Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football on RTE in Northern Ireland

• 16-10-2014 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi

Up until recently all Republic of Irelands soccer matches shown by RTE were blocked on the NI Mux. But I noticed that both matches on 11th and 14th of October were shown. I presume that they were blocked due to Sky showing the games. But Sky were showing the 2 most recent games also.

Anyone know why they weren't blocked and will all future matches be free from blocking also

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

eamonpk wrote: »
    Hi

Up until recently all Republic of Irelands soccer matches shown by RTE were blocked on the NI Mux. But I noticed that both matches on 11th and 14th of October were shown. I presume that they were blocked due to Sky showing the games. But Sky were showing the 2 most recent games also.

Anyone know why they weren't blocked and will all future matches be free from blocking also

Thanks

Noticed this also. Unsure as to why but notice both BBCNI and UTV have given almost as much prominence to ROI's games as N. Ireland's. Bodes well for Ireland's autumn rugby internationals which are being shown by Sky and RTE.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Two possibilities (1) the new contract between RTE and UEFA allows them to do so or (2) they simply forgot.

icdg wrote: »
    Two possibilities (1) the new contract between RTE and UEFA allows them to do so or (2) they simply forgot.

If they forgot they did so on Sky in NI as well as ROI's matches were 'in the clear.'

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Probably realise that with Saorview so widely available there's no point on blocking it on NIMM! :D

Probably realise that with Saorview so widely available there's no point on blocking it on NIMM! :D

But will they follow suit with Champions League?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,811 ✭✭✭lertsnim

It's obvious the new rights allow them to show the games in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭kooga

interesting to see will the Liverpool game on wed nite be blocked.

the rugby autumn internationals will definitely be blocked! as sky specifically have the uk rights for the November rugby

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

kooga wrote: »

the rugby autumn internationals will definitely be blocked! as sky specifically have the uk rights for the November rugby
    I'd expect the Liverpool game to still be blocked as RTE's rights would differ for Champions League. Be interesting to see, nonetheless.

Don't Sky have specifically UK rights for ROI qualifying games too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Noticed this also. Unsure as to why but notice both BBCNI and UTV have given almost as much prominence to ROI's games as N. Ireland's.

Maybe because three of the players that played for ROI are from NI - Gibson, McClean and Wilson?

• Advertisement

Maybe because three of the players that played for ROI are from NI - Gibson, McClean and Wilson?

and the manager!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I believe the Rugby World Cup is going to be blocked in the North.

Saorview, Freeview and Freesat makes a mockery of the national boundary so whats the point.

TV3 isn't available in NI apart from on Saorview where it can be picked up, so it's not a question of blocking the RWC, more that most NI households won't have access to the ROI channel it's being shown on.

Remember the shoe is on the other foot sometimes, with Europa League football on BT/ESPN being blocked in ROI and all sports on the UPC version of ITV4.

TV3 isn't available in NI apart from on Saorview where it can be picked up, so it's not a question of blocking the RWC, more that most NI households won't have access to the ROI channel it's being shown on.

Remember the shoe is on the other foot sometimes, with Europa League football on BT/ESPN being blocked in ROI and all sports on the UPC version of ITV4.

Doesn't Saorview have a reach of some 70% in NI so TV3 should be available to most NI households should it not?

Doesn't Saorview have a reach of some 70% in NI so TV3 should be available to most NI households should it not?

It was certainly due to increase after ASO, though I've seen no recent figures as to reach - I wouldn't have thought it would be as high as 70%? Perhaps that figure includes the NI mini-mux (which doesn't have TV3).

Also TV3's on neither cable or Sky in NI. Certainly I would be surprised if Saorview was actually installed in 70% of Northern Ireland homes (or even 70% of Republic of Ireland homes, for that matter!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

This from Ofcom a few months before ASO
    NI Mux is predicted to cover 78% of the Northern Ireland population. Saorview overspill from the Republic of Ireland is predicted to cover 56% of viewers in Northern Ireland. Combined coverage of NI Mux and Saorviewis predicted to cover 94% of Northern Ireland viewers.

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/files/2012/07/NIMuxFactsheet4.pdf

Ofcom's Communications Market Report Aug 2014
    Viewing to Republic of Ireland channels

RTÉ 1 and RTÉ 2 are the most popular Republic of Ireland originated TV channels watched in Northern Ireland

Before digital switchover in October 2012, RTÉ One and Two, TG4 (Irish language channel), and TV3 were available to around 56% of the Northern Ireland population via overspill from transmitters in the Republic of Ireland (RoI). Since 2005, TG4 has also broadcast in the Belfast area from the Divis transmitter.

Since digital switchover, RTÉ One and Two, and TG4, have been broadcast from three transmitters in Northern Ireland – Brougher Mountain, Black Mountain and Carnmoney Hill. Added to the existing overspill coverage, this has significantly increased the free-to-view availability of these channels to around 94% of the population.

