Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silly Weather Warnings

Options
  • 19-10-2014 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭

Can anyone think of any ridiculous weather warnings?

Today's one comes courtesy of Gerald Fleming:

"...with the risk of thunder."

I can understand the risk of flooding, and I can understand the risk of snow, but I cannot understand what is meant by the risk of thunder. It poses no risk whatsoever - maybe the accompanying rain and lighting might pose such a risk, but meteorological farts are more entertaining than risky.

When it comes to summer, we'll encounter equally absurd warnings:

"...wear sunscreen as the temperatures will hit up to 24 degrees in places."

While there is a risk of sunburn, we don't need the likes of Gerald Fleming and his ilk patronizing people about the dangers of the Sun.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I can understand the risk of flooding, and I can understand the risk of snow, but I cannot understand what is meant by the risk of thunder. It poses no risk whatsoever - maybe the accompanying rain and lighting might pose such a risk, but meteorological farts are more entertaining than risky.

While there is a risk of sunburn, we don't need the likes of Gerald Fleming and his ilk patronizing people about the dangers of the Sun.

Why not? If it prevents skin cancer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

efb wrote: »
    Why not? If it prevents skin cancer

It's akin to informing people to bring their umbrellas in the full knowledge it's going to rain. There are some things so obvious they don't need repeating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

It's akin to informing people to bring their umbrellas in the full knowledge it's going to rain. There are some things so obvious they don't need repeating.

People aren't as aware of the dangerous temperatures as their are of more obvious rainfall

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Thunder scares a lot of house pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Lay off Ger, hes a legend. He clearly just abbreviated thunder and lightning. And yes its worth knowing, I work on a big enough site and nearly every thunderstorm (oh sorry, thunder&lightningstorm) some electronic or electrical kit gets blasted at great expense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Sunny spells with a risk of showers

When they haven't a fcuking clue what it's going to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

"Good chance of rain and wind in the coming days"

Really?, rain and wind during Autumn-Winter in Ireland?, I could have guessed that without the aid of a glorified PowerPoint presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

Then don't listen to the weather forecast

If you find the warning of thunder ridiculous then I must assume you hanging on to a 10 feet metal pointing upwards during a THUNDERstorm would not bother you at all ?!

weisses wrote: »
    Then don't listen to the weather forecast

If you find the warning of thunder ridiculous then I must assume you hanging on to a 10 feet metal pointing upwards during a THUNDERstorm would not bother you at all ?!

One expects a weatherman to know the terms he's using. One can have thunder without the trials of a thunderstorm.

Unless you're under 6 or something, you know to use sunscreen when it gets hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I suspect that lightning would be dangerous if you're flying a kite, or doing some building/maintenance work on top of tall buildings or metal structures.

• Advertisement

One expects a weatherman to know the terms he's using. One can have thunder without the trials of a thunderstorm.

One cannot have thunder without lightning

If there is a risk of thunder then there is a risk of lightning ... Unless your under 6 or something you should know they come as a package deal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Then explain the number of lobster-coloured adults waddling round the place as soon as the weather gets a little warm.
    A lot of people need to be told.

Unless you're under 6 or something, you know to use sunscreen when it gets hot. sunny

FYP

Then explain the number of lobster-coloured adults waddling round the place as soon as the weather gets a little warm.

They want to get brown and don't mind getting burned as long as they have a "colour", even if that colour happens to be red.

It's up to you to explain the lobster-coloured adults as they're evidently ignoring Gerald Fleming - which is my whole point in the first place; people will do as they wish irrespective of what weathermen or weatherwomen happen to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,356 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Evelyn Cusack told us there'd be good drying today.
    I'm grateful for the warning as I want to stay wet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

snubbleste wrote: »
    Evelyn Cusack told us there'd be good drying today.
    I'm grateful for the warning as I want to stay wet.

Jean Byrne said she expects to be moist and sticky later on in the week..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

im going to cover my self in a layer of perspex and bury myself in a hole

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Heard on the radio about two weeks ago that there was a weather alert for Munster, Connaught, Leinster, Monaghan, Cavan and Donegal. So that'd be the entire country then.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

There was a warning of flooding
    this weekend in the west and south apparently...barely a drop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

With thunder comes lightening, which can indeed be risky. I'd only go outside in thunder and lightening if absolutely necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

There's a good chance we're going to get a lot of weather in the coming week.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭barneyrubble46

personally I find the weather summery a little general considering the technology the met office have at their disposal. As for lobster coloured people well thats got nothing to do with the person reading you the weather summery, thats down to people just being stupid. As for thunder storms very relevant, as you will know your local area and what floods to expect, also I always unplug my laptop from the power supply if there is a storm.

Tarzana wrote: »
    With thunder comes lightening, which can indeed be risky. I'd only go outside in thunder and lightening if absolutely necessary.

With black clouds comes heavy rain, but we don't hear Gerald Fleming say:

"...risk of black clouds today", when referring to heavy rainfall.

Penny dropped yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Lost a DVD player to a lightening storm.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I keep thinking about silly weather now. Like clown toys falling from the sky.

With black clouds comes heavy rain, but we don't hear Gerald Fleming say:

"...risk of black clouds today", when referring to heavy rainfall.

Penny dropped yet?

I don't think you even know what your point was. Should he have said lightening, is that it? Well, when you say thunder you know lightening comes with the package. If you need it spelled out... alright then?

Tarzana wrote: »
    I don't think you even know what your point was. Should he have said lightening, is that it? Well, when you say thunder you know lightening comes with the package. If you need it spelled out... alright then?

And when you say black clouds you know rain comes with the package.

So, why doesn't Fleming say "Risk of black clouds today".

The reason is because the thunder one is allowed a pass even though we realize how wrong it is when we look at similar phenomena.

My original point was to refer to silly weather warnings. To me, Fleming would sound equally absurd to suggest "Risk of black clouds today" as he would "Risk of thunder"...there's no risk in either. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭cml387

I suppose the parents of this child would agree about how silly it is to talk of a "risk" of thunder.

• Advertisement

And when you say black clouds you know rain comes with the package.

So, why doesn't Fleming say "Risk of black clouds today".

The reason is because the thunder one is allowed a pass even though we realize how wrong it is when we look at similar phenomena.

My original point was to refer to silly weather warnings. To me, Fleming would sound equally absurd to suggest "Risk of black clouds today" as he would "Risk of thunder"...there's no risk in either. :rolleyes:

I've totally lost interest in this. Bizarre thing to be bothered about. And the fact that this thread just about made 3 pages on a lazy Sunday... well, that says it all.

Advertisement