Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New incentive coming?

Options
  • 20-10-2014 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

I had a Leaf out for a few days over the weekend. I think its a great car and very nice to drive. The range of it would be perfect for my needs as a second family car. When I brought it back the dealer told me that the trade was expecting an announcement sometime in the next couple of weeks to reinvigorate the EV market as the take up is far below expectations. He claimed he didn't know what it might be but that it would benefit the purchaser.
    Watch this space.

Comments

Don't think so, would have been announced in the budget .

Unless it's something like being allowed to drive in bus lanes which I highly doubt, but either way I'd say you were hearing sales BS !

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

either way I'd say you were hearing sales BS !

Maybe your'e right, but to be honest he wasn't trying to squeeze a sale. It was more like 'sit tight and see what comes up in the next few weeks'. If nothing happens I will probably commit anyway but if there is something then it will be interesting to see what it might be, if anything worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭noelf

denismac wrote: »
    Maybe your'e right, but to be honest he wasn't trying to squeeze a sale. It was more like 'sit tight and see what comes up in the next few weeks'. If nothing happens I will probably commit anyway but if there is something then it will be interesting to see what it might be, if anything worthwhile.

I"m going to take that advice so .. its between a E-golf or a Edition 40 golf don"t know which way to jump yet ..:rolleyes:

noelf wrote: »
    I"m going to take that advice so .. its between a E-golf or a Edition 40 golf don"t know which way to jump yet ..:rolleyes:

At a starting price of 32,500 Euro's the E-Golf is a hard sell considering it doesn't even include the heat pump. It is hugely over priced, it's basically an ICE conversion, it's not a proper EV built from the ground up.

It doesn't offer any advantage that we know of yet over the leaf.

The battery may be better but we don't know.

The Kia Soul EV was rated as having 93 miles range by the EPA which is better than all affordable electrics so far and it has a battery heater and heat pump so should fair a lot better than the Golf in cold weather.

Perhaps the soul needs to be plugged in though for the heater to work ? that I don't know yet.

It includes the heat pump and a battery heater, again, a must have.

It's not the best looking car but as an e.v is't about the best that will arrive by 2015. Provided it was big enough it would be the one I'd buy if I wanted an ev because at 93 miles I could make a trip from my home in the south of Kildare to Tallaght for instance and back home on one charge, Some parts of Dublin would require a 5-10 min fast charge.

The Soul also has ChaDeMo the Golf has CCS and there are many more ChaDemo Chargers atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

He could have been talking about the new iniatives that are being launched in Cork tomorrow but could possibly come online in other cities and towns, such as free parking etc.

• Advertisement

Well, not a lot of incentive but a start at least. Lets see.

BTW the site for the new incentives is http://drive4zero.ie

Villain wrote: »

First details are up .. I won't spoil it for you .. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭positron

Zero parking costs (in Cork), zero fuel costs (free charging), €5000 SEAI grant (this is not new, is it?), zero% finance and (or?) zero deposit finance.

I like the sound of that zero% finance. I wonder if this scheme is not just Cork specific or open to rest of the country as well.

From what I know at present Nissan are doing 0% deposit but not 0% finance, however the rate may be dropping. I'll know for sure tomorrow.

• Advertisement

A dealer told me today that they were expecting the 0% finance to be announced this week and were surprised it wasn't. I'd say we will probably hear more in the coming week.

Nissan will have a 4.9% offering but requires 30% deposit!.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,296 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They seem to be missing vw as a partner on the drive4zero website.
    Error, or are vw not on board with this scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭hsilgnede

positron wrote: »
    Zero parking costs (in Cork), zero fuel costs (free charging), €5000 SEAI grant (this is not new, is it?), zero% finance and (or?) zero deposit finance.

I like the sound of that zero% finance. I wonder if this scheme is not just Cork specific or open to rest of the country as well.

I can't see how they could keep something like zero % finance local to Cork. Everyone in the country who wants one on finance would go to Cork, the other dealerships would be up in arms.

The grant and the free fuel costs are not new. The free parking is already in place in some counties, not in others, depends on how the local council views the whole project. A lot of them rely heavily on parking as a source of revenue and guard it with their lives. They don't want an EV "blocking" a charging space for hours and not giving them any revenue when they could cycle 3-4 other paying cars through in the same time frame. Other councils are more open to it and have passed bye laws to allow EV's to park free in the charge spots so long as they are charging.

mickdw wrote: »
    They seem to be missing vw as a partner on the drive4zero website.
    Error, or are vw not on board with this scheme?

The E-Golf interest rate is 3.9 not bad i suppose in comparison to the others ..

I'm more in favour of the Kia Soul Ev now at this stage, reports of people breaking the 100 mile barrier.

Regardless, I think it's got the better technology. The leaf, after all, is 4 years old now and that's a fair amount of time for technology to progress. still a good car but if I end up working Dublin again next year then I'll need as much range as possible.

I'm more in favour of the Kia Soul Ev now at this stage, reports of people breaking the 100 mile barrier.

Regardless, I think it's got the better technology. The leaf, after all, is 4 years old now and that's a fair amount of time for technology to progress. still a good car but if I end up working Dublin again next year then I'll need as much range as possible.

