from coffee mug poisoning?

It's a silent killer, they say it's worse then Ebola

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Cold sores are the herpes virus...you can't kill a virus, scald away if it brings you peace of mind

Luke92 wrote: »
    Touch it gently, put two fingers inside, if it's wide use three fingers, make sure it's wet and rub up and down. Yep that's how you wash a cup.

Use your fingers and a bitta fairy washing up liquid! Or bleach.

also goes for the furry cup :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

And yes I am straight, in a committed relationship and fully comfortable with my heterosexuality

Telling us your straight confirms your gay :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Can I just point out that our body is very very efficient at killing stuff it does not want , so stop with the over reactions and get a life

Ok I bring in a mug to work for my coffee and wash it using the communal sponge, all looks good but we all know bacteria lurks there. After reading elsewhere a fact that "twenty percent of mugs carry faecal bacteria" I decided enough!! There are people here that have cold sores and wash their mugs with the same sponges and those sponges are left there on the sink overnight, fresh for the day ahead :eek: !! Hmmmm. Anywho, any ideas on how to properly clean the coffee mug without relying on the communal sponge? I was thinking just put boiling water into my mug, all the way to the top and let it sit there for a few mins? I hate the idea of bringing it home every day, a right pain but I'll do it if neccessary.

By posting this I realise I open myself to the possibility of severe slagging’s, possible wet willy's and told off'inis, but I am determined to not start getting sick and cold sore ridden, like a few guys in here already...!!! And yes I am straight, in a committed relationship and fully comfortable with my heterosexuality, I just love my coffee’s in the morning and afternoons! :cool:
    Just because they are faecal bacteria doesn't necessarily mean they came from faeces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

In that case OP, you might want to remove your toothbrush from the bathroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Scald it! I do before every use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Puff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,750 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Pff washing mug's....... my mug with a lid stay's on my desk where it is touched by nobody and the only washing it gets is with a new filling of coffee, adds to the flavour too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

If you start thinking like that you might as well get a bottle of hand sanitizer for using after you have been on public transport, I know some one who does this because off all the germs on the bus! or what about the cups and mugs in coffee shops how do you know they are washed properly! Its best not thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

You must be Terrified of handling money then..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Ok I bring in a mug to work for my coffee and wash it using the communal sponge, all looks good but we all know bacteria lurks there. After reading elsewhere ....

Stop reading stuff and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭jimmybeige

Cold sores are the herpes virus...you can't kill a virus, scald away if it brings you peace of mind

I don't think that's true. Some are tough to kill depending on what you use, but I don't think the above is a fact by any means.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,273 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Mr E wrote: »
    I have my own mug (different from the others) and I wash it myself. Problem solved. Next.

Ah, but are you washing it in the communal office water supply? Cause everyone knows that's aids and ebola infested

VinLieger wrote: »
    Pff washing mug's....... my mug with a lid stay's on my desk where it is touched by nobody and the only washing it gets is with a new filling of coffee, adds to the flavour too :)
    I hope you take your coffee black cause otherwise... eww

jimmybeige wrote: »
    I don't think that's true. Some are tough to kill depending on what you use, but I don't think the above is a fact by any means.
    You can't kill them cause technically, they're not actually alive. A bit like zombies.

You can only stop viruses by removing their head or destroying their brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

When people were living in caves and mud huts do you think they worried about dirty mugs and hand sanitisers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Tis good for the immune system OP.

Advertisement