Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man shot dead inside Canadian parliament

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Any one got any idea what the motivation was ?

Anything to do with the anti-fracking protest that was cleared by riot police and dogs last week ?

Seems he was a muslim convert who had become radicalized, they released his name today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

muslim convert who had become radicalized

That old chestnut.

Bit strange for a country that stayed out of Iraq (Except for rebuild phase) and has wound up their Afghan involvement. Hardly about Mali is it ?

'tis a strange world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Mr. Zehaf-Bibeau was born in 1982 and was the son of Bulgasem Zehaf, a Quebec businessman who appears to have fought in 2011 in Libya, and Susan Bibeau, the deputy chairperson of a division of Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Board.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/suspected-killer-in-ottawa-shootings-had-a-disturbing-side/article21252419/

Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

I heard he ran out of maple syrup

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I heard he ran out of maple syrup

I often long for a *this post sucks* option next to the thanks option.....but consider the sentiment expressed anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

That old chestnut.

Bit strange for a country that stayed out of Iraq (Except for rebuild phase) and has wound up their Afghan involvement. Hardly about Mali is it ?

'tis a strange world.

http://ww2.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com/2014/09/21/isis-urges-jihadists-to-attack-canadians-you-will-not-feel-secure-in-your-bedrooms
    Maybe the "chestnut" is true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

Amazingfun wrote: »
    I often long for a *this post sucks* option next to the thanks option.....but consider the sentiment expressed anyhow.

could you imagine the amazing fun we could have if that option was added

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Jamsiek wrote: »
    Seems he was a muslim convert who had become radicalized, they released his name today.

A Barry. They're the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The Globe and Mail has more on the shooter. He was apparently highly angry that the Canadian authorities had him on a watchlist and stopped him leaving the country to "study" in Libya:
    Some of the facts of Mr. Zehaf-Bibeau’s life bear broad parallels to another Canadian terrorist who surfaced this week – Martin Couture-Rouleau, another “high-risk traveller” who police shot dead in Quebec Monday after he ran down two soldiers.

But while Mr. Couture-Rouleau is not known to be connected to any other terrorism suspects, Mr. Bathurst said his friend knew Hasibullah Yusufzai, a Vancouver-area resident who was charged in July by the RCMP with travelling to Syria with the intent of joining a deadly terrorist group.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It gets very hard to separate the self radicalised Jihadi from the fruit loop after a while, I find.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Nino Brown wrote: »
    The soldiers were carrying weapons which were not loaded, that is just ridiculous! Why would a soldier carry an unloaded weapon? Sky news said the rifles were symbolic, symbolic of what? An unloaded gun is just a liability.

Do you think that weapons are loaded during military parades?
    Do you think that all those rifles and all those cannons are loaded with live ammunition and shells during the Trooping of the Colours?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

Egginacup wrote: »
    Do you think that all those rifles and all those cannons are loaded with live ammunition and shells during the Trooping of the Colours?

aye, and tbh, I think a lone soldier with a loaded rifle would be _more_ of a target, not less of one

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

I don't think the name of the solider has been mentioned here,

Nathan Cirillo, was 24 years old, and the father of a six year old.

Militant Islamism then, maybe I should have included that first word to point it out to you.

2 soldiers were attacked already this week near Montreal and one was killed, the killer was a radicalized convert to Islam.

That's 2 dead soldiers in 2 attacks on home soil in less than a week.
    More than a "non-story" that's for sure

Yes but these attacks can't be classified as terrorist attacks like the media and the rest of the **** seeking to turn these events to their advantage are trying to assert. Terrorism is the deliberate (and often reckless) use of violence against civilians to further a political agenda. The guy in the car waited for 2 hours until he saw a soldier to target. Seems he went out of his way to AVOID civilian casualties.

That, my friend, is not a terrorist attack.

Canada has been bombing and killing people in the Middle East for 13 years and now gets ever so uppity when someone who has the audacity to relate to the victims at the wrong end of that 13 years of killing actually hits back? The only surprise here is that this happens as infrequently as it does.

