Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dog has one ball

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,975 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Thespoofer wrote: »
    As the title states, I am the owner of a very rare, small dog ( of which breed I'd rather not divulge for privacy as there are only a few in the country ) and I've just found out he has only one ball dropped at twelve months old and I'm gutted for him.
    According to the internet I should not breed him as it's genetic.

I think I'll buy him a f,€king huge bone tomorrow.

don't take your eye off it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

.....what's the big deal? My dog has no balls and he's fine :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

how does he smell?

PRETTY BAD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

wexie wrote: »
    .....what's the big deal? My dog has no balls and he's fine :confused:

Can't breed him, also can cause cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

how does he smell?

Terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 fumbles

bnt wrote:
    If I was in your position, I'd get the vet to remove the one and replace it with a pair of

Please DO NOT do this. Get the vet to remove both testicles. They hang outside the body for a reason. Being inside the body at a higher temperature will most likely lead to abnormal proliferation of the cells and cause things like cancer etc... As it can be a genetic condition then advise would be not to breed from him, so it would be in the best interests of both of you to have him neutered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Is the other in the Albert Hall?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

might sound funny but cryptorchidism is a problem in some dogs, you have to have it operated on because it can cause cancer.

I think it happens to humans as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

I apologise for my earlier post. No offence intended.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

If one of his balls hasn't descended I would bring him to the vet and get him to remove the offending testicle. Balls that don't descend into the sack can turn cancerous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Lalealea

cml387 wrote: »
    Hitler
    I know you are joking :-)

But...

Genetic abnormalities can be linked to other more serious genetic faults not expressed phenotypically. Monorchidism is hereditary.If his testicle hasn't dropped then he should be neutered and definately not be bred as he can spread this genetic trait down to his progeny. Retained testicles are prone to testicular cancer. Although ours is a healthy dog.

It's also an indication op didn't get this puppy from a reputable breeder so it is hard telling what other genetic/health issues may be lurking in the background. The breeder more than likely knew there was a chance of this. Good breeders keep certs and papers for dogs generations back. And it's likely the parent or grandparent had this yet was bred.That's not good practice.

Unfortunately this happened to us like the op despite having the pedigree checked. If the breeder half knew what they were doing they knew enough background to know it was a risk. If they were clueless they should not have been breeding.

OP contact the breeder to inform them.

In order to be considered for a breeding program your dog would need to be at least 2 years old, have had and passed genetic testing (not just simple vet exams), have an impeccible pedigree, meet breed standard proven either by showing or by evaluation by unbiased breed knowledgable people.

This is to prevent bad breeding which leads to serious health issues. As pet your dog is fine though :-)

My mother hose our dog and we were reluctant to get a breed but she was very gun ho. Great dog and we love him but she should have done her research.

It's why I am taking so long now about getting a cat.

OP Your breeder should be notified for his/her own records, your pup nuetered so as not to spread the defect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

If one of his balls hasn't descended I would bring him to the vet and get him to remove the offending testicle. Balls that don't descend into the sack can turn cancerous.

If one of his balls hasn't descended.

It's not astronomy night dude, IE. 'His balls descended' - into the east-side of the Mare Crisium crater on the moon.
    offending testicle

The poor fellers testicle isn't offending him, it's just located in a slightly different location. If it's non-existent, then no problem. Offending testicle comon man.

Offending testicle must be removed ASAP because it's not in the right place... if the fellers testicle is inside his left back-leg then at least he still has it, even though it's not in the Normal specific parameters.

Lalealea wrote: »
    I know you are joking :-)

But...

Genetic abnormalities can be linked to other more serious genetic faults not expressed phenotypically. Monorchidism is hereditary.If his testicle hasn't dropped then he should be neutered and definately not be bred as he can spread this genetic trait down to his progeny. Retained testicles are prone to testicular cancer. Although ours is a healthy dog.

It's also an indication op didn't get this puppy from a reputable breeder so it is hard telling what other genetic/health issues may be lurking in the background. The breeder more than likely knew there was a chance of this. Good breeders keep certs and papers for dogs generations back. And it's likely the parent or grandparent had this yet was bred.That's not good practice.

Unfortunately this happened to us like the op despite having the pedigree checked. If the breeder half knew what they were doing they knew enough background to know it was a risk. If they were clueless they should not have been breeding.

OP contact the breeder to inform them.

In order to be considered for a breeding program your dog would need to be at least 2 years old, have had and passed genetic testing (not just simple vet exams), have an impeccible pedigree, meet breed standard proven either by showing or by evaluation by unbiased breed knowledgable people.

This is to prevent bad breeding which leads to serious health issues. As pet your dog is fine though :-)

My mother hose our dog and we were reluctant to get a breed but she was very gun ho. Great dog and we love him but she should have done her research.

It's why I am taking so long now about getting a cat.

OP Your breeder should be notified for his/her own records, your pup nuetered so as not to spread the defect.

Just out of curiosity, do you think at twelve months there is no chance of it dropping now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

This will pose no problems at all.
    As long as the other one functions normally he should be able to reproduce, although it may not happen so easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

endacl wrote: »
    Himmler had something similar?

As for Goering?

Sorry op, but you should have chosen a different thread title if you didn't want us to sing the song.
    Also thanks.
    I'm going to be singing it all fecking night now :-(

ryanf1 wrote: »
    This will pose no problems at all.
    As long as the other one functions normally he should be able to reproduce, although it may not happen so easily.

I really want to believe this bit don't want to get my hopes up.

My Wife took him for his twelve month check up this week and all is good, outside if the ball issue.

The vet advised if he is aggressive to get him neutered but she reckoned he was well behaved. She mentioned to my Wife to keep an eye in the second one in case it ' goes up '.

I'll have to call in next week when I'm off to find out what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Of course he can reproduce but nobody reputable would use a dog like him as it is an inherited issue. Contact your breeder & if he was brought as a Show/Breeding dog rather then a pet you should have some comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I have no experience of knowledge of Breeding really but apart from that he should be a perfectly healthy Dog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

He'll be fine either way I'm sure, Joking aside.

Advertisement