Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did you realise you were a non believer

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I felt let down because my parents never really believed the whole Catholic hoo ha. They used contraception, they don't oppose ivf, they've said there's nothing wrong with being gay and my mum especially never liked the male domination of the church. So they didn't really follow any of the teachings but did the roll call of sacraments because they said it made life easier and because it didn't occur to them not to do them. I wish I'd never felt the need to make up sins as a seven year old or been brainwashed into feeling guilty about perfectly natural things. Thankfully my children won't be put through any of the nonsense I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

lazygal wrote: »
    Thankfully my children won't be put through any of the nonsense I was.

Religion is being bred out of us as a species through evolutionary processes, actually knowing exactly how the world operates is more advantages then thinking a supernatural bloke in the clouds waves a wand as the Pope recently phrased it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

jaffusmax wrote: »
    Religion is being bred out of us as a species through evolutionary processes, actually knowing exactly how the world operates is more advantages then thinking a supernatural bloke in the clouds waves a wand as the Pope recently phrased it!

Actually, the pope said the reverse. He said God isn't a supernatural bloke with a magic wand...despite all the magical **** that supposedly occurred according to the bibbel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭Taajsgpm

jaffusmax wrote: »
    I was 7 or 8 and was with a group of lads whom I joined in with throwing rocks at a presbyterian church. I proudly ran home to tell mother about my great achievement. She said that she was protestant, I remember a sudden sense of WTF this stuff is complicated and ever since saw religion as something to be avoided, as for a God I was always fascinated that it was dog spelt backwards as a kid!

I was probably around 10 when I gave up on religion. I was probably 40 when I started to get spiritual . I always new that Good was the right thing and Bad was wrong but had a hard time with the GOD thing. I feel Love is the only way, we feel that naturally and we know to hurt another is wrong, where God comes into that or what God could be, who the Hell knows

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭CantonasCollar

Being from Northern Ireland I could never understand as a kid how both sides worshipped God, and he allowed each side to kill the other. It wasn't until I was in my early teens that I finally gave it any thought, and when I did it just made no sense whatsoever.

It amazes me that people in this day and age can't see that God is no more credible than Santa, the tooth fairy, or the Easter bunny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Pocoyo wrote: »
    But do you feel hurt and let down?

Let down by everyone I respected as a child, yes. Knowing even as a young child that you are being told bollocks but at the same time knowing that not nice things will happen to you if you question it, is not a good position to be in. There was still corporal punishment in schools until the early 80s and you could easily get a belt for questioning religion or getting a line in a prayer wrong.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

There was still corporal punishment in schools until the early 80s and you could easily get a belt for questioning religion or getting a line in a prayer wrong.
    I remember that - three of us in sixth class sent up to the headmaster at one point for forgetting the last few lines of the prayer "Hail Holy Queen, Mother of Mercy..."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭ShowMeTheCash

Right around the same time I stopped believing in Santa, the tooth fairy, the easter bunny and Michael Jackson.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,232 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'm a non believer? F*ck...

Just now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

It amazes me that people in this day and age can't see that God is no more credible than Santa, the tooth fairy, or the Easter bunny.

Missing the point of faith there to be fair

• Advertisement
Advertisement