Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe soap shuttering

Options
  • 19-10-2014 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

This is not really relative to after hours but I din't really know where else to put it. Basically I have been offered a job shuttering. I have very limited experience working with concrete and carpentry. A friend of mine told me that anybody could do it.

Is it easy to learn?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭bitemeluis

You came to the right place my friend - shuttering is it? wtf is shuttering?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Shuttering for building tanks is it op?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

What do you mean not relative to After Hours?!?

Oh, I read it again, it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭thestar

Shuttering for building tanks is it op?

No its not tanks, its on a building site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Are you about 6'4", 20 stone and from the wilds of either Kerry,Mayo or Donegal?
    If not shuttering is not for you.

• Advertisement

thestar wrote: »
    No its not tanks, its on a building site

Shuttering on building sites is grand work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I work in construction OP...
    You won't be able to bluff being a shutterer...it's dog work and really only for a qualified tradesman...

You'll make an eejit out of yourself if you turn up as green as the grass!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Get in while you can.

If it's any way easy, before too long, it will require 20 different licences that will be insisted on by either the union that covers that trade, or the Health and Safety system that wants to stop all "easy" work, or by being "regulated" by something like the Private Security Association that charges an arm and leg and more to be a member, with massive fines of you're not.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I would imagine its an easy enough job, all you do is turn the key and the shutters come down

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Justjens

If you can read a tape, swing a hammer and work a Skil saw shuttering's a breeze

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Can you operate a vibrating poker op?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sh-sh-sh-sh-shuttering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

It's all good fun till 20 tonnes of liquid concrete runs away down the stairs.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Or down on top of you with overhead shuttering...

If they are pouring a floor the stairs for that floor would not be in situ yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

ahh it is simple work to do,no great skill involved,hell-you are not even classed as a chippie, just a step or two above a labourer.just pretend you were on the beer the night before and you will be grand

If they are pouring a floor the stairs for that floor would not be in situ yet.

Yeah. Try shuttering a column if you've never done one before. I've seen some seriously lol versions..

Yeah. Try shuttering a column if you've never done one before. I've seen some seriously lol versions..

Thats some column if it takes over 8 metres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Everyday I'm shuttering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭rolliepoley

There is all different types of shuttering OP its eazy enough just follow your mates lead and you'll pick it up in no time.

https://www.youtube.com/results?hl=en-IE&q=shuttering&gbv=2&um=1&ie=UTF-8&gl=IE&sa=N&tab=w1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

This thread is very reassuring to those of us in the market for a new-build house, which I am not, thanks be to f@€k!Incidentally, I've just been offered a job as an electrician, I might as well accept, as I'm not easily shocked.

Thats some column if it takes over 8 metres.

Ok, first day on the job, and it's a section of a lift shaft...go shutter that, new boy..:)

Ok, first day on the job, and it's a section of a lift shaft...go shutter that, new boy..:)

Lol this is getting amusing now, first you say its all fun and games when 20 tonnes of concrete comes down a stairs from pouring a column, now you change your mind and say its a lift shaft. If you were pouring a lift shaft you would be on the ground so no stairs :)

Bar stool comedy classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭bitemeluis

Joe prim wrote: »
    This thread is very reassuring to those of us in the market for a new-build house, which I am not, thanks be to f@€k!Incidentally, I've just been offered a job as an electrician, I might as well accept, as I'm not easily shocked.

:D

Lol this is getting amusing now, first you say its all fun and games when 20 tonnes of concrete comes down a stairs from pouring a column, now you change your mind and say its a lift shaft. If you were pouring a lift shaft you would be on the ground so no stairs :)

Bar stool comedy classic.

Really? What about shuttering a retaining wall? Or a complex gable, or a staircase - I've seen all these turn pear-shaped when the shuttering fails, even simple little opes shat themselves if they're not properly done, when poured. Or when the foreman throws a big pile of peri-panels at him and a drawing...good luck with that.

Really? What about shuttering a retaining wall? Or a complex gable, or a staircase - I've seen all these turn pear-shaped when the shuttering fails, even simple little opes shat themselves if they're not properly done, when poured. Or when the foreman throws a big pile of peri-panels at him and a drawing...good luck with that.

Yours posts are all over the shop.

Think a bar needs propping.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

Are you familiar at all with power tools and technical work? If you are and the shuttering is only plywood holding a couple of meters of concrete, then go give it a bash.

But if its for lift shafts and columns i wouldnt bother, it can get tricky

Are you familiar at all with power tools and technical work? If you are and the shuttering is only plywood holding a couple of meters of concrete, then go give it a bash.

But if its for lift shafts and columns i wouldnt bother, it can get tricky

Or a bridge.... or bridge supports.... "Jimmy, there's a drawing, throw in the re-bar and get that bit ready to pour, lad"

..."erm...."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

TBF most of the chippies I know consider it dogs work and Little more than semi-skilled (which is not to say that it is) However,2 friends of mine Went to London back in the better Days with a toolbelt and hammers Calling themselver shuttering Carpenters.

They would be run off site in no time but back then you could walk 100 yards to the next job and get a start, each time they built up a Little experience and would last a bit longer on the job until after x amount of sackings they got kept on and were regarded as shuttering chippies.

However,when they refer to themselves as chippies,they are quickly reminded that they are not Carpenters,bluffers,frauds,mushrooms etc but no,not tradesmen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Hitchens

you should try shuttering in a mine shaft ;)

Advertisement