Horses for courses Mad-lad .. just cant over the looks of the kia despite the better range of the car .. would probably have to see it Bmw i3 is not my cup of tea either

the soul ev is no great looker but as electrics go, its about the best affordable ev on the way.

as long as the interior is decent enough then that will be good enough for me, and it has to be spacious enough too. I spend all my time in a car rather than sit looking at the exterior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Many thanks for that ,at least your Minister is making a positive effort, we have politicians in the North recently in print (Irish News), calling for the Ecar project to be shut down.

In this case sadly the Minister mislead the public!

• Advertisement

In this case sadly the Minister mislead the public!

Did I read on the Ecarni.com site that 600K sterling is coming for new CPs in the north, including 7Kva at last?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭tronman

Hoping someone can help me.

I'm looking to buy a new Nissan Leaf, I see they start at €21,490, but am confused as what incentives (if any) I could get. Also does anyone know what the current finance deal is?

Thanks in advance

tronman wrote: »
    Hoping someone can help me.

I'm looking to buy a new Nissan Leaf, I see they start at €21,490, but am confused as what incentives (if any) I could get. Also does anyone know what the current finance deal is?

Thanks in advance

First off, I'm sure you have done your research that the Leaf meets your daily mileage needs ?

It starts at 21,490 but you need to make sure you get the fast charge port if that's not included in the price because it's not standard in the base model.

The base model also does not include the much more efficient heat pump for the heater. You got to go to the mid spec for that.

The base model also does not include remote activation of charging, heating or AC. Or sat nav.

Not sure on the finance plans, I would be opting for PCP because it would suit me.

The Kia Soul EV is a better ev if it makes it to Ireland, it's sold in the U.K, I can't get confirmation from Kia Ireland if it is coming to Ireland, my guess is it depends on whether Kia dealers are willing to invest on training their mechanics and equipment, whether they see there will be a market for it in Ireland. Perhaps there will be one or two dealers who will sell it.

It's got a decent bit more range then the Leaf/ Zoe/ I3/ E-golf.

It's got a heated battery which makes all the difference in colder weather, + it's got the largest battery, even though it's not very aerodynamic it can still travel 100 miles @ 62 mph, level ground, no mad head winds no rain.

It will cost more than the basic and probably mid spec leaf.

Thanks very much for the reply. In terms of the 5,000 governed grant, is that already accounted for in the prices on the nissan website?

Yep prices shown after the grant has been applied.

If I was to buy a 2nd hand leaf, is there anything to consider? Ie. is there much of a difference in range with older models? Also I heard it's cheaper to import them from the uk - anyone have experience of this?

If I was to buy a 2nd hand leaf, is there anything to consider? Ie. is there much of a difference in range with older models? Also I heard it's cheaper to import them from the uk - anyone have experience of this?

If you are not completely sold on a Leaf, the Zoe is a good car for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

reboot wrote: »
    If you are not completely sold on a Leaf, the Zoe is a good car for the price.

Zoe is a great looking car ,great charger but the lease is killing it. Ive asked zoe owners and maybe some can answer it here.
    What happens after 3 year lease,if you refuse to pay, will the lease be cheaper if it continues. No body who has invested in this car can tell me. people are under the impression that a new battery will just be put in.
    If its likes Nissans lease in uk, only a new battery will be put in if battery falls below 3 bars, same as if you owned the battery.
    Also the limited mileage can hurt the zoe as an EV will be more cost effective the more mileage you do you save.
    I like the Zoe buy a lease with no clear future is a worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

Importing can be cheaper but also a headache and alot of work.
    It could cost you more than in Ireland if you get it wrong. Make an offer on a used leaf in Ireland the second hand market seems to be growing and more competitive.
    Buying a ICE in UK is far easier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

mr.dunkey wrote: »
    Zoe is a great looking car ,great charger but the lease is killing it. Ive asked zoe owners and maybe some can answer it here.
    What happens after 3 year lease,if you refuse to pay, will the lease be cheaper if it continues. No body who has invested in this car can tell me. people are under the impression that a new battery will just be put in.
    If its likes Nissans lease in uk, only a new battery will be put in if battery falls below 3 bars, same as if you owned the battery.
    Also the limited mileage can hurt the zoe as an EV will be more cost effective the more mileage you do you save.
    I like the Zoe buy a lease with no clear future is a worry.

The lease is the equivalent of very cheap petrol in my head. After 3 years the contract just gets renewed for whatever the rates are. The battery will not be replaced unless the capacity drops below 75%. Technically the contract states it will be repaired or replaced but since this is not an easy task I think replacement is a lot more likely.

In the UK you can buy Zoe with batteries included. I think the supplement is £4500 or more. This is a lot of battery lease before it becomes more expensive to own than a Leaf. By the time my battery gets replaced for free a Leaf battery may also be at around 75%. A replacement Leaf battery is still going to make the car more expensive than a Zoe.

Biggest reason to pick a Zoe over a Leaf is the charger. Far superior to the Leaf. Leaf is bigger and according to some a nice drive.

Horses for courses I suppose :)

Advertisement