Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching to Android (Recommendations)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

I am thinking of going the other way. Have had an S2, S3, M7 One. Thinking of getting the iphone6 over the M8.
    M8 would cost me a fraction of the price of iphone and I keep thinking why. Just for a new toy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

glasso wrote: »
    z3 compact best option if you must have a smaller type phone as it's pretty much the only smaller android phone that has the power of a bigger phone. sony ui known as the least bloated of the non-stock (google) ui's. samsung probably being the worst (although some people do like touchwiz I suppose).

In my experience the Sony UI is not great. lots of bloat in there and not very close to stock at all. Really nice hardware let down badly by the software. It tends to be buggy and lags an awful lot.
    Motorola probably the closest to stock or if you can get a Google Play Edition device.
    My advice (not that any will heed it) is stay clear of the Sony

In my experience the Sony UI is not great. lots of bloat in there and not very close to stock at all. Really nice hardware let down badly by the software. It tends to be buggy and lags an awful lot.
    Motorola probably the closest to stock or if you can get a Google Play Edition device.

which model are you basing this on? I have the z2 (3gb ram)and it's very responsive - never lags. if you don't like the sony ui you can easily install a launcher...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

AH lord, just before i could unfollow thread!! ;)

Can you root the phone and just put Kit Kat on it?

BKWDR wrote: »
    AH lord, just before i could unfollow thread!! ;)

Can you root the phone and just put Kit Kat on it?

opinions differ on this - some people prefer one over the other - go into a store and have a look at the phones. if you use a launcher app you can change the look of any phone without rooting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

which model are you basing this on? I have the z2 (3gb ram)and it's very responsive - never lags. if you don't like the sony ui you can easily install a launcher...

Tried and owned a good few. S, T, U, M, E, E1, Tipo have all spent some time in my house and I have had relatives purchase some Xperia phones and call me to try to fix or speed them up, they were all the same. Nice hardware software was not great. Lots of bloat like Timescape, FB connect yolk, Album, Some iffy camera apps, the dialer was awful. Some nice stuff but overall I think the only way to go is as close to stock as possible.
    I know it's fine to say install a launcher or root to get rid of the bloat but out of the box the Sony UI is not great in my experience

Currently we have a Moto a Nexus and a Samsung in the house and Nexus is streets ahead with Moto not too far behind but the Samsung is now rooted and running Slimkat as TouchWiz was awful. We still have a backup of a Sony Xperia U but I dread ever having to use it in an emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

I've had a Sony x10 before and that did have some bloatware but the Z3 is pretty good imo. Nothing installed that's noticeably intrusive. The ui has changed a lot too. Not as "heavy" as the x10

Ok didn't know what people were talking about when they typed 'OPO' but now have read the threads and my curiosity is peaked. Is it a game changer phone? Is it worth looking into?

Bit of a hassle to pre order / get invite etc

Ok didn't know what people were talking about when they typed 'OPO' but now have read the threads and my curiosity is peaked. Is it a game changer phone? Is it worth looking into?

Bit of a hassle to pre order / get invite etc

it's really very good value for the hardware. having seen and played around with one it's just a tiny bit too big for me and is not as premium in finish as some other phones. cost is about €340 for the 64gb model delivered after allowing for sterling.

it's really very good value for the hardware. having seen and played around with one it's just a tiny bit too big for me and is not as premium in finish as some other phones. cost is about €340 for the 64gb model delivered after allowing for sterling.

Actually had just twigged the size, it would be bigger than my S3 which is what i am trying to move away from i guess. Can't beat that value though

• Advertisement

Actually had just twigged the size, it would be bigger than my S3 which is what i am trying to move away from i guess. Can't beat that value though

it would be WAY bigger than an S3.

see this.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/size/Samsung-Galaxy-S5,Samsung-Galaxy-S-III/phones/8202,6330#/phones/size/Samsung-Galaxy-S-III,OnePlus-One/phones/6330,8603

Very handy site!

You're right. Great value but yeah the size is a bit too much, would kill the hand of ya...

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

For what it's worth, I'm an experienced Android user and have been considering upgrades recently - if I were choosing, my shortlist (Short...ish) would be:

- Sony Z3 (5.2 inch screen)
    - Sony Z3 Compact (4.6 inch screen, but with similar power as above)
    - HTC One M8 (Universally loved)
    - Moto X
    - Nexus 5
    - Nexus 6 (Almost the same as Moto X but larger screen)
    - Moto G (if on a very tight budget)
    - One Plus One (difficult to purchase though)
    - OPPO Find 7 (also might be difficult to find)
    - Samsung Galaxy Alpha (Nice phone but: Samsung's software is a pain and overpriced)

Personally, I think I'll go with a Sony. I think it looks beautiful and has plenty of power, good camera, good screen, and great battery life. But it is made of glass front and back, so I'll go feel it before purchasing (as another poster suggested).

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    For what it's worth, I'm an experienced Android user and have been considering upgrades recently - if I were choosing, my shortlist (Short...ish) would be:

- Sony Z3 (5.2 inch screen)
    - Sony Z3 Compact (4.6 inch screen, but with similar power as above)
    - HTC One M8 (Universally loved)
    - Moto X
    - Nexus 5
    - Nexus 6 (Almost the same as Moto X but larger screen)
    - Moto G (if on a very tight budget)
    - One Plus One (difficult to purchase though)
    - OPPO Find 7 (also might be difficult to find)
    - Samsung Galaxy Alpha (Nice phone but: Samsung's software is a pain and overpriced)

Personally, I think I'll go with a Sony. I think it looks beautiful and has plenty of power, good camera, good screen, and great battery life. But it is made of glass front and back, so I'll go feel it before purchasing (as another poster suggested).

z2 is available for a lot cheaper if you're going to buy outright, i.e. not on billpay. 400 vs 570 on vodafone ready to go for example. there is very little difference between the z2 and z3 as Sony release new phones every 6 months as opposed to once a year for other manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

z2 is available for a lot cheaper if you're going to buy outright, i.e. not on billpay. 400 vs 570 on vodafone ready to go for example. there is very little difference between the z2 and z3 as Sony release new phones every 6 months as opposed to once a year for other manufacturers.

You're right, but I just prefer the appearance of the Z3 and I'm vain. Definitely the Z2 offers better value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm probably throwing the cat into the bag here but since the OP was mentioned..
    Why not look at the Xiaomi Mi3 / Mi4. Or the zte nubia z7 mini/ max.

I had the Mi3 a few weeks until my son decided it helped him teething.
    I'm waiting on a new screen from China but it was a really nice phone.
    I'm looking at the z7 mini as a replacement

just to specify differences

2.5ghz vs 2.3ghz processors
    Very marginally smaller and thinner - nothing in it except a mm here or there.

screen is a bit brighter but it's fine on z2. z2 over z1 was a big upgrade. it's marginal in z3 vs z3.

also with the Z2 you get the noise cancelling earphones which don't come with the z3.

I have the z2 and I love it - coming from samsung it's way better.

I got white and recommend it - less visible fingerprints on the back and the front is all black anyways.

use the sim port trick that I mentioned above to get it for €380.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I got a bargain new Nexus 5 for €260 on eBay. It's a superb phone. I nearly bought the Opo but wasn't sure about the size.

The Nexus is so smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Discodog wrote: »
    I got a bargain new Nexus 5 for €260 on eBay. It's a superb phone. I nearly bought the Opo but wasn't sure about the size.

The Nexus is so smooth.

Buttery smooth...

:P

If I do get a Nexus 6 it will be a while yet, still haven't decided if I want a bigger screen on my phone, I work outdoors mainly so I prefer something relatively small in my pocket...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,852 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Fieldog wrote: »
    Buttery smooth...

:P

If I do get a Nexus 6 it will be a while yet, still haven't decided if I want a bigger screen on my phone, I work outdoors mainly so I prefer something relatively small in my pocket...

I definitely wouldn't get the Nexus 6. The 5 is more than adequate. I too work outdoors & the Nexus 5 with a Spigen Slim Armour case is perfect - still fits a shirt pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Just out of interest what do you find the Play Store lacks in comparison to Apple Store?

Just to clarify also you don't need a Google+ account to use all of Androids goodies. A Google+ account is not required for someone to use an Android device. You are most likely to get the best experience if you have a Google account and a G+ profile but just a Google account would do also. Most people who use them will have a Google+ profile, but there will be some who do not.

Only seeing this now - Content, really, ease of navigation - I prefer the iOS app store's layout. Google's seems ... messy in comparison, I don't know, just not used to it maybe?

The selection regarding games at least, is poorer too. I've never seen so many 'hidden object' games in one place. You play one of those, you've played them all! And it seems well behind on new releases. The App;e app store updates weekly, there's always a bunch of new games and apps to whet your appetite. Not finding that with Google tbh. Where else should I be looking to?

I had a G+ account already, just tried it when it came about first. At least I have some reason to use it :D

Advertisement