Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man shot dead inside Canadian parliament

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Nino Brown wrote: »
    So it was basically a fake rifle? Why? If you don't want weapons there, don't give them weapons, what is the point in giving them drill rifles, or unloaded rifles?

The soldier is guarding the memorial in a symbolic role. They don't need a live rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

To clarify, Malala was going to be granted honourary Canadian citizenship by PM Harper this afternoon in Toronto.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2014/10/21/malala_yousafzai_in_toronto_to_receive_honorary_citizenship.html
    Ah ok.

Still, may be relevant. Or may be a coincidence. It's certainly an interesting coincidence imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Blay wrote: »
    The soldier is guarding the memorial in a symbolic role. They don't need a live rifle.
    ...up until now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

kyles mom ?
    It really is too easy for them at times! New season is going to get even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

...up until now.

Shooter had the advantage anyway so it probably wouldn't have helped him

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Blay wrote: »
    Why give them a live rifle?

No reason for that either, well at least not until now.
    But giving somebody an unloaded weapon can make them a target. I would imagine it was easier for the terrorist in this case to shoot an "armed" man. That is probably the reason this guard was shot, to prevent him shooting back, which he couldn't do anyway.
    Like I said, if they don't want the soldiers to carry a gun, don't give them one.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭jimboblep

Whoever is responsible for this tragedy, he's not your friend, buddy.

Im not your buddy, guy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭liz lemoncello

conorh91 wrote: »
    Ah ok.

Still, may be relevant. Or may be a coincidence. It's certainly an interesting coincidence imo.

Oh, I agree. Harper's trip to Toronto has been cancelled. I haven't seen anything about the event Malala was going to participate in being cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

No reason for that either, well at least not until now.
    But giving somebody an unloaded weapon can make them a target. I would imagine it was easier for the terrorist in this case to shoot an "armed" man. That is probably the reason this guard was shot, to prevent him shooting back, which he couldn't do anyway.
    Like I said, if they don't want the soldiers to carry a gun, don't give them one.

What do you mean "they"? If you've ever seen soldiers parade with weapons anywhere, I have news for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The soldiers were carrying weapons which were not loaded, that is just ridiculous! Why would a soldier carry an unloaded weapon? Sky news said the rifles were symbolic, symbolic of what? An

You'll find that at many war memorials the world over. Soldiers don't tend to carry a loaded weapon while taking part in ceremonial duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Let's hope the shooter isn't oot and aboot.

Is he Scottish? :-)

Jamsiek wrote: »
    Is he Scottish? :-)

He was a member of Hamilton’s Argylls of Canada, 91st Canadian Highlanders, but you're right, that's no reason for the "oot and aboot" line.

He was a member of Hamilton’s Argylls of Canada, 91st Canadian Highlanders, but you're right, no that's reason for the "oot and aboot" line.

I agree the "oot and aboot" thing is tiresome.
    It's like saying all Irish people say "top o' the mornin' ta ya".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,329 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

There is even a heightened police presence here in Vancouver.

Gintonious wrote: »

I bet Victoria is under serious security too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I wonder how many people get murdered in the US ever day?

Point: This is a non story.

Not really a non-story, the gunman was shot dead inside the parliament building.
    Doesn't happen very often

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

How is it a non story ?

It came hours after Canada raised its terror threat level, after another soldier was killed on Monday in a hit-and-run attack by a Muslim convert.

The country earlier this month announced plans to join the US-led campaign of air strikes against Islamic State (IS) militants in Iraq.

The elevated terror threat level came in response to an increase in online "general chatter" from radical groups including Islamic State and al-Qaeda, officials said.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,329 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The fact that its an unprovoked attack on an innocent solider might make it a story.

What an incredibly vile thing to say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Wonder when something like this will happen here ?

As I think it's only a matter of time when.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

The dead soldiers family and those that were terrified by the events might disagree with you there. Crass post.

realies wrote: »

Ireland isn't engaged in any wars in the middle east so I'd say it's unlikely.
    Then again, who knows

The dead soldiers family and those that were terrified by the events might disagree with you there. Crass post.

Did you think I meant to offend the dead soldier's family? Of course I didn't.

One person dying in albeit rare circumstances in a foreign parliament is not worthy of the media coverage it has received on this side of the pond. Does anyone know why the media might be going heavy on this story?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

The dildo of a RCMP spokesman, Martine Fontaine, had this to say:

"We encourage people to remain vigilant and suspicious"

And they pay people like this?

Welcome to the United States of Being Terrified off Your Ass, Canada.

:pac:

realies wrote: »

Murders happen here on frequent occasions, sometimes in front of schools.

The fact that its an unprovoked attack on an innocent solider might make it a story.

What an incredibly vile thing to say.

Unprovoked attacks/murders happen every single day.

Did you think I meant to offend the dead soldier's family? Of course I didn't.

One person dying in albeit rare circumstances in a foreign parliament is not worthy of the media coverage it has received on this side of the pond. Does anyone think why the media might be going heavy on this story?

The possible motive behind the attack makes the story very relevant across the Atlantic IMO. If it is motivated by Islamism as is expected, the UK or France could be next if security is not increased.

Murders happen here on frequent occasions, sometimes in front of schools.

Well, this type of has never happened in Canada before. If, indeed, you think there is nothing to see here, then, please, feel free to move along.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

...up until now.

Yep....arm everyone now.

How's that program to have janitors pack Glocks as they mop the floors in the wake of Columbine, Sandy Hook, Georgia Tech, <enter nutcase scene here> ?

Just need some clown take a few shots at the ducks in the park and then you'll be wanting Bearcats and drones hovering over the sandbox at the petting zoo.

So glad I live in the free world....where sanity prevails.

Advertisement