In addition, the RTÉ services and TG4 are available on Sky and Virgin Media. TV3 is still available only via overspill, which is why the majority of respondents (53%) claim not to have access to the channel.

In Q1 2014, approximately a third of respondents in Northern Ireland with a TV in their household claimed to watch RTÉ One and RTÉ Two on at least a monthly basis (Figure 2.6). In comparison, one in five consumers in Northern Ireland with a TV claimed to watch TV3 and TG4 on at least a monthly basis.

9ux3qp.jpg

Thanks for the info. Surprised that so few claim to watch TV3 and just over half have access to it as where I live well over 70% of houses have aerials pointing at the ROI. I know I'm in an area of good Saorview reception and there are black spots elsewhere e.g. parts of North Down and even some parts of Belfast but I would have thought the vast majority of homes here in NI would have access to Saorview. I must be wrong in my perception.

Digifriendly , out of curiosity

do you have just a single aerial getting both saorview and freeview?

Digifriendly , out of curiosity

do you have just a single aerial getting both saorview and freeview?

No, as Divis (Freeview) and Clermont Carn (Saorview) are different polarisations and different directions. My aerial for Saorview is a 52 element Triax high gain with amplification and it is diplexed with the other Pro 27 Televes aerial so that one lead has both Freeview/Saorview signals. My signal quality and strength for Saorview channels is 100% and the same for all Freeview multiplexes apart from the lower power HD one e.g. BBC News HD which is still coming through clearly. Even the low power NI mini-mux is at 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭eamonpk

byte wrote: »
    I'd expect the Liverpool game to still be blocked as RTE's rights would differ for Champions League. Be interesting to see, nonetheless.

I agree - I will be checking tomorrow night but I am expecting the Liverpool game to be blocked on RTE coming from the NI Mux. I presume that Sky are showing the Champions League that it is they that insist on blocking as it is competition showing the same program.

That is the bit that surprises me - they were showing the ROI game on SS5 (I think) and allowed the competition to show it also. I doubt if they just "forgot" to block it but will be checking tomorrow night

• Advertisement

is the liverpool game on rte on

the sky platform? or the nimux? in NI

is the liverpool game on rte on

the sky platform? or the nimux? in NI

Yes on Sky but No on mini-mux.

That is bizarre! if anything I would have expected it to be the other way around.
    It shows just how arbitrary this geo-blocking is! :confused:

That is bizarre! if anything I would have expected it to be the other way around.
    It shows just how arbitrary this geo-blocking is! :confused:

From recent memory little is now geo -blocked on RTE via Sky here in NI while mini-mux seems to block considerably more e.g. Home and Away.

I presume you mean SS1 SS2 etc rather than RTE through the Sky dish which is what I would expect

I presume you mean SS1 SS2 etc rather than RTE through the Sky dish which is what I would expect

I mean RTE via Sky/satellite dish.

I mean RTE via Sky/satellite dish.

So the match wasn't blocked on RTE using Sky - Is it Sky NI you have?

I have Sky ROI for use up here in Belfast as I can't get Saorview and I didn't want to have the football blocked - also it would be the only way I can get TV3

Be careful with the way the discussion is going now - it is against the terms and conditions of a Sky residential subscription to use the viewing card at an address other than the address at which it is registered

So the match wasn't blocked on RTE using Sky - Is it Sky NI you have?

I have Sky ROI for use up here in Belfast as I can't get Saorview and I didn't want to have the football blocked - also it would be the only way I can get TV3

I have a Sky card registered to NI address so it is Sky NI I have and Liverpool match was 'in the clear'. IIRC all the Champions League matches have been 'in the clear' here this season. It will be interesting to see what happens with the Irish rugby team's Autumn internationals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Can confirm it wasn't in the minimux.
    I've the parents telly setup for freeview and my dad couldn't see the Liverpool match(and he never thought of scanning the listings for the saorview version)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

I have a Sky card registered to NI address so it is Sky NI I have and Liverpool match was 'in the clear'. IIRC all the Champions League matches have been 'in the clear' here this season. It will be interesting to see what happens with the Irish rugby team's Autumn internationals.

Also, Channel 4 no longer block programmes in ROI since 1st Jan 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Re the lower number of people watching TV3 in NI - don't forget a lot of people who watched RTE Analogue in NI may not have Mpeg4 compatible Digital TV's and if they have then bought "cheapish boxes" for the NI HD channels, the boxes may not store the Saorview services - or if it does, they'll appear down in the 800's with an epg that may or may not work.
    Also there are issues with quite a number of boxes which get very confused by the MUXES from two different countries.

SRB wrote: »
    Re the lower number of people watching TV3 in NI - don't forget a lot of people who watched RTE Analogue in NI may not have Mpeg4 compatible Digital TV's and if they have then bought "cheapish boxes" for the NI HD channels, the boxes may not store the Saorview services - or if it does, they'll appear down in the 800's with an epg that may or may not work.
    Also there are issues with quite a number of boxes which get very confused by the MUXES from two different countries.

