Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the differences between British/Irish people?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

Lots of Irish talk about 'we' when discussing foreign soccer teams. E.G Wicklow man talking about Manchester City FC: "We need to get an early goal against United". A Brit would hardly say "I hope we (Bray Wanderers) beat Dundalk tonight". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

English people tend to complain more when eating out. Less likely to accept poor service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Last rational post peeps , go out and buy a book called Watching the English by Kate Fox , the differences between Welch, Scottish Cornish Midlands , Irish are there but very subtle.

Of course Cork peeps are perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Clockwork Owl

I've found the Irish tend to give bigger gifts to each other, particularly for weddings. It looks to me like part generosity, part keeping up appearances. I was stunned when I was told that €100 per person is a standard wedding gift over here, and would be very embarrassed if someone gave me that much.

The Irish, especially Irish women, are so curious about people. They ask questions non-stop and aren't happy until they know everything from your marital status to your PPSN. It's quite charming but took some getting used to, as the English wouldn't be so comfortable asking about personal things.

Just what I've spotted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,941 ✭✭✭6541

Irish people have big hands and one joined eyebrow, English people wear wax jackets and know how to get the best out of agricultural land, now for ya !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

I believe the phrase "I will yeah" is specific to the natives of The People's Republic of Cork which is another nation entirely. :)

I believe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Shame. We have shame by the bucketload while they don't really have any at all. We got the bad deal out of that one i feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Been here a while (London) I have never noticed class as an issue, money / race yes .

Class is something for lazy mutts to bang on about

It's not an issue for the vast majority, but it does exist. I came into contact with quite a few people who were aiming for Sandhurst, another group of young conservatives with a view of society that probably wouldn't go down so well in Ireland and a mix of others. It was an interesting mix of people, some of them put effort into being seen to be the 'right kind of person'. We have it here but it's not as ingrained.
    That said, they're the obvious examples, the majority are the same mix of people you would see in most countries round this neck of the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Last rational post peeps , go out and buy a book called Watching the English by Kate Fox , the differences between Welch, Scottish Cornish Midlands , Irish are there but very subtle.

Of course Cork peeps are perfect

Cork people are the only people cute/hungry enough to print dud fivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Luxie

When you are in an English village or town, every second person doesn't ask 'so what do you think of us?' ad nauseum

Appropriate as Tubs is about to host Late Late soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Strange, Dublin I could understand maybe as the only true snobs I ever met in Ireland were there, d4 types and, forgive the phrase, 'west brits'.

Not at all strange. The snobbiest people I have ever met are middle aged farmer's wives. If you don't have land, all the money in the world won't raise you to their class in their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

I've found the Irish tend to give bigger gifts to each other, particularly for weddings. It looks to me like part generosity, part keeping up appearances.

Yes, one part generosity, 99 parts keeping up appearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Cork people are the only people cute/hungry enough to print dud fivers.

Knowing that the plebs would buy them, not our fault ye be dumb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Yarf Yarf

I don't know how you could spend any great amount of time in the UK and not notice the class divide. It is much more obvious here than in Ireland, in my experience. Plenty of people with an incurable sense of entitlement and elitist attitudes. I'm sure people will still say 'ah well Ireland is worse', but it's not really. There is more begrudgery in Ireland, but far less Irish people have the kind of self important, 'I have a divine right to have or do this and that' attitudes some people here have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

smash wrote: »
    That has nothing to do with the fact that most British people are ignorant to the history between their own country and Ireland. I've met English people who think Ireland is part of the UK ffs.

like Jamie Carragher

Tarzana wrote: »
    As a general thing, Brits are more reserved, at least on initial meeting, and less eager to please.

I like the reserve thing, sometimes the much-mooted Irish friendliness can have a two-faced element to it.

This. I've always known where I stood with British bosses. Irish bosses all nice until appraisal/review time of year where they would Bury you quick as look at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

The English are generally tighter than a crabs arse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Yarf Yarf wrote: »
    I don't know how you could spend any great amount of time in the UK and not notice the class divide. It is much more obvious here than in Ireland, in my experience. Plenty of people with an incurable sense of entitlement and elitist attitudes. I'm sure people will still say 'ah well Ireland is worse', but it's not really. There is more begrudgery in Ireland, but far less Irish people have the kind of self important, 'I have a divine right to have or do this and that' attitudes some people here have.

Agreed, anyone who thinks the British class system is thing of the past should take a look at private school backgrounds of most members of current UK cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Something we have in common: Was talking to someone from the New York who had moved to London for her job and she reckoned the strangest adjustment to make was how people slag each other off so much. Your colleagues would be polite and friendly but anyone who attained friend status would give you a friendly measure of abuse. She had Irish people as being the same.
    Of course I've met Americans who act the same, so it could just be a background thing.

Other things we don't have in pubs here generally, poker machines (thankfully) and open mic nights....when there's actually people in the pub.

I'm old enough to remember those same machines in pubs in Ireland.

• Advertisement

Beefy78 wrote: »
    That's true. Funerals at home are a family affair or family + very close friends. Very different from Ireland from what I can see.

Weddings don't go through the night like they seem to in Ireland too.

Very true. For weddings in Ireland you have the live band til midnight. Then a DJ until three. In England at least you get the DJ til midnight and that's your lot. I'm at the age where I can only cope with English version :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

The Irish, especially Irish women, are so curious about people. They ask questions non-stop and aren't happy until they know everything from your marital status to your PPSN. It's quite charming but took some getting used to, as the English wouldn't be so comfortable asking about personal things.

Just what I've spotted!

I find we're like that compared to many nationalities. I always feel as nosy as fook and I'm just curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

That has nothing to do with the fact that most British people are ignorant to the history between their own country and Ireland. I've met English people who think Ireland is part of the UK ffs.

Nobody outside ROI knows that.
    Tarzana wrote: »
    As a general thing, Brits are more reserved, at least on initial meeting, and less eager to please.

That was my observation during my 3 years there. I was in my mid-twenties and the fact that the person in front of me didn't care if I liked them or not was a shock for me and I respected them for it. I was the total opposite.

The pride among many people over there of their class was a new one on me personally. Much more likely to complain about something they were not happy with and more inclined to kick up a fuss than us as well. More confident as well, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Yarf Yarf wrote: »

Who are these people you're hanging out with in the UK who have this attitude?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

The English are generally tighter than a crabs arse

Maybe in places like the Home Counties around London but go to the North East or Liverpool / Manchester or even the West Midlands and they couldn't be more different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

It might seem like a generalisation but they're horrible to work with. I've worked with companies that have uk mainland offices and have always found them condescending and they treat the Irish as if they're thick.
    Maybe that says more about you.

What a ridiculous thing to say.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,716 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Is the answer not always "inflatable tricolour hammer"?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

porsche959 wrote: »
    Not quite sure what you mean. Leinster rugby fans strike me as the type of Irish rugby fan most akin to the stereotype of the English 'hooray henry' rugby supporter, as found in Bath, Gloucestershire, etc.

Spot on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Yarf Yarf

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Who are these people you're hanging out with in the UK who have this attitude?

I didn't say I hang out with them. I said they exist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Lyger

What I've found is: British people are more polite and reserved overall, more deadpan and droll about things... whereas we Irish are generally louder and more dramatic.
    Obviously there are examples of the reverse found in each nationality of course, but just, in general...

Advertisement