Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has social media ruined the nightlife?

Options
  • 20-10-2014 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭

I remember when nightclubs were simple places. They were all about booze, music and getting the shift. Now they've become glorified photo studios where people stand around looking good for facebook photos. So many are glued to their smart phones. They spend more time recording the moment than actually living it. I can't go out and enjoy myself now without people sticking cameras in my face.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

No my date here seems happy enough. I text him a minute ago and he sent me a smiley face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

*jots up comment then notices username. Ctrl + A + Delete*

Well played sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I remember when nightclubs were simple places. They were all about booze, music and getting the shift. Now they've become glorified photo studios where people stand around looking good for facebook photos. So many are glued to their smart phones. They spend more time recording the moment than actually living it. I can't go out and enjoy myself now without people sticking cameras in my face.

It still is just walk away from the camera if you don't like them being in your face or just change the nightclub you go to ?.

I see notting wrong being glued to my smart phone LoL might end up finding out some great facts to tell who your trying to get the shift off :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

*jots up comment then notices username. Ctrl + A + Delete*

Well played sir.

Yes clubs were far better when Mr. Vain was around. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,093 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Waking up to discover that you've been tagged in a photo after a night out is this generation's version of cringing when you bump into a girl at mass that you shifted the night before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭solomafioso

Yes clubs were far better when Mr. Vain was around. :D

*nods*

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Waking up to discover that you've been tagged in a photo after a night out is this generation's version of cringing when you bump into a girl at mass that you shifted the night before.

Exactly. I'm always afraid to log into facebook after a night out in case I see an embarrassing photo of myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,156 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

No, knobs have ruined Irish nightlife.

Social media will still be there in the morning if you go to a pub and don't surf on your bloody phone, instead decide to have a bit of craic, and God forbid, socializing.

Same people have also ruined the Xmas night out. Used to be mental craic with a chance to make a balls of yourself. The last 3 or 4 I have been at have been very tame, as everyone is afraid of ending up plastered over FB or YT doing something embarrassing that will haunt them for ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

<duckface>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Nightclubs have always been about two things, maximising profit, minimising hassle. People stuck in their phones rather than sticking their glasses in someone's head can only be a good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

2014: And humanity has evolved to a point where Narcissism seems to be perfectly acceptable. Living ones life through a lenses, rather than just living in the moment. Quite sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Nightclubs have always been shite, you cant have a conversation, they are very expensive, filthy and lots of them are death traps (The old Reds on Westmoreland Street is an exampe). The pub is far better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Nightclubs have always been about two things, maximising profit, minimising hassle. People stuck in their phones rather than sticking their glasses in someone's head can only be a good thing.

Was people sticking their glasses in someone's head a common sat night thing, not in my neck of the woods. Where do you live in limerick city is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I remember the days of the digital camera, where you'd take a million photos. To be honest, nobody really takes photos anymore. I mean, I might take a snapchat of me some part of the night sitting on the toilet keeping one eye open, but that doesn't really count, does it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I was doing an Ann Summers party at the weekend, bunch of ladies drinking and laughing at sex toys. Great atmosphere and good fun. Then, all of a sudden, all hell broke lose when girl A discovered that girl B had put an unflattering picture of her up on Facebook. Atmosphere was in the pot from then on.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I was doing an Ann Summers party at the weekend, bunch of ladies drinking and laughing at sex toys. Great atmosphere and good fun. Then, all of a sudden, all hell broke lose when girl A discovered that girl B had put an unflattering picture of her up on Facebook. Atmosphere was in the pot from then on.

In fairness that could have gotten a lot worse very fast. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Going to the wrong places OP. I haven't been to a nightclub in probably 10 years, so I haven't witnessed this phenomenon. I prefer to just hang out with friends in the pub until the small hours, and this definitely doesn't happen there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

2014: And humanity has evolved to a point where Narcissism seems to be perfectly acceptable. Living ones life through a lenses, rather than just living in the moment. Quite sad really.

Not just nightclubs either. Holidays and concert seem to be lived through a lens these days too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

jimgoose wrote: »
    In fairness that could have gotten a lot worse very fast. :pac:

Dildos at dawn!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the abolition of slow sets have ruined discos

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

nightlife in ireland is'nt ruined by social media imo.
    i think it's because there's never any middle ground - it's a choice between hipster "twisted pepper" horrible kips with rubbish music, or knacker infested hell holes.

gone are the days of having some sort of middle ground music/people wise.

plus, the younger generation are of age now to join us in these places, and what they do, they will carry over into their nightlife...

i still cant get over how young they all look. children - literally!!!
    nearly want to take the drink outta their hands sometimes and tell them to go home to their mammy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

I believe it has, I tend to glare at people or make lots of sighs and huffing and puffing and eye rolling when someone gets their phone out

• Registered Users Posts: 33,124 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

No, people absuing and getting addicted to social media has ruined nights out.

I was never a fan of nightclubs for exactly the same reasons you mention - booze was expensive, music was ****e and the place was full of randy perverts - so I'm proabbly not a great critic.

That said, I have been known to go to the bathroom during dinenr out with friends, phone one of them up and start a conversation even though he's sitting at the same table.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

They spend more time recording the moment than actually living it.
    Living ones life through a lenses, rather than just living in the moment.

It's always a point that comes up when people talk about the use of phones at concerts, clubs etc. My take on it is that not every moment needs to be recorded and I agree that there are way too many people who are constantly looking through a lens but then at the same time it's good to have something to look back on rather than rely solely on memory. As a follow on, I also think the use of smart phones has in a way screwed with our capability to store memories properly. Our brains seem to have become conditioned to discard memory easier when we know that we have a digital version of an event that we can look back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I haven't been to a nightclub since before smart phones became common so I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

No, people absuing and getting addicted to social media has ruined nights out.

I was never a fan of nightclubs for exactly the same reasons you mention - booze was expensive, music was ****e and the place was full of randy perverts - so I'm proabbly not a great critic.

That said, I have been known to go to the bathroom during dinenr out with friends, phone one of them up and start a conversation even though he's sitting at the same table.

Why? jayney I know I wouldn't like to speak to someone using the loo while I'm at dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,124 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    Why? jayney I know I wouldn't like to speak to someone using the loo while I'm at dinner.

Actual place is irrelevant - I could be outside with the smokers, accross the street, in the kitchen... Not wanting to talk to me on the phone when I'm actually there is the point.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Its getting annoying now you cant do anything without some sticking a camera/phone in your face. Not just nightclubs but every social gathering seems to require it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I feel blessed to have been frequenting night clubs in the 90s before fakebook and camera phones were a thing. People should be left to gurn in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

it's not the pictures they take that annoy me - it's the monday mornings when they decide to upload all their filtered photos where they look great, and HASHTAG EVERYTHING....

eh... we all know yiz dont look like that in reality - dopes!! :P DDHDHHMMMDDHHH!!!

Advertisement