Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U-16 GAA match abandoned over alleged racist abuse ( WHAT A DISGRACE!! )

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

it's only fair to question it.
    We can't just rush in gung ho at any allegation.
    It need to be investigated and part of that it to question the (if any) motive of the compliant

Rushing in "gung ho"at any allegation is very much the norm around here.
    I wonder are those that don't seem to believe the kids complaint the same people that are so forthright about other alleged offenders?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Hopefully Cork county board are swift and fair in dealing with this. I remember Wexford were quick to hand out bans 2-3 years ago when Lee Chin got abused. A Meath minor player was exonerated after allegedly making racist comments to a black Westmeath player last year. Many at the game said it was a bad decision to come to so a more consistent approach is needed.
    Hard enough one to deal with if its on the pitch and only the players are in ear shot. If you strike a lad its fairly obvious but this is more grey.
    With a bit of luck GAA teams, county boards, fans etc help stamp it out as much as they can and not go down the Liverpool FC route of wearing T-shirts in support of alleged racists and boo those who claim to be abused.
    Ethnic minorities need to be involved in Irish culture not to be made feel unwelcome. Integration > Segregation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,111 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

iDave wrote: »
    Hopefully Cork county board are swift and fair in dealing with this. I remember Wexford were quick to hand out bans 2-3 years ago when Lee Chin got abused. A Meath minor player was exonerated after allegedly making racist comments to a black Westmeath player last year. Many at the game said it was a bad decision to come to so a more consistent approach is needed.
    Hard enough one to deal with if its on the pitch and only the players are in ear shot. If you strike a lad its fairly obvious but this is more grey.
    With a bit of luck GAA teams, county boards, fans etc help stamp it out as much as they can and not go down the Liverpool FC route of wearing T-shirts in support of alleged racists and boo those who claim to be abused.
    Ethnic minorities need to be involved in Irish culture not to be made feel unwelcome. Integration > Segregation.

Unnessecary and cheap dig at Liverpool aside, are you saying the GAA shoud punish every accusation of racism on the basis, "ah sure it probably happened, so we might as well throw the book at him."?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Just gag all players while they're on the field.

Problem solved folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Unnessecary and cheap dig at Liverpool aside, are you saying the GAA shoud punish every accusation of racism on the basis, "ah sure it probably happened, so we might as well throw the book at him."?

No not saying that at all. Like I said its a hard one to deal with as its my word against yours situation. And even harder at club level with just one referee and no TV. I used Liverpool as an example of how not to deal with it.
    The FA banned John Terry based on the balance of probabilities but the courts acquitted him because it wasn't proven beyond reasonable doubt. GAA has to figure out what way it wants to go.
    But better education is something they will have to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,111 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

iDave wrote: »
    No not saying that at all. Like I said its a hard one to deal with as its my word against yours situation. And even harder at club level with just one referee and no TV. I used Liverpool as an example of how not to deal with it.

We both know that's not true. Terry and Suarez had the same verdict. One was vilified, one was exonerated.
    The FA banned John Terry based on the balance of probabilities but the courts acquitted him because it wasn't proven beyond reasonable doubt. GAA has to figure out what way it wants to go.
    But better education is something they will have to do.

Which is exactly what happened with Suarez - the wording was "probably" guilty.

You can't have "assumed" guilt which is why both Liverpool and Chelsea stood by their player, and why the GAA would be advised to avoud such a verdict.

But fans and onlookers of the GAA need to be consistent as well. Soccer fans were as guilty as the FA were of making rash and stupid judgements.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

diomed wrote:
    The GAA will excuse their way out of this, or more than likely say nothing, as we all know nothing happened.
    Why do you make that out?
    30/01/14. http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/gaa-plan-to-give-racism-the-red-card-257064.html

GAA director general Páraic Duffy “I think any incidents of racist, sectarian issues do damage the reputation of the GAA ..." but nothing about the people suffering abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭crannglas

The GAA is rife with racism just like many sectors of Irish society. How many black Gardaí do you see for example?
    The dumbest comment I ever saw in my life. The black people here are obviously not going for job or not getting in cause not qualified or can't check background etc.. etc.. grow up. With only hiring two hundred peopls , are you implying they should hire someone cause they are black to prove they aren't racist. Give me a ****ing break. They did have a black guy in garda reserve who got arrested for sixth grand welfare fraud. You're outrage is a joke. As for op. No child should be abused disgracful if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

Ronin247 wrote: »
    Team is losing
    Star player gets sent off
    Player says it is "racism"
    Coach sees chance to get a replay and pulls team from game.

Not saying this is true, but it is exactly what the other team will be claiming.
    anncoates wrote: »
    Just slyly implying it.

No, just pointing out that there are two sides to every story. I grew up in a racially diverse area, where there were all colours and creeds in my life, I have seen extreme acts of racism and have carried out racist acts myself, due to peer pressure and stupidity when I was younger, and I have seen the race card played by friends and others as well, so I think, when one uncorroborated version of an event is presented, it isn't a bad thing to present an opposing view.

Advertisement