Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hacks

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

smash wrote: »
    The point stands that cloud is at it's core, not really different from how digital information has been stored for decades and as such it's a buzzword. Given this fact, why would you or anyone expect it to be any more secure than a server farm from over 10 years ago. You have to disregard software updates because as software updates, hacking techniques update too.

Ah here - what? You're just saying words for no apparent reason now. No - cloud is not similar at all to how digital information has been stored for decades? Jaysus - you're asking if there's a difference between digital security between now and 2004? And - yep, that was kind of my point. Hacking has got more sophisticated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Ah here - what? You're just saying words for no apparent reason now. No - cloud is not similar at all to how digital information has been stored for decades?
    Please explain how....
    Jaysus - you're asking if there's a difference between digital security between now and 2004? And - yep, that was kind of my point. Hacking has got more sophisticated.
    I'm not asking if there's a difference in security, I'm saying there is no real difference in security because as it progresses, so do hackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

I despise the word "Cloud" as a technical term and immediately assume the person actually has no idea what they are referring to when they say it.

Your data is NEVER safe... Encryption, protocols and standards have all been thought up and designed by people, and therefore will ALWAYS be vulnerable. Some things can be well designed and protected, but never 100%.

Please explain how....

What an easy thing to say. "Please explain why black is not white..."

Look - I'm not sure how technical you are - but being "in the cloud", still means that your data is sitting on physical servers. But these guys are a million miles better than anything you would have had ten years ago. You want to know how their data storage is different from everything we've had for decades? Their physical data access restrictions, and their virtual data access restrictions, and their encryption methods pretty much. Come on - you really can't disagree with me on this point.
    I'm not asking if there's a difference in security, I'm saying there is no real difference in security because as it progresses, so do hackers.

Fair enough.

What an easy thing to say. "Please explain why black is not white..."

Look - I'm not sure how technical you are - but being "in the cloud", still means that your data is sitting on physical servers. But these guys are a million miles better than anything you would have had ten years ago. You want to know how their data storage is different from everything we've had for decades? Their physical data access restrictions, and their virtual data access restrictions, and their encryption methods pretty much. Come on - you really can't disagree with me on this point.

I really don't get you... I say cloud is a buzzword, you say it's not. I say it's just a server farm, you say it's not. Then you explain your definition as "being "in the cloud", still means that your data is sitting on physical servers". :confused:

• Advertisement

I really don't get you... I say cloud is a buzzword, you say it's not. I say it's just a server farm, you say it's not. Then you explain your definition as "being "in the cloud", still means that your data is sitting on physical servers". :confused:

It's not my definition. Data "in the cloud" still sits on physical servers. Call it a server farm - that's fine. But, I have yet to see that term being used by real people in relation to actual datacentres.

Cloud is not a buzzword. It's not jargon. It might be unreliable... But - like it or not - it's going to hang around for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Encrypt your data.

Problem solved.

It's not my definition. Data "in the cloud" still sits on physical servers. Call it a server farm - that's fine. But, I have yet to see that term being used by real people in relation to actual datacentres.

Cloud is not a buzzword. It's not jargon. It might be unreliable... But - like it or not - it's going to hang around for a while.

You need to listen to yourself. You've just agreed with everything I've said from the start and are now trying to somehow make it look like you're trying to teach me what cloud computing is.

It's nothing to do with reliability, it's to do with 'Cloud' being a buzz word to describe something that essentially has been around for a long long time.

You need to listen to yourself. You've just agreed with everything I've said from the start and are now trying to somehow make it look like you're trying to teach me what cloud computing is.

It's nothing to do with reliability, it's to do with 'Cloud' being a buzz word to describe something that essentially has been around for a long long time.

Ok. I wasn't looking for an online argument - which may make one of us. I didn't say that I disagreed with you in a lot of your points. I do not think Cloud is a buzz word - and that is really not worth discussing. Your argument is hollow:
    It's to do with '[anything]' being a buzz word to describe something that essentially has been around for a long long time.

Things change man.

Advertisement