Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus Player-Want one?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Where did you manage to pick one up?

Ebay, for a bit of a premium :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭corkie

Google Nexus Player available for pre-order from amazon.co.uk

Amazon.co.uk link - £79.99

For the people that have one already there is a factory Android 5.1 image available (released during the week).

Edit: I have a chromecast, so not in the market for a TV console.

There are other options which should be available soon: -

Shield Console

Razer Forge TV

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭steve_r

I'm looking forward to this. I've gotten great mileage from the Chromecast, so much so that I was thinking of buying another for other tvs.

I might just get one of these, and use the chromecast as a portable solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

has anyone tried this with a usb to ethernet link? sorry not having a native Ethernet port is a big no no for me as all the existing xbmc/kodi installations i have experienced terrible issues with wifi (and no its not the wifi before you ask) and i also wired the house.

just want some word of mouth experiences with it from here.

also any mount points to strap it to the back of a tv? (other than the old reliable duct tape!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

has anyone tried this with a usb to ethernet link? sorry not having a native Ethernet port is a big no no for me as all the existing xbmc/kodi installations i have experienced terrible issues with wifi (and no its not the wifi before you ask) and i also wired the house.

just want some word of mouth experiences with it from here.

also any mount points to strap it to the back of a tv? (other than the old reliable duct tape!)

They work. have read about people on the net doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

jester77 wrote: »
    Because ethernet is rock solid. I've CAT 7 all around my house, never have to worry about fumbling with wifi and trying to get signal to certain corners of the house. Wifi is fine for mobile devices and causal surfing, but I will never rely on it for gaming or streaming HD content.

Yeah the above.

Wifi is fine for casual uses, but when you want to stream 1080p, to be honest even 720p in proper quality it will struggle.

I moved away from all these boxes and small devices, and just bought a HTPC, custom built, and it was a brilliant investment. Was circa €300 and I'm sorted, where I was spending more then that on every little neat device to come out where I would "hope" it would do what I wanted.

Providing a "media centre" device, without ethernet, is just negligent imo. The chase to tablets, small devices and the likes has skewered what was always the rule of thumb. Wifi is a pretty horrendous technology, and you should always opt for cable.

I settled for homeplugs in the new house, not arsed running ethernet from downstairs upstairs, but over the summer I will be. While pings are fine, I'm loosing 150mbps from the plugs.

Will keep a close on eye on what happens with this as I'm always into the latest gadgets and gizmos, if it can be rooted and messed about might provide a wealth of options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

TheDoc wrote: »
    Yeah the above.

Wifi is fine for casual uses, but when you want to stream 1080p, to be honest even 720p in proper quality it will struggle.

I don't necessarily agree, Youtube and Netflix stream in 1080p faultlessly over my Wifi directly from the router and homeplugs in 1080p on laptops, consoles and chromecast. 4K streaming for Netflix requires only 15Mb/s, 7 for Super HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

I would love one of these, I used to have a Logitech Revue Google TV box and it was great.

Using my Samsung Smart TV with Plex for everything now.

I have to say that I have homeplugs set up and there is a noticeable difference between Cable and WIFI. For this box not to have ethernet is a real shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

It's not just speed, wireless is half duplex, the radio in your router only talks to one device at a time, in one direction at a time. It must stop sending to receive. It's a no-brainer to use cables as they do at least gigabit full duplex ie send and receive at the same time.

I'm not saying it's as good as wired, but it's more than sufficient for 1080p streaming, even with multiple devices connected, broadband speed depending obviously.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I'm not saying it's as good as wired, but it's more than sufficient for 1080p streaming, even with multiple devices connected, broadband speed depending obviously.

Just about. Add some other device with a weak signal streaming a 1080p Youtube vid at the same time and it'll grind to a halt. To cope with our bandwidth needs of the future everything static will need to be cabled, wireless should be for mobility. It's a crazy decision by Google to go wireless only.

Looks like amazon jumped the gun!

The amazon link I posted has been removed from the site!

Did anyone pre-order it?

There is another listing for it but at a higher cost!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Nexus Player now available again from amazon.co.uk

Suppose to be available from the google store in the UK as well! According to this!

People should read reviews and decide if they want it!

There are other options which should be available soon: -

Shield Console

Razer Forge TV

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

From what I'm reading the Nvidia shield tv (player) kicks the butt of the Google one so I wont be running out to buy this one.
    http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/04/nvidias-shield-is-the-only-android-tv-set-top-box-youll-need/ ;)

Was looking forward to having one but the reviews are just not very good for it right now. :(

The Shield will most likely be more than double the price of the Nexus Player, and not everyone wants gaming functionality.

You can buy it with or without the controller for those who do or don't want to game.

Sure even the base model will be probably 40-50 Euro (according to Nvidia's own press event) over the nexus but when you compare what your getting for the money its not even a fair fight.

nexus-player-specs

nvidia-shield-android-tv-specs

But yea some will buy the nexus no matter what and that's fine too.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭redmond08

Ordered one of these from Amazon, really looking forward to getting it. Going to use it mostly for Netflix US, Hulu Plus and Kodi. Will post what I think of it when it arrives.

Razer Forge TV Launches without Netflix support!

[Lame] Razer's Forge Android TV Launches Without Netflix Support, According To Early Buyers

Also some question over it's chromecast ability?

Posting in this thread because no threads for the Forge!

Nvidia Shield Android TV now available for purchase!

From nvidia

or from amazon.com
    Buy an NVIDIA SHIELD between May 28 and August 19, 2015 and get a $30 Google Play credit + 3 months of unlimited Google Play music.

Not available through amazon.co.uk yet.

Looks like it has support for 4K Ultra HD content from your favorite apps like Netflix*

Pro version (500gb) will be released on June 12, 2015 which also includes the above promotion + Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel

Can you order the US one for europe? Bet they won't be giving us 30 euro for play over here.... Be cool if they did!

Have the controller now already so just have to justify the extra 100 smackers for the pro version.

• Advertisement

It's been a while since I looked at this, are there any decent alternatives with Ethernet? It's the only thing holding me from buying one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Although I like the idea I can't fathom a purchase as of yet so I'll stick with the loyal Chromecast for now!

Been using this now for a month and it's brilliant. I've been using it for Netflix, Hulu Plus and Kodi, all work's great. Don't bother with them android boxes from China, they are only dirt. Still not a lot of apps, but more are being added and will be huge soon enough with the likes of Sony using Android TV on their TVs. If you just want it for streaming TV, movie's etc, then this is for you. I haven't tried it for gaming, but I will never use it for that because I have a PS4. Don't worry about not having Ethernet, the WIFI on it is good and I have never had a drop out or any problem with it. Highly recommend buying it.

It's not the quality of the wireless, I just don't want a static media player using my wireless at all when I have gigabit Ethernet beside the TV. I want to keep wireless for mobility for all the devices we have that need it. A wireless radio only talks to one device at a time, in one direction at a time so while it's busy talking to a media player it's not talking to our devices and affecting speeds on all wireless devices.

redmond08 wrote: »
    Been using this now for a month and it's brilliant. I've been using it for Netflix, Hulu Plus and Kodi, all work's great. Don't bother with them android boxes from China, they are only dirt. Still not a lot of apps, but more are being added and will be huge soon enough with the likes of Sony using Android TV on their TVs. If you just want it for streaming TV, movie's etc, then this is for you. I haven't tried it for gaming, but I will never use it for that because I have a PS4. Don't worry about not having Ethernet, the WIFI on it is good and I have never had a drop out or any problem with it. Highly recommend buying it.

Can you change the DNS within the device itself, unlike having to do it at router level with the Chromecast ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

ThisRegard wrote:
    Can you change the DNS within the device itself, unlike having to do it at router level with the Chromecast ?

Yes you can, that's how I do it. It's very easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

corkie wrote: »
    Nvidia Shield Android TV now available for purchase!

From nvidia

or from amazon.com

Not available through amazon.co.uk yet.

Looks like it has support for 4K Ultra HD content from your favorite apps like Netflix*

Pro version (500gb) will be released on June 12, 2015 which also includes the above promotion + Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel

Picked one of these up last week in the states. It is an absolute BEAST of a thing. Really amazed at how well Grid works. Will definitely be paying the subscription once they introduce it!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

dregin wrote: »
    Picked one of these up last week in the states. It is an absolute BEAST of a thing. Really amazed at how well Grid works. Will definitely be paying the subscription once they introduce it!

The European GRID server is actually in Dublin I believe so pings should be fantastic on it.

Advertisement