Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem getting skinners from Amazon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I was just wondering what you will be moving to as an alternative? I got an email yesterday from amazon saying there is a problem with my delivery address so I won't be getting my skinners. I actually have a full unopened bag and a half bag left :) I recently lost one of my dogs so I would say I will get ages out of that with my other girl. The youngest is still on burns due to beet pulp.

I am thinking it might be easier to feed both girls the same? But I need to find one with no beet pulp that's isn't burns (as the other dog won't eat it!) or taste of the wild (as it did strange things to the youngest's pee)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Decided to go wih Harringtons in the end, S&S delivery came with no dog food. Seemingly amazon said I moved house and could not deliver, 2 bags went back not delivered, one S&S came so no idea what's going on wih Amazon

Impossible to get anyone to talk to me about it,

Have to go shopping today for dog food though,

My lot love the salmon and brown rice, will see what local retailers have.

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    Decided to go wih Harringtons in the end, S&S delivery came with no dog food. Seemingly amazon said I moved house and could not deliver, 2 bags went back not delivered, one S&S came so no idea what's going on wih Amazon

Impossible to get anyone to talk to me about it,

Have to go shopping today for dog food though,

My lot love the salmon and brown rice, will see what local retailers have.

Did you look at this food? It is vat free so cheaper than harringtons and is coming in at £16.91 for me as I have a few subscriptions www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003L6PG3Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1415435221&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40
    It has maize in it (as does harringtons), which I think is a bad thing?? Because it is seen as a filler that dogs can't really digest, but then when I googled I got a lot of mixed opinions :confused:

Sorry just realised the link above does not deliver to ireland :( so I reckon it's Defo because of the vat free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Panda_Turtle

Lemlin wrote: »
    You're also supporting an Irish brand and Irish jobs as Gain is made by Glanbia.

Glanbia hiding €1Billion in Luxembourg to avoid tax..

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/glanbia-s-1bn-luxembourg-move-to-cut-its-irish-tax-bill-1.1989452

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I don't really think that we as a nation can complain about companies using various international tax laws, when we encourage the same here from overseas corporations. It is still an Irish company, giving employment to a sizeable workforce.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

A business responsibility is to it's share holders. It's up to the government to ensure it pays a fair level of taxes. With higher cost of doing business on Ireland. It's tax planning might have been needed to remain competitive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

What a bizarre tangent for a thread to take.
    Back on track now please.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

I've to do an order for food this week, so have been looking at what my options are.
    60kg of Skinners from Vetuk will cost around €142, which works out around €37 a bag including delivery. That's presuming they will still deliver.

I was thinking of giving this food, Greenwoods, a go though...
    http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/greenwoods
    It's on special at the moment, with £10 off per bag. I have a 5% discount code for Zooplus as well, so 60kg (5 bags in this case) comes to about €133
    As an example, the ingredients on the Turkey and Rice are
    30% turkey (turkey meal, freshly prepared turkey, turkey gravy and turkey fat), 22% white rice, 22% brown rice, 20% oats, whole linseed, beet pulp, alfalfa, minerals, vitamins, natural seaweed, omega 3 supplement, chicory extract, calcium carbonate, yucca extract, dandelion

It seems quite similar to Skinners in composition. What do you guys think?

mosi wrote: »
    I've to do an order for food this week, so have been looking at what my options are.
    60kg of Skinners from Vetuk will cost around €142, which works out around €37 a bag including delivery. That's presuming they will still deliver.

I was thinking of giving this food, Greenwoods, a go though...
    http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/greenwoods
    It's on special at the moment, with £10 off per bag. I have a 5% discount code for Zooplus as well, so 60kg (5 bags in this case) comes to about €133
    As an example, the ingredients on the Turkey and Rice are

It seems quite similar to Skinners in composition. What do you guys think?

I was literally going to post about greenwoods! I think it's a great deal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

Anyone feed lupo sensitive dog food? Less than €3 kg and reviews seem good?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

After reading the above about Amazon, I put through a S&S extra delivery and no problems. Haven't received any email either, so a little confused as to what's going on.

For anyone who's had an email saying they'll no longer deliver to Ireland, is your S&S with Amazon direct? or a different supplier?

carav10 wrote: »
    After reading the above about Amazon, I put through a S&S extra delivery and no problems. Haven't received any email either, so a little confused as to what's going on.

For anyone who's had an email saying they'll no longer deliver to Ireland, is your S&S with Amazon direct? or a different supplier?

I got an email saying I need to review my delivery address

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

Millem wrote: »
    I got an email saying I need to review my delivery address

Did everyone else get emails too I wonder? Did you go into the website and try an order? If it was all through email my brain would be getting suspicious about spam... My S&S is still looking fine, no notifications nothing but will wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

carav10 wrote: »
    Did everyone else get emails too I wonder? Did you go into the website and try an order? If it was all through email my brain would be getting suspicious about spam... My S&S is still looking fine, no notifications nothing but will wait and see

I got an email when my subscription was due that thry weren't able to send it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Our bag was delivered last Friday no problems and we have had no notification telling us of any changes. We get it through S&S. Fingers crossed we dont' encounter any problems in the future

The dreaded email arrived! Darn. I really don't want to have to change them and they were doing well on it. We previously got a bag from a petshop in Wicklow so may suck up the price difference and get it there, or try to convince our local pet shop to stock it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You should ask dogfooddirect to stock it - the stocked one for me before ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I thought dogfooddirect.ie did stock it? Albeit more expensive than amazon.

