Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the differences between British/Irish people?

Options
  • 17-10-2014 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Obviously, in the olden days the main difference was religion but not many people really care about that any more

So, how about now? There's the Irish language, yet the majority can't speak it fluently. GAA... but that's just a hobby/pastime, maybe the Brits will even start to like it now it's on Sky Sports.

Riverdance? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

The Irish are more intelligent. That's the most noticeable factor :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Nationality for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Irish people are Irish.
    British people are British.

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Godot.

Nationality for one.

Yes, but the differences in our nationalities culturally. What we stand for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

The Irish are decent people for the most part while the Brits are mostly horrible people. The horrible Irish people are west Brits and the nice British people are our fellow Gaels.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭preston johnny

FFS not this ****e again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭Hoop66

In my experience, as a Brit over here, there's more mixing between social classes. And I have found that the Irish "middle-classs" are a lot more fun than the UK version.

My "middle-class" friends in the UK wouldn't really hang around with people not from their social group, whereas here my social group is much more mixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

The English seem to have developed herd immunity to Fartbollix Syndrome. I have encountered many Irish people who spent five years in Croydon or some similar Hell-hole and arrived back wiv a Cockney accent annat innit, saying things like "Oooh, I dan't fink much of vis, vey dan't do it properly 'ere DO thaaayy??" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Hoop66 wrote: »
    In my experience, as a Brit over here, there's more mixing between social classes. And I have found that the Irish "middle-classs" are a lot more fun than the UK version.

My "middle-class" friends in the UK wouldn't really hang around with people not from their social group, whereas here my social group is much more mixed.

Wow that seems really snobbish by your mates

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Laois6556 wrote: »
    The Irish are decent people for the most part while the Brits are mostly horrible people. The horrible Irish people are west Brits and the nice British people are our fellow Gaels.

Except the Welsh. Sod the Welsh. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Yarf Yarf

There are a lot of differences. People seem to think that British people are just white people who speak English, drink tea and have a dry sense of humour. British identity has come to mean something much broader and encompasses all kinds of cultures and ethnicities now. There are people born and raised in the UK who don't look like me or you and don't have the same values or beliefs, but they would still consider themselves British, as is their right. Do you think that the kid of Jamaican parents living in south east London has much, if anything, in common with your average Irish person? Don't get me wrong, I live in London and I love it and like the people, but I'm not going to pretend like we're all the same.

That's not even getting into the class divide here that draws a pretty stiff line between most Irish people and a whole section of British society.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Godot. wrote: »
    Obviously, in the olden days the main difference was religion but not many people really care about that any more

So, how about now? There's the Irish language, yet the majority can't speak it fluently. GAA... but that's just a hobby/pastime, maybe the Brits will even start to like it now it's on Sky Sports.

Riverdance? :pac:

Nothing really, we just have notably different accents/idioms.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'd also say class snobbery is a fairly big difference, in Ireland people think a wage or wealth makes your a certain class while in England it is as much a mindset as anything (for some)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The British are not fvcking obsessed with the differences between them and the Irish is the biggest difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Henry Sidney

The Irish are obsessed with the English, the English don't give the Irish a second thought.

And the GAA is far more than just a hobby, you'd get some strange looks if you said that where I grew up;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

Laois6556 wrote: »

I find all Irish people tend to generalise always.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

When you are in an English village or town, every second person doesn't ask 'so what do you think of us?' ad nauseum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Yarf Yarf

I'd also say class snobbery is a fairly big difference, in Ireland people think a wage or wealth makes your a certain class while in England it is as much a mindset as anything (for some)

It's definitely a mindset. I think it's because they have such a long history of aristocracy that is still alive and well today that it has just become ingrained in the culture. Some people are just "born" into class and others aren't, and there isn't as much respect for the person who goes from rags to riches (that's probably more of an American thing).

Whats the difference?

Intelligence.

As to who is more intelligent, Ill leave that to you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

Irish are really laid back and dont really care about anything.
    We hate successful people. Its almost embarrassing in Ireland for someone to be successful. The British are more encouraging and its normal to want to become the best at something. If you see an Irish person trying hard to become something you say ''Do ya see that gobsh!te over there trying to become a musician?" and then a typical reply would be "Yeah what a b0ll0cks!"

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Passports look different. Also, the british have gills.

The worst snobbery I ever experienced was from Irish middle aged women.

40+ years in England, and I saw much more snobbery in 6 years in Ireland. Same goes for racism.

The worst snobbery I ever experienced was from Irish middle aged women.

40+ years in England, and I saw much more snobbery in 6 years in Ireland. Same goes for racism.

Really? Where in Ireland were you?

Really? Where in Ireland were you?

Galway, Clare and Dublin mainly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

MarkR wrote: »
    Passports look different. Also, the british have gills.

Not that different, I have both and always have to double check I don't lift the wrong one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

deadybai wrote: »
    Irish are really laid back and dont really care about anything.
    We hate successful people. Its almost embarrassing in Ireland for someone to be successful. The British are more encouraging and its normal to want to become the best at something. If you see an Irish person trying hard to become something you say ''Do ya see that gobsh!te over there trying to become a musician?" and then a typical reply would be "Yeah what a b0ll0cks!"

In England we'd say the same about ourselves and Americans (with British people cast in the role you just gave Irish people).

I guess the point is that these generalisations are mostly complete nonsense.

The few differences I'd say I noted when I moved would be that Irish people celebrate Halloween more. And that girls tend to wear flats more than heels whereas as home it was rare to see a girl in flats regardless of the circumstances. But then that was Dublin vs Essex more than Ireland vs Britain.

Galway, Clare and Dublin mainly.
    Strange, Dublin I could understand maybe as the only true snobs I ever met in Ireland were there, d4 types and, forgive the phrase, 'west brits'.

Strange, Dublin I could understand maybe as the only true snobs I ever met in Ireland were there, d4 types and, forgive the phrase, 'west brits'.

Trust me, there's nothing worse than a middle aged woman from Clarinbridge or Kinvara. Made some money in the boom and think they are something special. Two Bob millionaires in BMWs.

• Advertisement

Trust me, there's nothing worse than a middle aged woman from Clarinbridge or Kinvara. Made some money in the boom and think they are something special. Two Bob millionaires in BMWs.

Ah right, I thought that had been quarantined to south Dublin with a few enclaves on the northside

Advertisement