Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Text from the grave

Options
  • 16-10-2014 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭

Maybe it's just me, but I was disturbed by the the idea of a family burying a mobile phone with their dearly departed and then sending her texts to the grave for years after. They got a bit of a shock when she sent a text back. Only of course it was a mistake. Would anyone here think it is a good idea either for when their own time comes, or for a dead relative?

http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2014-10-16/south-shields-family-shocked-by-texts-from-grandmothers-grave/

The family, who buried the 59-year old with some of her favourite possessions, including her phone, had been sending messages to her for comfort.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Intersting what shoite makes the papers. Would you be happy with a dead persons phone number? I think Inwould change it, if not to just avoid texts from the relatives of the dead person, god rest them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

How does a phone in a coffin stay charged?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

iDave wrote: »
    How does a phone in a coffin stay charged?

Nokia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Can you imagine the shocked to ****e feeling when they got the text. I would have had a heart attack. Nobody should have to go through that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

Its worse when someone dies and you get a call asking to speak to them...... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

Its worse when someone dies and you get a call asking to speak to them...... :(

That's always difficult, after my former boss passed away we still got many calls for him in the weeks that followed. We just replied "I'm sorry but he's not available"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

keith16 wrote: »
    Nokia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Nodster wrote: »
    That's always difficult, after my former boss passed away we still got many calls for him in the weeks that followed. We just replied "I'm sorry but he's not available"

You should have said he was upstairs and was resting.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Whatever brings you comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

It's common knowledge after a certain period of inactivity, numbers become invalid and are disconnected from the networks for use by other customers.

Tbh, I'm not surprised they got a text reply after all that time. The number was bound to have been placed into a 'pool' for allocation on to new customers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone II

The Nokia 3310.will still be there 100's of years after she's wormfood

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's not a bad idea in fairness.Kinda cute.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

ColeTrain wrote: »
    You should have said he was upstairs and was resting.

No, actually what you should have said was " he's dead "

• Registered Users Posts: 36,219 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's common knowledge after a certain period of inactivity, numbers become invalid and are disconnected from the networks for use by other customers.

Tbh, I'm not surprised they got a text reply after all that time. The number was bound to have been placed into a 'pool' for allocation on to new customers.

Have to say, I didn't know this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

So what happened when those people rang again looking for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

He's still not available. In fact, he says he hates your guts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

I hope the woman in the grave was on billpay. Prepay usually runs out after a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

They got a bit of a shock when she sent a text back. Only of course it was a mistake.

I know it sounds terrible but did anybody else snigger at this before chastising themselves mentally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I read this article earlier and it seems like they're just looking for compensation. "We're a big texting family. When we fall out or whatever, we send a message".

Needs a tall glass of "stfu".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I read about it in the Daily Mail

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I read it on the Beeb it was so stupid and contrived. You never own the number the company does. And numbers are recycled.
    I smell a compo claim

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Wot u doin 4 Halloween wkend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

Maybe it's just me, but I was disturbed by the the idea of a family burying a mobile phone with their dearly departed and then sending her texts to the grave for years after. They got a bit of a shock when she sent a text back. Only of course it was a mistake. Would anyone here think it is a good idea either for when their own time comes, or for a dead relative?

http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2014-10-16/south-shields-family-shocked-by-texts-from-grandmothers-grave/

The family, who buried the 59-year old with some of her favourite possessions, including her phone, had been sending messages to her for comfort.

Okay now I'm getting deja vu .. Didn't this exact same thing happen a few years(?) back. I even remember reading a thread about it with a very similar response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

This happened a few years ago too. The father was on joe Duffy or something giving out that the mobile network had given all his daughters contacts to some randomer. Obviously numbers are recycled and the new owner kept receiving weird messages so was telling people to feck off. Nothing to do with giving away numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

smash wrote: »
    This happened a few years ago too. The father was on joe Duffy or something giving out that the mobile network had given all his daughters contacts to some randomer. Obviously numbers are recycled and the new owner kept receiving weird messages so was telling people to feck off. Nothing to do with giving away numbers.

Yeah I knew that I had heard the same story before.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

calling.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

Tell them he's even less available than he was last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

kneemos wrote: »
    It's not a bad idea in fairness.Kinda cute.

Cute like stuffing your deceased infant and keeping around the house as a reminder of better times.

It's ****ing ghastly is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Numbers get reused...

I know after my dad's death 7 years ago his phone was kept at home.. But the number has now bee reassigned to someone else, how do I know ?? Turns out my sister used to ring it when she was feeling down, then one day someone answered !! Bit of a shock..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Lyger

Yep, numbers get recycled. I remember a similar story here and it was on some phone-in show (like someone mentioned earlier). It was presented in such a way that it was a "supernatural" occurrence. Class - ya can't buy it.

Advertisement