Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Gaming, General & Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Based on that photo above id start by moving it flush with the edge of the table.
    I like to have my palm almost flush too and my arm drops down, i find this a lot more comfy than placing hand/mouse further in from the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Is it the stitching part that irritates you, GB?

No it's... hard to explain..

I hold my mouse in such a way that the hypothenar region of my hand lightly touches the mat, so when I move around playing an FPS, for example, that part of my hand is brushing off of the mat, and when I do it fast and often enough, it feels like a light burn.

image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yea looks like all you need is to wear some sort of sleeve.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000YBZZU0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use one of these, went from having constant wrist pain (in before the jokes) to having absolutely no wrist pain. I know it's a slightly different issue but they are not expensive so might be worth a try.

And do you actually need that mat? What is it there for? A laser mouse should work on any surface surely.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000YBZZU0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use one of these, went from having constant wrist pain (in before the jokes) to having absolutely no wrist pain. I know it's a slightly different issue but they are not expensive so might be worth a try.

And do you actually need that mat? What is it there for? A laser mouse should work on any surface surely.

Using the mouse mat improves tracking when I play FPS games (or anything involving "aiming"). The give of the mouse mat is far more forgiving than that of a solid desk. If I use it without a mat, my aiming can be a little erratic, especially when aiming from a distance. That's why I play with a low DPI. It eliminates any shaking sensation while playing, but the cost of that is the need to have more room, hence the large mouse mat (and a larger desk), and also the amount of moving I'd be doing with said mouse.

Overall it feels nicer, minus the uncomfortable rubbing of my wrist off the mat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Felt this wasn't worth its own Topic. Bought GTA IV through Steam. PS5 controller gets detected by Steam and works fine with other games.

However it will not work at all with GTA. I'm assuming this is due to the game launching via Rockstars program. I've tried DS4 Windows but that doesn't seem to detect the PS5 controller.

Anyone know a work around / fix ?

*Edit* I've gotten DS4 working but it seems I need to completely map the controller myself. Any solution or where you can download profiles ?

Soby wrote: »
    Felt this wasn't worth its own Topic. Bought GTA IV through Steam. PS5 controller gets detected by Steam and works fine with other games.

However it will not work at all with GTA. I'm assuming this is due to the game launching via Rockstars program. I've tried DS4 Windows but that doesn't seem to detect the PS5 controller.

Anyone know a work around / fix ?

*Edit* I've gotten DS4 working but it seems I need to completely map the controller myself. Any solution or where you can download profiles ?

Steam's own controller configuration tool allows you to download one of many different profiles. You need to make sure that your PlayStation controller is actually enabled as well. I'm assuming it goes the same way for the DS5 as well?

image.png
    image.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Steam's own controller configuration tool allows you to download one of many different profiles. You need to make sure that your PlayStation controller is actually enabled as well. I'm assuming it goes the same way for the DS5 as well?

image.png
    image.png

Yeah I think I was messing around with that profile download section too with no joy. Main issue seems to be the fact it launches from the rockstar launcher and not Stream I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I have a ridiculous question. Apparently, GPU prices have gone mental again. Is it still the cryptocurrency thing? I looked for the GPU I bought in late 2017, a Gigabyte Radeon RX580 and it's £781. I spent £289.98 on it then.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I have a ridiculous question. Apparently, GPU prices have gone mental again. Is it still the cryptocurrency thing? I looked for the GPU I bought in late 2017, a Gigabyte Radeon RX580 and it's £781. I spent £289.98 on it then.

100% a crypto thing. Bitcoin breached all-time-high a few times over the past few months and is close again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Ooh, AMD friend!

IIRC, weren't RX580s popular for mining in the last crypto boom? I remember feeling relieved when I got mine in a sale in late 2017, thinking that I'd beaten the scalpers. I suppose their bots weren't so pervasive back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think there's also been chip shortages (although I might be thinking of shortages for other components - there was certainly a RAM shortage there for a while), and AMD are also providing the chips for the Xbox and PS5, and probably don't have the manufacturing capacity to provide enough stock for PC cards to meet demand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Ooh, AMD friend!