Last time I was up in Jollyes in Newry they had it, that was a few months back and while they have a website, it doesn't show what products they stock. It might be worth ringing them if anybody is within an easy drive of any of their Northern Stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭greengold9999

As feared (and forewarned thanks to you here), I have also had the email about Skinners and have been looking at alternatives. I have decided to try my two on Taste of the Wild Prairie. I was wondering does any shop in Ireland actually sell this as opposed to having to order it online? Just as a back up. The best price I have seen for it so far is on zooplus, does anyone know any other cheaper sites?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

No more Skinners from Amazon for us either. But we are now going to it from some online store based on the East Coast not sure of the name.

Bit more expensive but at least its not a change of food.

• Advertisement

I have priced Skinners at €46.99 from Dogfooddirect. It is a significant leap in price from the great Amazon deal we were getting. Is there anything around that price tag that is easily available in most pet stores and might be better quality than Skinners, as I know its not the best, although not the worst either! If we have to pay more I want to make sure we are getting the best quality there is for that price range, and this may not be Skinners

Vel, that was my problem as well - you can get the skinners duck and rice for about €40 ( from petbliss - less if you are able to pick it up from them in Wicklow I think) which is a huge increase on what I was paying on Amazon but a bit cheaper that the price you got. I started looking at the alternatives which were better than skinners and while that is another big leap in price - the quality is a vast improvement (although Skinners was very good quality for the price). I decided on Taste of the Wild Prairie - a huge price increase but I figure a huge improvement in quality as well over Skinners. Would be interested in any alternatives places to buy Taste of the Wild - best price I could find so far was zooplus.

We got our first bag of Skinners in Petbliss before we started to order from Amazon. We are in Dublin though so its not particularly handy to get to and when you factor in petrol it makes it more expensive. I wonder is there a reason why Skinners is not more widely stocked here does anyone know? Argh, this really is a pain! Our last bag of Skinners will be finished in the next couple of weeks so I think we will have to get another from Petbliss until we decide if we are going to change or not. What will you be paying for Taste of the Wild Prairie?

pet bliss do deliver but charge more for the product when they deliver (they have some kind of regulars discount if you collect) so their cost for skinners duck and rice is €37.90 plus €3 delivery (free delivery if you spend over €39) so a little cheaper than your price so far.

Sit down for this - Prairie (which is the cheaper taste of the wild but still grain free) from zooplus.ie is €59.99 for 13.5k, no delivery (€57.90 from .de). I have considered before changing to a better quality food so amazon have prompted me to make the leap. Will be cutting back other places to balance as a big increase but am hoping they may eat a bit less (wishful thinking with a lab!!!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Vel wrote: »
    I have priced Skinners at €46.99 from Dogfooddirect. It is a significant leap in price from the great Amazon deal we were getting. Is there anything around that price tag that is easily available in most pet stores and might be better quality than Skinners, as I know its not the best, although not the worst either! If we have to pay more I want to make sure we are getting the best quality there is for that price range, and this may not be Skinners
    Only one I got in mind would possibly be Markus Muhle NaturNah but no chance you'd get that one in a store I'd say.

forgot to say that zooplus.de do 2 bags of taste of the wild for €100 - I have just ordered one bag to see if my two will switch over ok and then will order 2 bags at a time (which will work out at twice the price of skinners on amazon)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

Damn got that dreaded email too. My dog had been doing great on it. Anyone get to the bottom of why they stopped shipping to Ireland?

Anyone try either of these alternatives on Amazon. Didn't see the one with joint aid before.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skinners-Field-Trial-Turkey-Joint/dp/B004P89QGW/ref=sr_1_17?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1416866778&sr=1-17&keywords=skinners+field+and+trial+15kg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skinner-Field-Trial-Duck-Complete/dp/B008B5QSYS/ref=sr_1_13?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1416866182&sr=1-13&keywords=skinners+field+and+trial

I think the lower price of Skinners was down to it being vat free. What similar quality alternatives are there in and around the price we paid?

gooner99 wrote: »
    Damn got that dreaded email too. My dog had been doing great on it. Anyone get to the bottom of why they stopped shipping to Ireland?

Anyone try either of these alternatives on Amazon. Didn't see the one with joint aid before.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skinners-Field-Trial-Turkey-Joint/dp/B004P89QGW/ref=sr_1_17?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1416866778&sr=1-17&keywords=skinners+field+and+trial+15kg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skinner-Field-Trial-Duck-Complete/dp/B008B5QSYS/ref=sr_1_13?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1416866182&sr=1-13&keywords=skinners+field+and+trial

I think the lower price of Skinners was down to it being vat free. What similar quality alternatives are there in and around the price we paid?

It's a strange one alright! I am still getting burns alert which is vat free from them! Is the first one vat free?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I know that Skinners now have a rep here, so maybe they want people to buy from Irish retailers that they are supplying, trying to build the brand here, rather than get it from the UK, although I don't know if they have any say about whether UK online retailers can sell it over here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

I saw that Medicanimal.com had it keenly priced £23.90 per 15kg, with free delivery over £80. When I went to checkout though, the VAT was added on to it, bringing it to £29.40 per bag which is on a par with what Pet Bliss charge.
    I actually picked some up from Pet Bliss last week as I was out in Wicklow. I have family out there so would be out that way regularly enough anyway. I'm going to look into their regulars discount to see how that works.

Advertisement