Yes but these attacks can't be classified as terrorist attacks like the media and the rest of the **** seeking to turn these events to their advantage are trying to assert. Terrorism is the deliberate (and often reckless) use of violence against civilians to further a political agenda. The guy in the car waited for 2 hours until he saw a soldier to target. Seems he went out of his way to AVOID civilian casualties.

Canada has been bombing and killing people in the Middle East for 13 years and now gets ever so uppity when someone who has the audacity to relate to the victims at the wrong end of that 13 years of killing actually hits back? The only surprise here is that this happens as infrequently as it does.

So what you're saying is that the IRA would not be terrorists if they just targeted British soldiers and RUC officers?

So what you're saying is that the IRA would not be terrorists if they just targeted British soldiers and RUC officers?

Well, would they be? Was the French Resistance a terrorist organisation? The Polish resistance? The Mujahideen who fought Soviet occupation in Afghanistan?....you know the same guys whom Ronald Reagan called "modern day Jeffersons"?.....and who then fought American (AND Canadian) occupation and suddenly went from being freedom fighters (Jeffersons) to the "worst kind of terrorist murderers on earth".

Please, don't tell me what I'm saying in order to twist an argument. If you want to play that game then you'd better admit that the US Airforce is a terrorist organisation for killing 100's of thousands of civilians at Hiroshima and Nagasaki to achieve a political goal.

You can't have it both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

I understand guns aren't loaded in military parades.
    This is different, these guys were guards, guarding something is different than a parade. The Palace Guards in the UK have loaded guns. I don't see the point in giving a guard an unloaded gun, might as well give him a hurl.

Nino Brown wrote: »
    I understand guns aren't loaded in military parades.
    This is different, these guys were guards, guarding something is different than a parade. The Palace Guards in the UK have loaded guns. I don't see the point in giving a guard an unloaded gun, might as well give him a hurl.

Well someone reacted when it was stated that the guns were symbolic by stating that there should be no such thing as unloaded "symbolic" guns were a liability. You are now trying to nitpick.
    And I'm not so sure that the bear fur boys in front of Buckingham palace do have loaded weapons, but I could be wrong.

Yea, those uppity ****, calling this a terrorist attack when everybody knows its ok to shoot a soldier in the back because they had it coming...

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

I think you should inform the UN that you have successfully managed to find the only possible definition of terrorism as nobody else has, in fact a 2003 study by jeoffrey record found over 122 possible definitions.
    Point being under some definitions this can be classed as a terror attack

• Advertisement

jimboblep wrote: »
    I think you should inform the UN that you have successfully managed to find the only possible definition of terrorism as nobody else has, in fact a 2003 study by jeoffrey record found over 122 possible definitions.
    Point being under some definitions this can be classed as a terror attack

I nearly say most definitions...?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

Theres a Canadian Bacon joke in there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

Was browsing another site and I saw a picture of the soldier posing with a tourist a day or two before he was murdered. Poor lad and it really brings home the fleetingness of life. I'm no fan of American foreign policy or NATO, but Corporal Cirillo's murder was cowardly and spineless. May he R.I.P.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I think that would be a fair assessment. It would more turn them into guerillas.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭DaveDaRave

Nodin wrote: »
    A Barry. They're the worst.

the moderates have been radicalized

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Miss Lizzie Jones

Areyouwell wrote: »
    Corporal Cirillo's murder was cowardly and spineless. May he R.I.P.

His military funeral is on Tuesday. A good chunk of Hamilton is being shut down for it. The mood is very sad here.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4945261-hamilton-prepares-for-farewell-to-national-hero/

His military funeral is on Tuesday. A good chunk of Hamilton is being shut down for it. The mood is very sad here.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4945261-hamilton-prepares-for-farewell-to-national-hero/

I bet.
    Flags are all at half mast in Vancouver too.
    I was at the Whitecaps game at the weekend and there was a minute's silence.

I bet.
    Flags are all at half mast in Vancouver too.
    I was at the Whitecaps game at the weekend and there was a minute's silence.

All over Canada from what I have been reading. I hope his family finds some comfort in those gestures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBY5oGifmv8

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement