Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silly Weather Warnings

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Tarzana wrote: »
    I've totally lost interest in this. Bizarre thing to be bothered about. And the fact that this thread just about made 3 pages on a lazy Sunday... well, that says it all.

In other words, you've been proved wrong and have instead resorted to attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

On the paper last week, a farmer in Clare lost 23 cattle due to lightning.

Silly weather warning was February 12th this year, we had an amber warning for the storm in Kilkenny. During the height of it and when it was too late to do anything, the weather warning was changed to red.
    Miracle no one was killed given how many trees fell down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

In other words, you've been proved wrong and have instead resorted to attacks.

Proven wrong? :pac: Nah, your waffle led me into a stupor. Look, over there, THE WEATHERMAN IS SAYING ANNOYING THINGS AGAIN!!!

Once again, great party thread, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Heckler

MarkR wrote: »
    Thunder scares a lot of house pets.

So what do you do ? Put ear protectors on them ? What good is advance warning regarding pets ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Heckler

weisses wrote: »
    One cannot have thunder without lightning

If there is a risk of thunder then there is a risk of lightning ... Unless your under 6 or something you should know they come as a package deal

Not always. Often heard thunder with no sign of lightning. A risk sure but not always the case. And yes, I'm over 6....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Heckler wrote: »
    Not always. Often heard thunder with no sign of lightning. A risk sure but not always the case. And yes, I'm over 6....
    Thunder is caused by lightning. If you heard thunder & didn't notice or see the lightning then it must have been high altitude lightning, which can't be seen from the ground.

Either that or it wasn't thunder you heard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Heckler wrote: »
    So what do you do ? Put ear protectors on them ? What good is advance warning regarding pets ?

So you know to keep them in, rather than risk them running away in fear during a storm.

Bizarre thread. 'I don't need these weather warnings, therefore no-one does'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I suspect that lightning would be dangerous if you're flying a kite, or doing some building/maintenance work on top of tall buildings or metal structures.

Always enjoyed this - its one of my guilty pleasures :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Thunder is caused by lightning. If you heard thunder & didn't notice or see the lightning then it must have been high altitude lightning, which can't be seen from the ground.

Either that or it wasn't thunder you heard!

Precisely. There's little point informing us of a risk of thunder when the actual risk is from lightning. Thunder, after all, is the fart of lightning as it rips through the sky. The origin of thunder lies with lightning, and it's with lightning where the risk lies. This may seem a pedantic point, but on analysis, you'll find it's impossible to disagree with.

Advertisement