Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Week 8 Thread

Options
  • 22-10-2014 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭

Thursday Night/Friday Morning 1:25AM

San Diego Chargers @ Denver Broncos Live On Sky Sports 1

Sunday Afternoon 1:30PM

Detroit Lions @ Atlanta Falcons (Wembley) Live On SS2 and Channel 4

Sunday Evening 5PM

Chicago Bears @ New England Patriots

Baltimore Ravens @ Cincinnati Bengals Live On Sky Sports 2

Minnesota Vikings @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers

St Louis Rams @ Kansas City Chiefs

Miami Dolphins @ Jacksonville Jaguars

Buffalo Bills @ New York Jets

Seattle Seahawks @ Carolina Panthers

Houston Texans @ Tennessee Titans

Sunday Evening 8:05PM

Philadelphia Eagles @ Arizona Cardinals Live On Sky Sports 2

Sunday Evening 8:25PM

Oakland Raiders @ Cleveland Browns

Indianapolis Colts @ Pittsburgh Steelers

Sunday Night/Monday Morning 12:30AM

Green Bay Packers @ New Orleans Saints Live On Channel 4

Monday Night/Tuesday Morning 12:30AM

Washington Redskins @ Dallas Cowboys Live On Eurosport 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

I love it when those weeks come around that you know your team can't possibly lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

If Brady, Garappolo and Revis get struck by lightning I’ll back my Bears to keep this within 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭me89

SameOleJay wrote: »
    If Brady, Garappolo and Revis get struck by lightning I’ll back my Bears to keep this within 40.

You obviously didn't see our run defence last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

Running the football is too easy for Chicago so we’ve decided to stop with it altogether.

Our new preferred tactic on third and one is a deep throw into triple coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

San Diego Chargers @ Denver Broncos
    Detroit Lions @ Atlanta Falcons
    Baltimore Ravens @ Cincinnati Bengals
    Philadelphia Eagles @ Arizona Cardinals
    Green Bay Packers @ New Orleans Saints
    Washington Redskins @ Dallas Cowboys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Tough to go against Denver tonight, though i would not be surprised at all if the Chargers turn up and beat them. Err on the side of caution though with the quick turnaround and home field advantage. Could be a close game though and would rather be on the side of the Chargers to cover rather then the Broncos if I was a betting man.

Ill have to look into it more actually as the line of +8.5 is tempting me. Haven't read injury report yet

Would there be any interest in an against the spread thread?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Minnesota Vikings]@ Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Kansas City Chiefs
    New Orleans Saints
    Dallas Cowboys

One of the more interesting games there is Arizona v Philly. Both teams have started very well but both have a lot of question marks too. I'm not sure how legit Arizona is yet. I could see them winning this week though.

Maybe just wishful thinking on my part because if Arizona win a few more they will be tough to catch and Seattle, SF, and whoever doesn't win in the East and North will be in an almighty Wildcard battle. No guarantee a wildcard comes from the NFC West.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Three points for SD: 1 It's a short week. 2 It's a road trip. 3. Altitude. 4. Plenty of blowouts on TNF. Ok, that's four. Denver by a lot.

It's Wembley, so anything can happen. But Lions win big.

Patriots O is gonna be hard to stop. Pats by lots.

Bengals started so well, but now they're like a blind man in a bog. Ravens by a few.

Someone's gotta win, haven't they? Buccs by a half point.

The Missouri Bowl. Rams are showing heart, but now they have to stop Jamaal Charles. Good luck with that. Chiefs by a few.

Jags are on a season high win streak of one. Now they have a local derby with Miami. Miami to take it comfortably.

The Jets are bound to win one eventually, so state rivals, Buffalo Bills present a decent shot. But it should be close. Jets by a quarter point.

Two high flyers from last year have had their wings clipped. Seattle still have a decent O and might shade a shoot-out. Hawks by a whisker.

It's believed the Titans are going to try win this one. They might just. Titans by a hair.

Now this is a humdinger. Long road trip to the sunny south west might be against the Eagles, but they're coming off a bye week. Tough to call, but the cardiac Cards to win by a heartbeat.

Someone's going to try win this one, I'm sure of it. Browns by one.

Will the Colts have any Luck? Yes, they will. Colts by 7.

This could be a shoot-out. But I have a feeling one D will come up big, with a tipped pass, or an incompletion. Pack by one in a high scoring game.

Hard to bet against the Cowboys scalping the Redskins. Murray will run riot. Dallas by at least two (scores).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Three points for SD: 1 It's a short week. 2 It's a road trip. 3. Altitude. 4. Plenty of blowouts on TNF. Ok, that's four. Denver by a lot.

SD always perform well in Denver and the divisional games are never easy - I would be happy with a one point win for the Broncos. This Chargers team is playing well and is 5-2, including a big win against the Seahawks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

kryogen wrote: »

Tough to go against Denver tonight, though i would not be surprised at all if the Chargers turn up and beat them. Err on the side of caution though with the quick turnaround and home field advantage. Could be a close game though and would rather be on the side of the Chargers to cover rather then the Broncos if I was a betting man.

Ill have to look into it more actually as the line of +8.5 is tempting me. Haven't read injury report yet

Brandon Flowers is out for SD which is a massive loss. Also rookie Jason Verrett is questionable too which would be a disaster if he's gone. ILB Te'o is also out. Dwight Freeney might be back though which would be a big help.

The Chargers will try and keep Manning off the field with the dink and dunk approach and running the ball with Brandon Oliver to limit the Broncos time of possession. However, I don't see that working this week as the Broncos are much better on defence and will be expecting it. You could say that that was the case last year in the playoffs too when the Chargers were effective but last years Broncos didnt have Miller or Ware. I think the Broncos win by 10ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Should be a good game, San Diego have played Denver tough recently, but I think Denver are superior all around and with home field and short week, I'll take the Broncos 31-21

I think the Falcons season is over, the players are not playing for Smith. Detroit's dline to have a field day in London. Detroit 21 - 7

On paper this should be a straightforward win for the Patriots, but this Chicago team re so unpredictable, and have been better on the road by some ways. I thought NE were a little lucky to get the W against NYJ last week. I'll go for the upset here. Chicago 24- 21

Bengals Oline was awful last week v Indy and the Ravens are hot. Another blowout is on the cards. Baltimore 35-21

Not a lot to love about this game, but Tampa are at home and should shade it, Buccaneers 17-14

This could be a good one. The Rams finally got a reward for their improved play over the last few week. Chiefs had a great win in SD last week, and looked good doing it, a close one goes to KC 21- 17

Can't see past Miami win here. They've rediscovered their week 1 form (win v Pats) in their loss and win v GB and Chicago respectively. Jaguars have showed improvement recently, but I think the Cleveland result was an aberration and normal service resumes. Dolphins win 28-14

Bills struggled to beat a terrible Vikings team while the Jets lost whilst playing well v Pats. I think the NYJ D will be too much for Buffalo, and with Spiller and Jackson missing, I think we'll see the real Kyle Orton this week and it won't be pretty. (Sammy Watkins is really good though) Jets 24-20

I still think the Seahawks are the best team in the NFC, although they do look a little anaemic on offense. Carolina have been bossed around the last 3 weeks and the Seahawks will shut them down here. Seattle win 31-17

The Texans blew a game they were in complete control of on Monday night. I thought they played relatively well while the Titans have been struggling Offensively, and lost to 3rd stringer, Colt McCoy and the Redskins last week. Texans 23-20

Carson Palmer has looked good since his return. The Eagles can't afford to lose touch with the Cowboys, while the Cards will want to maintain their surprising 1.5 game lead in the west. Eagles to squeak this one coming off their bye. 31-28

Raiders have shown marked improvement since Denis Allen's departure, while the Browns fell to the Jaguars in a classic trap game. Browns can't afford to slip again. We may even get to see some Manziel, but I think they should stick with Hoyer myself. Browns 27-16

The Steelers need this one to stay in touch with the Ravens. But they have not faced a team as good as the Colts this year, who have surprised many with a stout D to compliment Luck. Easy for Indy, 30 - 14

As bad as the Saints have been this year they are still in the hunt in the awful NFC south. No running game for New Orleans, but I think Brees can win in a shootout against Rodgers. Saints 35-31

Is there any way you could go for Washington over the Cowboys here. Colt McCoy likely starting, Dallas at home. Good defence, dominating ground game, top tier QB.... this one could be ugly. Dallas 38-10

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

poldebruin wrote: »
    On paper this should be a straightforward win for the Patriots, but this Chicago team re so unpredictable, and have been better on the road by some ways. I thought NE were a little lucky to get the W against NYJ last week. I'll go for the upset here. Chicago 24- 21

I don't think luck had anything to do with the Jets win. The Jets raised their game as they always do against us and played pretty well. Jets-Pats games are usually tough slug fests, no team turned the ball over in that game and it was pretty much error free. The Jets did a great job in keeping Brady off the field and that was the key. The Pats offense were only on the field for about 20 minutes. We couldn't get the Jets of the field and make them punt, until after their 5th consecutive scoring drive. But looking at the Pats game, any team with talented on their offense are always dangerous after an embarrassing loss. And that's why I don't take a win for granted. It all depends on what Cutler turns up. Our defense is absolutely rubbish and a rabbit could run the balls down our throats. And we've just lost another key defensive player in Chandler Jones. I haven't made my picks this week, I will pick the Pats but I'm not 100% about a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,825 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I don't think luck had anything to do with the Jets win. The Jets raised their game as they always do against us and played pretty well. Jets-Pats games are usually tough slug fests, no team turned the ball over in that game and it was pretty much error free. The Jets did a great job in keeping Brady off the field and that was the key. The Pats offense were only on the field for about 20 minutes. We couldn't get the Jets of the field and make them punt, until after their 5th consecutive scoring drive. But looking at the Pats game, any team with talented on their offense are always dangerous after an embarrassing loss. And that's why I don't take a win for granted. It all depends on what Cutler turns up. Our defense is absolutely rubbish and a rabbit could run the balls down our throats. And we've just lost another key defensive player in Chandler Jones. I haven't made my picks this week, I will pick the Pats but I'm not 100% about a win.

Well, seeing as the Bears aren't playing in Chicago, and we just lost, we're due good Cutler this week. In terms of running the ball, Forte ran the ball twice in the whole first half last week, which was astonishingly dumb. Expect to see him a lot more. Our secondary is a total and utter shambles right now though (Tillman and now Fuller both missing), so we will be easily torn apart in the air on D. Oh and our LBs have been more or less told they can't be dropped no matter how badly they play or how well their backups do when they're out. So ye have that going for you as well. If we win it will take more than good Jay to show up. We also need good Brandon, who hasn't been great the last few weeks really (it's not all on the QB, much as people blame him).

I don't think luck had anything to do with the Jets win.

I watched that game live on Thursday night, thoroughly enjoyable, but anytime you win on a FG block, there is an element of luck I think. (not that 58 yarders are automatic or anything)

Hard to know what Bears team you will get week to week. Will there be a positive reaction to the locker room fight post-dolphins or will the team go the other way and quit on each other?

On their day, Forte, Cutler, Jeffrey and Marshall can beat anyone, and the D has improved over last year's (admittedly weak) effort.

Chandler Jones out as well, as you mentioned, but the Pats seem to have the ability to absorb injuries better than most teams it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I watched that game live on Thursday night, thoroughly enjoyable, but anytime you win on a FG block, there is an element of luck I think.

What has luck got to do with a very good special teams play? These ST guys on every team spend countless hours practicing these plays, from OTA's, right through training camp and during the regular season. Chandler Jones made a great block on a FG a few weeks back, he then collected the ball and returned it for a TD. Nothing to do with luck he just made a great play. Chris Jones made a great block against the Jets, again nothing to do with luck, but all to do with hard work & grinding. Nick Folks longest kick last year was 52 yards. He hasn't even kicked 58 yards in his career. So it is very likely the kick was going nowhere anyway.

But if I wanted to nit pick, I could call out the poor officiating. There was phantom DPI penalty call against Revis in the 1st quarter, which the Hubble telescope still can't spot. That continued a Jets drive when they had gone third and nowhere and they picked up a FG from it. There was also a blatant hold on Ninkovich, I thought the Jets lineman was trying to put a tie on him. That hold gave them the space to make a third down conversion when Nink had read it perfectly and was going to stuff it. Again another FG was added because of the missed holding call. So that's 6 points they shouldn't have got. Now I don't usually comment on these kind of plays, because the league is currently littered with poor officiating. But if you're going to classify a great ST play as luck and against a kicker who never kicked that distance. Then I think poor officiating which gave up 6 points then comes into the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,240 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Tonights the first TNF game I'm purposely staying up for so far this season anyway. Hopefully it's a good one.

What has luck got to do with a very good special teams play?

They are non-repeatable, non-predictable plays. I'm not saying blocking a FG isn't a skill that is learned, or that team don't practice these things. But plays like punt returns, KO returns, Interception returns and fumble recoveries and blocked FG attempts tend to be random events and are not to be relied on (individually) for winning football games.

That's not the only reason to consider the Jets unlucky to lose on Thursday though.

• Advertisement

Tonights the first TNF game I'm purposely staying up for so far this season anyway. Hopefully it's a good one.

I'm mulling this too, but with work the next day it might be a tall order. There's never the same enjoyment watching the recording - and it will be impossible to stay away from the result tomorrow (for me at least - terrible self control)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Wouldn't say the Patriots were lucky to beat the Jets, but I would say they were very lucky that when their defense had such a horrible day it was only the Jets they were playing, and not a team with a competent passing offense, because hardly any other team would have settled for FGs so often. Defense will have to be much better this week against the Jekyll and Hyde bears, who are strangely 0-3 at home but 3-1 away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

That's not the only reason to consider the Jets unlucky to lose on Thursday though.

You really should go back and watch the game again, because I just did. The Jets did nothing to deserve winning that game. The officials threw in a few favorable calls that put points on the board for them, when drives would have ended. With good officiating the game should have ended 27-16. Bad calls happen in every game, but when someone starts talking about phantom luck, then calls that cost points can't be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Vandango wrote: »
    You really should go back and watch the game again, because I just did. The Jets did nothing to deserve winning that game. The officials threw in a few favorable calls that put points on the board for them, when drives would have ended. With good officiating the game should have ended 27-16. Bad calls happen in every game, but when someone starts talking about phantom luck, then calls that cost points can't be ignored.

Favorable decisions and bad officiating go both ways though, you look at the ones the jets got and ignore the Pats ones!

Screenshot2014-10-23at195653.png
    if thats not a hold I dont know what is

Screenshot2014-10-23at195616.png
    Ball is in the air and it's 15 yards downfield

And that Chris Jones hit on Geno was low and should have been flagged
    Im not saying the Pats were lucky but if you're going to talk officiating you need to look both ways

In the NFL if you win a game by less than 3 points, you can bet your bottom dollar there was a play in the game, that if it went another way would lead to a different outcome. Any team that loses a game by less than 3 could consider themselves unlucky.

Leaving that aside, NYJ held the ball for 40 minutes. At one stage in the first half it was something like 23 - 7 in Time of possession. They dominated for long stretches, NE could not get them off the field. They didn't punt until the third quarter (if I recall), they settled for multiple FG's in the red zone and they had a FG blocked. I did watch the game, I don't need to see it again. It was well played for the most part, no controversial/egregious calls (that I remember) a back and forth game, which either team could have won.

I'll stand by my original comment......" I thought NE were a little lucky to get the W against NYJ last week"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

In the red circle, the Jets player has just stabbed the Patriots player and while he is lying dead on the ground, the Jets player repeatedly stamped on his face but no flag!! wtf?

The Yellow circle is clearly a Patriots drone carrying a camera...Spygate 2?

8QYzPgp.png

In the 2nd picture, if you focus closely in on the blue circle, you can see the Jets have a 12th man on the field, impeding the play

MlgPkoZ.png

Using screenshots to say there were fouls on a play is a ludicrous practice. On every screenshot there is a possible penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

phatkev wrote: »
    Favorable decisions and bad officiating go both ways though, you look at the ones the jets got and ignore the Pats ones!

You seem to be confusing a bad call, with a bad call that costs points. And these are the calls I was talking about earleir. The Refs had three bad calls last week that continued three Jets drives. These drives would have otherwise resulted in punts. I was talking about those calls, calls that affected the score line and not just bad calls in
    general.

There were two late hits on Brady in that game after he got rid of the ball. One in which he was driven into the turf onto his shoulder. They weren't called and I didn't mention them earlier because the score line wouldn't have been affected by them calls anyway.

phatkev wrote: »
    that Chris Jones hit on Geno was low and should have been flagged
    Im not saying the Pats were lucky but if you're going to talk officiating you need to look both ways

I saw that hit but let’s be honest, it was not a vicious hit. But why would I mention that, it wasn’t a missed call that denied the Jets points or a scoring opportunity and it had no affect on the final score line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Jesus im dreading the cowgirls on mon night, what qb are we gonna go with this time, there might be some lad at the tailgate party who can throw a ball:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭me89

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    Cleveland Browns

May aswell throw in the rest of the picks, dont think Ill be changing my mind on any of them

Advertisement