Very true. My Panasonic PVR receives both Saorview/Freeview but only minimal epg info. on Saorview channels while a separate Sony PVR won't timer record from both systems..

Big question now is - will RTE coverage of Ireland's Rugby Autumn internationals beginning on Saturday week be geo-blocked on Sky here in NI and on Freeview? Will be very interesting to see considering the fact that rugby here in the north is run by the Ulster branch of the IRFU, the national body covering the whole of the island.

a bit of a strange one that

rte only have the rights for the ROI for the autumn internationals
    sky have the uk rights and that includes NI

however saorview overspill in NI will allow viewers with the correct equipment to watch the games on rte

on the other hand will sky sports be geo blocked in the ROI when the games are on.

• Advertisement

The answer to that is Yes and No. RTE will be blocked in NI, Sky Sports wont be in ROI.

I know it's not fair, but it's what the IRFU agreed with Sky and RTE.

The answer to that is Yes and No. RTE will be blocked in NI, Sky Sports wont be in ROI.

I know it's not fair, but it's what the IRFU agreed with Sky and RTE.

Have you any link stating that this is definitely the case? Remember ROI's European Championship Qualifiers have not been geo-blocked here in NI.
    Here's a link which I have now found which supports your statement - http://www.thejournal.ie/rte-to-block-coverage-of-rugby-internationals-in-ni-from-next-year-800396-Feb2013/

whats the situation with the man city game tonite on rte 2

sky ni?
    Ni mux?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Wasn't available on Sky NI anyway.

whats the situation with the man city game tonite on rte 2

sky ni?
    Ni mux?

Both geo-blocked. Doesn't look good for Saturday's rugby.

• Advertisement

Doesn't look good for Saturday's rugby.
    It'll be blocked, only chance is Saorview.

It'll be blocked, only chance is Saorview.

Tend to agree. Pity as just over 50% of viewers here have Saorview (see post 17) and rugby is a national sport covering the whole of the island so national side will not be seen by many here in NI. Also no highlights of these Ireland AI's listed by BBC. At least England's AI's (covered live by Sky) are shown in highlights by BBC. I presume 'Against the Head' (Mon. on RTE2) will not be geo-blocked.

Champions League shown on RTE this week was blocked on RTE from from Freeview in NI and I guess this is going to be the case for all future Champions League on RTE. I am hoping at least that the rest of the Republics Euro 2016 will be shown but does anyone out there
    know for sure

Very disappointing also if none of the Autumn Rugby Internationals won't be shown as seems to be the way it looks. Unlike the soccer rugby has an All Ireland team but I'm sure this has no consequence when it comes to rights with Sky etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Very disappointing also if none of the Autumn Rugby Internationals won't be shown as seems to be the way it looks. Unlike the soccer rugby has an All Ireland team but I'm sure this has no consequence when it comes to rights with Sky etc

It has no consequence because the IRFU negotiated it that way.

Indeed - it's value to Sky would be a lot less if exclusivity in NI wasn't included. The Autumn Internationals are not listed and I'm not sure why they didn't go for exclusivity in ROI too - they already have Ireland's Summer Internationals when they are in SANZAR countries (which is usually two out of every four years - excepting World Cup years when there are none and Lions years when the depleted squad goes to North America)

Surprise, surprise. Ireland match 'in the clear' on both RTE via Sky and on Freeview in NI.

Surprise, surprise. Ireland match 'in the clear' on both RTE via Sky and on Freeview in NI.

sssssshhhh

(happy days!)

IRFU must have had a word with SKY! (To be honest it's hardly worth geo-blocking RTÉ in Northern Ireland with Saorview so widely available)

IRFU must have had a word with SKY! (To be honest it's hardly worth geo-blocking RTÉ in Northern Ireland with Saorview so widely available)

Saorview is estimated to cover just 56% of the population in NI (see post 17) while the local RTE mini-mux covers 78%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Saorview is estimated to cover just 56% of the population in NI (see post 17) while the local RTE mini-mux covers 78%.
    The 56% figure for Saorview population coverage in Northern Ireland is IMO a quite conservative estimate - a lot of places on their coverage map which suggests "Saorview may be a challenge in your area" in my experience can actually get solid Saorview services with a decent outdoor aerial. If an area was previously able to get a scratchy analogue picture from TG4 (or RTÉ1/2 if on UHF) then Saorview reception should be fine in most cases.

WRT programming rights, RTÉ don't seem to have the rights to show Champions League soccer outside of the RoI (not exactly unique, quite a few otherwise FTA broadcasters on satellite in Europe either have to encrypt or blackout for showing their coverage of games), but the Euro 2016 qualifying games seem to be a different kettle of fish, with UEFA not seemingly insisting on coverage blackouts for these games - I was able to watch the recent Greece vs. N.Ireland game on NERIT and it wasn't using BISS at the time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement