Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lego - Did you or Do You Still Love it?

Options
  • 15-10-2014 9:20pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,590 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was madly in love with Lego as a kid back in the 1980s. For years, I forgot my love of Lego but in the past couple of years my love of Lego has returned. I'm building up a new collection and although I'm approaching 40, I'm not in the least bit embarrassed. My love of Lego had returned. I was at the Art of Tge Brick exhibition in Ansterdam a few months ago and was enthralled.

So, do any AHers still love that great, creative toy, Lego?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,545 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There are 62 LEGO bricks for every person on earth. Somebody else has mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Nah! My kids grew out of it in the late 70s. Most kids do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Loved Lego as a kid, and now as an adult I get to spend loads of time with my kids playing with their Lego.

Totally worth the 18 years of debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I'm 29 and usual get Technic every Christmas. :o love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

My mum never bought me any :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

You do know there is a whole lego section on boards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Dr. Zaius Dr. Zaius!

Lego, Knex and Mechano, loved them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Lego rocked. I learnt how to build stuff through playing with lego. I still get to play with big lego for a living now. My kids hate Lego...they're wrong....

Lego, Knex and Mechano, loved them!

That was a dodgy Meccano set, the spelling should have been a giveaway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I got this when I was about six or seven, think it's still in the attic of the home house somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Yes, and every engineer I meet (with my job, that's a lot) says the same if the subject of toys comes up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭walshyp

I love lego

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭walshyp

walshyp wrote: »
    How much lego can you stick up your bum?

What has been your experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I was more of a Sticklebricks(tm) man, but after spending some time with young 'uns over the past week or so, have changed my mind. Made a petrol station and a dog house (which flies for some reason). :p

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭crannglas

Op you are a show off. I couldn't afford Lego when I was a kid. That was rich man's toys then and now. I had the busy bodies. They had no hair. I hid behind sofa and played seat for hours. I bet I got more love and enjoyment out of my cheap ass lego man than you ever got out of your rich mans Lego. **** you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

My 7 year old son got the Lego Death Star from Santa last Christmas. It's still a work in progress but it looks cool. He's back building thanks to the weather and I'm always happy to get involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

I got this when I was about six or seven, think it's still in the attic of the home house somewhere.

Wow that brings back memory's! I had the exact one, I loved lego and still enjoy an evening putting things together with my little lad when he's in a " lego phase"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I did love Lego as a child, but my OCD for symmetry of colour always made it harder for me to construct anything. Houses had to have rows of same colour bricks and inevitably I just ended up building very similar structures with alternating red and blue roofs. The slanty roof bits only seemed to come in red blue and black.

Oh and when it got old and a bit grubby was harder to prise the pieces apart.

(Wow that was like therapy, regressed a bit there)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Wanted a Lego fire truck from Santa when I was a kid. It took batteries and it had a remote control.

It was cool but looking back it was a boy's box of Lego which explains why I never got it cause my mother was sexist. Got a girly box Lego of a house.... To play housewife. Putting me in my place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

You haven't lived til you've stepped on a piece of Lego barefoot.

My son is big into it at the minute, got the Ghostbusters car a few months back and has a few sets from the film on his birthday list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

The new orange lego tool, which is used to separate the pieces and comes in biggish sets now is an absolute godsend. The amount of sore fingers and broken nails it will save.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Dr. Zaius Dr. Zaius!

That was a dodgy Meccano set, the spelling should have been a giveaway.

But the man man in the hi-ace van who kept calling my father "boss" assured him it was legit! Are you trying to tell me he wasnt a reputable seller??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I was a 70's kid and I can't remember having any lego. It wouldn't have been my sort of thing really.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Wanted a Lego fire truck from Santa when I was a kid. It took batteries and it had a remote control.

It was cool but looking back it was a boy's box of Lego which explains why I never got it cause my mother was sexist. Got a girly box Lego of a house.... To play housewife. Putting me in my place.

Do boys not build and live in houses? Was it some weird form of Lego that couldn't be assembled into anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

• Registered Users Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

In my first apartment I had a giant flower pot filled with Lego in the sitting room, any time we had sessions there was always someone sitting on the floor playing with it within ten minuets :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Argos/Smyths have sales on once in a while. I only buy Lego then.

Its a bit of craic and sooooooo much fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Love it, never had much of my own but my granny kept an old flower box full of it in the living room for when the grandkids would get shooed up there. Kept me and my cousins quiet for many years, its still in the same place to this day.

I tried to get my younger cousins into it but they don't get the appeal, what's wrong with them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am 28 and I got a lot of Lego. Some of it is for display purposes, like tower from Lord of the rings. Some for collecting ( lord of the rings and hobit), and then ofcourse for pure pleasure of building - Technic.

I got in to it 2 years ago during xmas. Got myself a remote 4x4 lego technic as xmas present. That was enough to make my lego addict lol.
    AFOL community is massive at this day and age. Some of really amazing creation were made out of Lego. Just go on YouTube.
    One thing that I found amazing about lego as adult - great stress relief activity. Takes your mind off your problems better then anything.

Advertisement