Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 18 too old to be first considered an adult these days?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

The wife is constantly telling me to grow up...and I'm 51

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Should 16 year olds pay adult fare on the bus/dart though

technically yes.

the child ticket is to 15 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The opposite I'd have to say to be honest. I'm 27 and I reckon I've only really matured over the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭dissed doc

18 is the age at which officialdom notes that the yoof turn adult (allegedly in a lot of cases).

Is it too old? Should it be 16?

A lot of parents would surely be happy enough if they could kick their sprogs out of the nest at 16 rather than 18 in to the big bad world to fend for themselves?

Apparently teenagers have matured greatly in the last decade or so they say. So why not?

On the contrary, I think the level of self-centred stupidity prevalent today means people should not be regarded as adults until at least age 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭my teapot is orange

Studies have shown that our brains develop a much better ability to fully think through the consequences of our actions around 25. Before that we're much more impulsive. That was definitely true in my case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I say compartmentalise (if indeed that is a word..?) it.

Wanna join the army, take this test. Wanna be free to ride take this test. Wanna vote take this test. Wanna booze it up, take this test. If you fail one of them constantly til you're 35, none of that (legally) for you. If you pass one at 13, knock yourself out sunshine.

Someone else can devise appropriate tests for each thing 'cause effort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Thing is, most 18 year olds (over a matter of months) go from having to ask permission to use the toilet in school, to being mature "adults" in university or work... how is that even in the slightest bit logical.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It depends on a number of factors really, in some ways 16 is considered to be mature enough for some things, and in other ways then, 16 year olds are generally too immature for other things.

In America for instance, they allow 16 year olds to drive. There aren't too many 16 year olds in this country I would feel too safe in the passenger seat with. Also in most states, I think the legal drinking age is 21.

As far as voting goes, while it might be an interesting social experiment to lower the voting age to 16, I think a far better idea would be to encourage young people to take an interest in politics, economics and social issues so that when they're 18 they would actually understand what they're voting for, and make their voices heard, as opposed to just voting 'because I can'.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Clankatron

It'll be a while yet before I consider myself an adult and I'm in my early 30's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I wouldnt consider anybody under the age of 20 to be an adult. Both 18 and 19 end in the word teen, therefore they are still teenagers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

education is great and it sets you up for life, but it can hinder some aspects of maturity. People now are staying in education until 22/23 etc. Now they may be academically smart, they lack street smartness that our parents generation had. now they gain it eventually but later on. looking back i can say i really matured at about 22/23 and up until then i was still in that rebellious teenager mode....

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭jumbo

I look at people in their twenties and I just think to myself "kids". I really think you don't get recognised as a fully fledged adult, socially perhaps, until you reach your thirties.

It's a tricky one, since you're more or less completely physically developed by the time you're twenty and you can vote, drink, have a job, and all the rest of it, but I think a "second childhood" ensues where you enjoy all of these things, perhaps sometimes irresponsibly, and you really only run out of steam and start to get a grip as you reach thirty and the horrible reality dawns on you that you're getting older and you've got to start getting some things done.

Maybe its an Irish thing, maybe we're far too mollycoddled by our parents. But then again it does seem to be a pattern I've seen elsewhere in the world.

Gawd being young was so much fun. Being the wrong side of thirty is great too though (total responsibility, nobody to tell you what to do, more sleep, more money). I'd do it all again, and I wouldn't rush it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

I quite like the current way things are seen. At 18 until 21 you are classified as a young adult and from 21 onwards the young drops and your just an adult. The amount of growing up you do once you leave Secondary is mad. I've learnt so much in the last 5 years about myself and grown up a lot so I think it'd be mad to lower it!

I am, however, all for 16 year olds being allowed to vote and to keep the age of consent at 17. Also, if parents actually allowed their kids a drink or two at the age of 16 you'd get less idiots out on the town during the week and at weekends. My ma had this thing that once you turned 16 you could have wine at dinner on special occasions and either a glass of wine or a bottle of beer on a Saturday night (if you want). Made me actually understand that alcohol is something that can be used to enhance an occasion and not be the occasion. I've never been that drunk that I've passed out or even had to be minded by my mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I actually expected more support but instead seems to be a good bit of ageism.

I think it's a bit unfair to say most 16 and 17 year olds are little scrotes. More than a decent percentage of those in much older brackets.

People disagreeing doesn't make it ageism. Might be an idea to stop creating threads then complaining when nobody agrees with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Lyger

I don't think they're being serious anyway. People are still at school when they're 16 so their suggestion makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Should be 21.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

People don't grow up when they reach a magic number, they grow up when they have to be fully responsible for themselves.

The only way teenagers will mature earlier is if they are given some responsibility. How this would work I just don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭cizolin

Depends on each person and their previous responsibilties growing up.

I know I was a very immature 18 year old. Still not grown up at 32 tbh. It's difficult to measure.

Advertisement