IIRC, weren't RX580s popular for mining in the last crypto boom? I remember feeling relieved when I got mine in a sale in late 2017, thinking that I'd beaten the scalpers. I suppose their bots weren't so pervasive back then.

I don't know. £289 might have been a bit inflated. I only got it because it was on the list of stuff I got from the lads on the PCBU forum.
    Gbear wrote: »
    I think there's also been chip shortages (although I might be thinking of shortages for other components - there was certainly a RAM shortage there for a while), and AMD are also providing the chips for the Xbox and PS5, and probably don't have the manufacturing capacity to provide enough stock for PC cards to meet demand.

Oh? That would make sense but it's not a great look for them IMO.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

AMD & Nvidia don't have their own fabs, they're all outsourced.

Any additional demand caused by consoles is on the industry as a whole and not limited to just effecting GPUs and effects pretty much anything that isn't from Intel or Samsung.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Oh? That would make sense but it's not a great look for them IMO.

I'm sure they're happy enough so long as the chips are getting sold. And their market share is much stronger in the CPU space.

In general, I think the company as a whole is in pretty good shape. 2020 was their best year ever.

Varik wrote: »
    AMD & Nvidia don't have their own fabs, they're all outsourced.

Any additional demand caused by consoles is on the industry as a whole and not limited to just effecting GPUs and effects pretty much anything that isn't from Intel or Samsung.

Fab?

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Fab?

fabrication plant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

My PC is starting to struggle with stuff recently. Just tried Star Wars Squadrons last night and it really struggled. Its grand for games that are a year old but anything new and it struggles. Ive upgraded bits and pieces over the years but dont think i can do any more. Must check in on the PC building thread.

Mine occasionally makes chirping noises for some reason. Like crickets.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Mine occasionally makes chirping noises for some reason. Like crickets.

Have you looked inside in case it is crickets?

• Advertisement

MOH wrote: »
    Have you looked inside in case it is crickets?

Yep. Just found PC bits and dust.

H. H. Asquith

I recently put a plank under my PC as it was resting on carpet. I cannot believe the difference in temperature and fan speeds.

I recently put a plank under my PC as it was resting on carpet. I cannot believe the difference in temperature and fan speeds.

I can. That's on the first page of the PC Building Almanac.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Glebee wrote: »
    My PC is starting to struggle with stuff recently. Just tried Star Wars Squadrons last night and it really struggled. Its grand for games that are a year old but anything new and it struggles. Ive upgraded bits and pieces over the years but dont think i can do any more. Must check in on the PC building thread.

Thats the frostbite engine, can you play the latest BFs ok? If so it may be a Star Wars issue and not your PC.

I can. That's on the first page of the PC Building Almanac.

PC gaming for 25+ years, building many along the way and I never knew

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Thats the frostbite engine, can you play the latest BFs ok? If so it may be a Star Wars issue and not your PC.

All the BFs play good as well as Warzone. AC: Valhalla and Odyssey playes decent. Its only now and again I have issues with some titles which is a killer as I dont want to scrap a PC that plays 90% of titles very good. Ones that spring to mind are AC:Origins, SW: Fallen Order, SW Squadrons, Ghost Recon:Breakpont that I have issues with. Im going to try to hang onto this setup for another 12 months and go for a new rig in March 2022 I think.

PC gaming for 25+ years, building many along the way and I never knew

Just think of all the dust that PSU was sucking up. Give your system a good blast of air.

Did anyone see the new security log in captcha with the dice that have to add up to 14. FFS what sort of fcukwit came up with that. You have to make go through at least 6 guesses and if you get one wrong you have to make 10

• Registered Users Posts: 28,801 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Our maybe you're a robot?

Haven't seen that one yet and from the sound of it, I wouldn't want to. Hard enough getting them to believe I have clicked every bicycle or trying to identify if something is a shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Its funny how they use the one thing ai is really great at, pattern recognition.

Advertisement