Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 18 too old to be first considered an adult these days?

Options
  • 16-10-2014 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,562 ✭✭✭✭

18 is the age at which officialdom notes that the yoof turn adult (allegedly in a lot of cases).

Is it too old? Should it be 16?

A lot of parents would surely be happy enough if they could kick their sprogs out of the nest at 16 rather than 18 in to the big bad world to fend for themselves?

Apparently teenagers have matured greatly in the last decade or so they say. So why not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Do you honestly think that 16 year olds are that mature?

You need to get a proper look at them next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭full_irish

No, it shouldn't be 16.

1) (The majority) of 16 year olds are idiots. I know I was at that age anyway.

2) If you have a child, you should damn well be a decent parent and not kick it to the kerb when it turns 16.

3) Officialdom?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,562 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

full_irish wrote: »

3) Officialdom?

See this is what I mean. A 16 year old knows what officialdom is. They have to circumvent it every weekend to get their smokes and booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Raise it to 21 rather than lower it I say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm 37 and I'm still an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

I would think there's a better argument for raising it as opposed to lowering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

18 is the age at which officialdom notes that the yoof turn adult (allegedly in a lot of cases).

A lot of parents would surely be happy enough if they could kick their sprogs out of the nest at 16 rather than 18 in to the big bad world to fend for themselves?

Apparently teenagers have matured greatly in the last decade or so they say. So why not?

Jesus no I didnt mature properly until I was 21, and my Sons Aunt on his mother side is a disaster of a 19 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kevin the Kid

18 is fine. 16 is a bit young.
    Depends what you mean by adult?
    Responsible enough to vote ? to have kids? to drink? To pay taxes ? To work for a living? Rent an abode?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Should 16 year olds pay adult fare on the bus/dart though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Grounded by the parents OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

On second thoughts, watching Ireland's leading news anchor fawning over a washed up popstar, I say cull everybody over 35, give the youth a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

The vast majority of 16 year olds are stupid self centred idiots. They probably need more supervision, not less.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Should be 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I'm 37 and I'm still an idiot.

I'm 35 and am an even bigger idiot. I'm astonishingly stupid for someone with a highish IQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,562 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I actually expected more support but instead seems to be a good bit of ageism.

I think it's a bit unfair to say most 16 and 17 year olds are little scrotes. More than a decent percentage of those in much older brackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I'm 35 and am an even bigger idiot. I'm astonishingly stupid for someone with a highish IQ.

It's an idiot off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Should 16 year olds pay adult fare on the bus/dart though

With Leap Card they don't til they're 19 now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Miss Demeanour

At 16 and 18 I didnt know my arse from my elbow......

Might explain why I have 9 kids now.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

people arent growing up till later now. 40 years ago people were adults at 16 or 17, now its 21/22

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

As a 24 year old I'm still not an adult... Doing adult things makes me giggle though

You're legally an adult at 18, but you're a very young, inexperienced and immature adult most likely lacking in the self awareness that life gifts you. An 18 year old adult is incomparable to a 24 year old adult.

At 16 I was still a kid and not cognisant enough of the world and all it's machinations to make mature and considered decisions regarding voting or life choices. If nothing else you learn by the time you're 22 that you aren't invincible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

Candie wrote: »
    You're legally an adult at 18, but you're a very young, inexperienced and immature adult most likely lacking in the self awareness that life gifts you. An 18 year old adult is incomparable to a 24 year old adult.

At 16 I was still a kid and not cognisant enough of the world and all it's machinations to make mature and considered decisions regarding voting or life choices. If nothing else you learn by the time you're 22 that you aren't invincible.

Speak for yourself Candie, I'm superman.

Speak for yourself Candie, I'm superman.

I know that! You're the exception!

I'm still in need of vast amounts of growing up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

16 is too young..21 is too old..18 is fine. Why does it need to change? Most people aged 16-21 are immature regardless, making 16 year olds adults (who are even more immature than 18 year olds) would be completely pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭changepartners

I don't know too many parents who are waiting for the day their kids are 18 so they can kick them out. Sounds very dysfunctional to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

It should be 25. Most 18 year olds dress up like their in one direction and that in itself is reason enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I actually expected more support but instead seems to be a good bit of ageism.

I think it's a bit unfair to say most 16 and 17 year olds are little scrotes. More than a decent percentage of those in much older brackets.

Aha! I wondered if you were 16 or 60. I think I've got my answer.
    At 16 and 18 I didnt know my arse from my elbow......

Might explain why I have 9 kids now.......

Thats not how babies are made ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

It should be 25. Most 18 year olds dress up like their in one direction and that in itself is reason enough.

now days it is. people dont grow up till 23/24/25......when i was 18 i was pretty sure i was going to achieve in life......as a 27 year old i know better

looking back it seems like an age. first day in college, life couldnt be any sweeter. no bills or worrys. the landscape has changed though

i kept messing up until i was about 22/23. finally grew up then.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Lyger

Why would they be happy to now and not in the past?

16-year-olds now are clearly less mature than in th'olden days. Are you just saying something to be controversial? :)

Advertisement