Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football on RTE in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

I have a Sky card registered to NI address so it is Sky NI I have and Liverpool match was 'in the clear'. IIRC all the Champions League matches have been 'in the clear' here this season. It will be interesting to see what happens with the Irish rugby team's Autumn internationals.

Also, Channel 4 no longer block programmes in ROI since 1st Jan 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Re the lower number of people watching TV3 in NI - don't forget a lot of people who watched RTE Analogue in NI may not have Mpeg4 compatible Digital TV's and if they have then bought "cheapish boxes" for the NI HD channels, the boxes may not store the Saorview services - or if it does, they'll appear down in the 800's with an epg that may or may not work.
    Also there are issues with quite a number of boxes which get very confused by the MUXES from two different countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

SRB wrote: »
    Re the lower number of people watching TV3 in NI - don't forget a lot of people who watched RTE Analogue in NI may not have Mpeg4 compatible Digital TV's and if they have then bought "cheapish boxes" for the NI HD channels, the boxes may not store the Saorview services - or if it does, they'll appear down in the 800's with an epg that may or may not work.
    Also there are issues with quite a number of boxes which get very confused by the MUXES from two different countries.

Very true. My Panasonic PVR receives both Saorview/Freeview but only minimal epg info. on Saorview channels while a separate Sony PVR won't timer record from both systems..

Big question now is - will RTE coverage of Ireland's Rugby Autumn internationals beginning on Saturday week be geo-blocked on Sky here in NI and on Freeview? Will be very interesting to see considering the fact that rugby here in the north is run by the Ulster branch of the IRFU, the national body covering the whole of the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

a bit of a strange one that

rte only have the rights for the ROI for the autumn internationals
    sky have the uk rights and that includes NI

however saorview overspill in NI will allow viewers with the correct equipment to watch the games on rte

on the other hand will sky sports be geo blocked in the ROI when the games are on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

The answer to that is Yes and No. RTE will be blocked in NI, Sky Sports wont be in ROI.

I know it's not fair, but it's what the IRFU agreed with Sky and RTE.

icdg wrote: »
    The answer to that is Yes and No. RTE will be blocked in NI, Sky Sports wont be in ROI.

I know it's not fair, but it's what the IRFU agreed with Sky and RTE.

Have you any link stating that this is definitely the case? Remember ROI's European Championship Qualifiers have not been geo-blocked here in NI.
    Here's a link which I have now found which supports your statement - http://www.thejournal.ie/rte-to-block-coverage-of-rugby-internationals-in-ni-from-next-year-800396-Feb2013/

whats the situation with the man city game tonite on rte 2

sky ni?
    Ni mux?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Wasn't available on Sky NI anyway.

kooga wrote: »
    whats the situation with the man city game tonite on rte 2

sky ni?
    Ni mux?

Both geo-blocked. Doesn't look good for Saturday's rugby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

Doesn't look good for Saturday's rugby.
    It'll be blocked, only chance is Saorview.

It'll be blocked, only chance is Saorview.

Tend to agree. Pity as just over 50% of viewers here have Saorview (see post 17) and rugby is a national sport covering the whole of the island so national side will not be seen by many here in NI. Also no highlights of these Ireland AI's listed by BBC. At least England's AI's (covered live by Sky) are shown in highlights by BBC. I presume 'Against the Head' (Mon. on RTE2) will not be geo-blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭eamonpk

Champions League shown on RTE this week was blocked on RTE from from Freeview in NI and I guess this is going to be the case for all future Champions League on RTE. I am hoping at least that the rest of the Republics Euro 2016 will be shown but does anyone out there
    know for sure

Very disappointing also if none of the Autumn Rugby Internationals won't be shown as seems to be the way it looks. Unlike the soccer rugby has an All Ireland team but I'm sure this has no consequence when it comes to rights with Sky etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

eamonpk wrote: »
    Very disappointing also if none of the Autumn Rugby Internationals won't be shown as seems to be the way it looks. Unlike the soccer rugby has an All Ireland team but I'm sure this has no consequence when it comes to rights with Sky etc

It has no consequence because the IRFU negotiated it that way.

Indeed - it's value to Sky would be a lot less if exclusivity in NI wasn't included. The Autumn Internationals are not listed and I'm not sure why they didn't go for exclusivity in ROI too - they already have Ireland's Summer Internationals when they are in SANZAR countries (which is usually two out of every four years - excepting World Cup years when there are none and Lions years when the depleted squad goes to North America)

Surprise, surprise. Ireland match 'in the clear' on both RTE via Sky and on Freeview in NI.

Surprise, surprise. Ireland match 'in the clear' on both RTE via Sky and on Freeview in NI.

sssssshhhh

(happy days!)

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭formerly scottish paddy

IRFU must have had a word with SKY! (To be honest it's hardly worth geo-blocking RTÉ in Northern Ireland with Saorview so widely available)

IRFU must have had a word with SKY! (To be honest it's hardly worth geo-blocking RTÉ in Northern Ireland with Saorview so widely available)

Saorview is estimated to cover just 56% of the population in NI (see post 17) while the local RTE mini-mux covers 78%.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

Saorview is estimated to cover just 56% of the population in NI (see post 17) while the local RTE mini-mux covers 78%.
    The 56% figure for Saorview population coverage in Northern Ireland is IMO a quite conservative estimate - a lot of places on their coverage map which suggests "Saorview may be a challenge in your area" in my experience can actually get solid Saorview services with a decent outdoor aerial. If an area was previously able to get a scratchy analogue picture from TG4 (or RTÉ1/2 if on UHF) then Saorview reception should be fine in most cases.

WRT programming rights, RTÉ don't seem to have the rights to show Champions League soccer outside of the RoI (not exactly unique, quite a few otherwise FTA broadcasters on satellite in Europe either have to encrypt or blackout for showing their coverage of games), but the Euro 2016 qualifying games seem to be a different kettle of fish, with UEFA not seemingly insisting on coverage blackouts for these games - I was able to watch the recent Greece vs. N.Ireland game on NERIT and it wasn't using BISS at the time.

• Advertisement

The Scotland v Republic of Ireland match tonight. Anyone know or even guess is it on RTE (from NI Freeview) or Sky NI.

I am only guessing but I think it will be shown on both but does anyone out there know for sure?

The Scotland v Republic of Ireland match tonight. Anyone know or even guess is it on RTE (from NI Freeview) or Sky NI.

I am only guessing but I think it will be shown on both but does anyone out there know for sure?

Previous ROI Qualifying games have been shown 'in the clear' on both Freeview and Sky so signs good for this one as well.

whats the story for virgin cable customers in belfast?

whats the story for virgin cable customers in belfast?
    As far as I know they will get exactly what Sky NI - Is RTE available on Virgin in NI?

As far as I know they will get exactly what Sky NI - Is RTE available on Virgin in NI?

According to this page both RTE1/2 are - http://www.mediauk.com/tv/platforms/virgin-media

well anyone at home in ni with the match on?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

well anyhome home in ni with the match on?
    The coverage is on Sky NI at the moment anyway.

well anyone at home in ni with the match on?

'In the clear' coverage on RTE via Freeview as well.

ROI vs USA friendly international geo-blocked on RTE both on Sky and Freeview here in NI. As Setanta had the live rights I wonder did they insist on this as ROI's European qualifiers (Sky hold UK rights) have so far all been 'in the clear?

• Advertisement

Odd of them to bother insisting when RTE only had a highlights show, but no once else would have.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement