Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Text from the grave

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,292 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Facebook will be full of this stuff in years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Ah I can imagine the texts they sent :

Stay strong Hun

Chin up xx

Etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I thought the line would be dead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Only reason I would request to be buried with a phone is in case I'd wake up in the coffin scenario.

It would be some bummer if there wasn't a signal!

I saw coffins in a museum before and they had bells attached to them because it was easy to mispronounce someone dead hundreds of years ago .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Can you imagine the shocked to ****e feeling when they got the text. I would have had a heart attack. Nobody should have to go through that.

When my father died back in 2006, my mother eventually decided to get a mobile phone but she didn't do anything for ages and I forgot all about it after badgering her for a while.
    A fee months later I was at a match with a few jars on me when I got a text message from "dad".
    I opened it and it went something along the lines of "hi, haven't been in touch with you for a while, hope you're ok. Any news?"
    I almost shat myself. Thankfully it ended with "love Mum, finally got your dad's SIM working"
    I didn't know whether to laugh or cry!

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    I saw coffins in a museum before and they had bells attached to them because it was easy to mispronounce someone dead hundreds of years ago .

That is where the expressions 'saved by the bell' and 'dead ringer' came from.

Cool ! I never thought about it .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Its late at night I've had a long day and may be misinterpreting it but I'm a small bit confused. The number gets recycled, fair enough I understand that, even though its a new one on me. However, what I am having a little trouble getting is that a family member would get a message of that nature from what presumably would be somebody most likely unknown to them. Is it just the chance in well over a million that the person with the re-issued number accidently sent that very message (gets even more unlikely) to one of her family members who still had her number in their phone or remembered it.

Ive an old nokia meself, havent topped it up in over 5 years at least at this stage I reckon but it still hasn't being disconnected. Is this just a UK thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,545 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Very colourful explanation for dead ringer and saved by the bell. But probably not true.

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/dead%20ringer.html

• Advertisement

very interesting that article DX, where ring is metaphorical for circular, and the act of moving something about 180 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Actually a common misconception. Saved by the bell comes from Boxing and dead ringer originated in the criminal world, a ringer is a horse that's substituted into a race for a horse of similar appearance, it's a scam designed to defraud bookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Okay now I'm getting deja vu .. Didn't this exact same thing happen a few years(?) back. I even remember reading a thread about it with a very similar response.

Perhaps it was in this thread Has anything genuinely creepy or unnerving happened to you

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

This situation reminds me of a friend of mine who died when he was 16 in a motorbike crash. I remember the wake at the house and it was very hard to walk through that room with him in the coffin and the family all around. Can't imagine what it was like for the family...

I didn't notice at the time, but his phone was buried with him that day.

I didn't think about this for weeks, but one night, probably a bit stupidly, I decided to ring the number, as I still had it.

Obviously it went straight to the voicemail, but I heard the voicemail message, which was a song by Nirvana he liked... I'm pretty sure it was him singing to it. I'm not sure if it was the song or something, but it was a very scary thing to hear. You couldn't help but think and feel that the phone was down there with him and you were in someway closer to him, like you were communicating directly in some way... I know that is not the case.

To be honest I was a little bit freaked out by the whole thing. I rang it again, months later when I came across the number but it was disconnected.

It seems like it's a strange thing to do, i.e. to bury someone with their phone like that. To text the phone, and ring it like I did in this case. From my own experience though it seems like it can be a helpful thing in the early stages of grieving. Maybe not a bad thing even. Having said that, it's a good thing the numbers are eventually disconnected as I can see how having that voicemail to ring, or that number to text can prolong that whole grieving process and lead you down a bit of a dark road...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Ivan and Chris on Newstalk just there having a laughing fit for over a full minute after Ivan read out the story as 'put the phone in her' rather than 'in with her'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

Ivan and Chris on Newstalk just there having a laughing fit for over a full minute after Ivan read out the story as 'put the phone in her' rather than 'in with her'.

Hope it was on vibrate!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

My sister kept our Dad's number on her phone, he died almost 4 yrs ago. She got a notification saying "Hi, Dad is on Whatsapp" , awhile ago. If only!!
    I seem to remember a few years back, a distraught woman being on air with Gerry Ryan. Her sister , I think, had died. She wanted the phone company not to give her number to anyone else , so she could still ring it, to hear her voice on voicemail. Think Gerry sorted it for the woman. Oh well, each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,478 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

EoghanIRL wrote: »

Yes..
    they also had dead hospitals where the dead spent a while just in case they came back to life...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Dreannz

A friend of mine passed away. I hadn't the heart to delete his number from my phone yet.
    Maybe a year later my phone buzzes saying 'john has joined viber' or whatever the message is when your contacts join viber.
    Freaked me out when I saw it first my heart skipped a beat but then I thought the phone company must have recycled number.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

funny, but bit inappropriate for radio presenters to be laughing over someone's death

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

fryup wrote: »
    funny, but bit inappropriate for radio presenters to be laughing over someone's death

Ah come on they're not laughing at that, they're laughing at Ivan's fúck up.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

I know of people who still send messages to a deceased person's facebook page.

For some reason these things just don't sit easy with me. I don't know what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

IrishAlice wrote: »
    I know of people who still send messages to a deceased person's facebook page.

For some reason these things just don't sit easy with me. I don't know what it is.

I don't think much of it either. I find it weird and disrespectful to address a deceased person as if they were still alive, via SMS or social media or whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭whats newxt

You can spoof your phone number easily these days anyway. http://www.spoofcard.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Have you ever witnessed people sneaking things into coffins at wakes, things like letters, packets of cigarettes, bottles of porter, playing cards, silver coin for Charon etc? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Dreannz

Have you ever witnessed people sneaking things into coffins at wakes, things like letters, packets of cigarettes, bottles of porter, playing cards, silver coin for Charon etc? :p

I've seen someone put a quarter ounce of hash into the coffin with the deceased :|

Advertisement