Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saturday Ascot

Options
  • 15-10-2014 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

I am convinced that it will be MAAREKS day at Ascot this coming Sat. Have taken a good bet at 8s with PP. Conditions will be perfect and same Pilot as when winning this 2 years ago. Wasn't given a hard race in Paris after missing the break , hood to be fitted in stalls to stop him from acting up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Very weak QEII. Why would O'Brien not enter Verrazano and War Command?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

Verrazano was retired to stud after picking up an injury.

War Command needs rattling fast ground.

Saturday will be a day for the mudlarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Both are retired to stud and American bred they would hate that ground. The race is so bad it beggars belief I was actually considering Kingsbarns each way at 20/1

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Ascot were very lucky for the first two years of this "Champions" meeting. They had unusually quick ground for this time of year and they had Frankel.

This year's "Champions" meeting is more of a sign of things to come - sh!tty ground and noticeable lack of "champions" on display. They need to rethink this meeting and have it earlier in the season. They also need to sort of the lunacy of running the Middle Park and the Dewhurst on the same day at Newmarket today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Ascot were very lucky for the first two years of this "Champions" meeting. They had unusually quick ground for this time of year and they had Frankel.

This year's "Champions" meeting is more of a sign of things to come - sh!tty ground and noticeable lack of "champions" on display. They need to rethink this meeting and have it earlier in the season. They also need to sort of the lunacy of running the Middle Park and the Dewhurst on the same day at Newmarket today.
    Don't see why they don't have a champions day on the all weather. Guaranteed good ground and its something different at the end of the long turf season.

• Advertisement

On another note how on earth is Top Notch Tonto 10/1. Handicapper is all he is, should be at least 25s:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭sdoc13

4.45 ascot. I think bold thady quill has a chance tomorrow on his preferred ground. Have been convinced he has a big handicap of this nature on him and 40/1 5 places with bet365 looks way too big to me. Smullen on board also a big plus. 2 pts ew.

Also think maarek at 7s is a great bet.

Anyone any thoughts on chiquitta. She ran a shocker in the arc but think she could be big price at 6s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭sdoc13

2.35 Cheltenham

Astracad 8/1 laddies.

Lowest mark since winning at the the course in 2011. Backed it when 5th in this last year. Think off this mark he has an outstanding chance. 2pts ew

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

mountai wrote: »
    I am convinced that it will be MAAREKS day at Ascot this coming Sat. Have taken a good bet at 8s with PP. Conditions will be perfect and same Pilot as when winning this 2 years ago. Wasn't given a hard race in Paris after missing the break , hood to be fitted in stalls to stop him from acting up.

With the form Spencer is in, I couldn't back one of his mounts with counterfeit money

Whatever is going on with him, the sooner the better he is off the scene

think Eddie Lynam could still collect prize with Viztoria

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Gringo180 wrote: »
    On another note how on earth is Top Notch Tonto 10/1. Handicapper is all he is, should be at least 25s:eek:

love the ground, second in this last year, this doesnt look a much better renewal
    I do recall folks saying something similiar last year though or rather how bad a group one it would be if tnt won it

wondering if custom cut can take another step forward and take this, looks decent ew at 8s for a horse who will go on the ground and never runs a bad one

• Advertisement

5/2 Leading Light is a gift that should be welcomed with two hands

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Joseph fecked up badly on him at The Curragh last time. He should have too much class for this lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 arsenalfh

Any worries about the heavy ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

arsenalfh wrote: »
    Any worries about the heavy ground?

Won on heavy as 2 yo
    Forgotten Rules would be 20's if trained by anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rockthekasbah

First time poster here lads enjoy the threads on racing,they are a lot more uplifting than the Waterford GAA thread at the minute. Think Roalco Des Farges might outrun his odds in the 3.45 at Cheltenham.The trip is more suitabe than his last two runs

He did win his maiden on heavy. This horse could well be the best stayer since Yeats bearing in mind his only defeats were in an Arc and a messed up Irish leger and first time out. I don't think he actually wants 2 1/2 miles and his class got him through the Gold Cup. Forgotten rules could be the most under priced horse of the weekend

He is a model of consistency and I thought he's more of an 11/10 shot.

Keen on Le Bec at Cheltenham too

mailburner wrote: »
    love the ground, second in this last year, this doesnt look a much better renewal
    I do recall folks saying something similiar last year though or rather how bad a group one it would be if tnt won it

wondering if custom cut can take another step forward and take this, looks decent ew at 8s for a horse who will go on the ground and never runs a bad one

It was an appalling race last year too, Dawn Approach was gone at the game, Olympic Glory trounced them and I wouldnt particuarly call him a great miler if were been honest, besides TNT was in much much better form last year and he went off at 14s.

Integral for me, Moore in the saddle too..

SOme of the pricing for tomorrows racing is ludicrous, Ruler of the World only 7s and Al Kazeem is 25s even tho there was only a nose between them in the Arc. Al Kazeem usually takes a few runs to see him at the top of his game he could go well at a big price.

Al Kazeem not tested on ground like this, Ruler ran a cracker in this last year and is at least win the Foy. I wouldn't use the proximity of the two in the Arc for this race, the arc is one of the few races I can very easily forgive horses a bad run in.

Al Kazeem not tested on ground like this, Ruler ran a cracker in this last year and is at least win the Foy. I wouldn't use the proximity of the two in the Arc for this race, the arc is one of the few races I can very easily forgive horses a bad run in.

Trainer is on record that he would prefer a bit of juice in the ground. Could be totally wrong on it but thats a huge price difference think ill throw a small each way bet on him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Trainer is on record that he would prefer a bit of juice in the ground. Could be totally wrong on it but thats a huge price difference think ill throw a small each way bet on him.
    He loved the ground ( slow by 11.66 ) when winning the Jockey Club Cup Gp3 by 4 1/2l as a 4yo. I was surprised when he handled firm as well he did after that, he's one of those horses that go on any ground.

Would be disappointing if he was good enough to win. Hard to pick a horse in this, should be a penalty kick for Cirrus but he's really old. If Cirrus doesn't win it then it's guesswork as to who will.

At least there are plenty of nice prices available.

Ruler Of The World would be my reluctant choice based on his history in the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

After watching Newmarket yesterday they really have made a dogs dinner of the 2yr old races.No excitment or atmosphere nothing really dull as watching paint dry.

I have no fewer than four horses from my tracker running today. Le Bec could prove a cut above these despite his mark of 149 and can take this before going on to better things.

Badly out of own, Ask Dad is extremely well handicapped based on some form in England but even on Irish form earlier in the year. He's worth a small chance at Cork over his preferred trip and a good draw at 25/1

• Registered Users Posts: 16,461 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

4/1 with Betfred if you're quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

He did win his maiden on heavy. This horse could well be the best stayer since Yeats bearing in mind his only defeats were in an Arc and a messed up Irish leger and first time out. I don't think he actually wants 2 1/2 miles and his class got him through the Gold Cup. Forgotten rules could be the most under priced horse of the weekend

He is a model of consistency and I thought he's more of an 11/10 shot.

Keen on Le Bec at Cheltenham too
    There's a strong smell of urban sea of this post?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,840 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Catterick 4.15 CONRY 7/1

Won last 4 races at Catterick, 3 of them were soft ground

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

some performance be forgotten rules, skys the limit next year

backed leading light at 4/1 but did double the weld duo so theres hope yet

Leading Light ran an absolute shocker, don't think he liked that ground at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭rossom

All about the mud machine Maarek in the next at Ascot. Thought he did remarkably well to be beaten only 2.5L in the Abbaye having fallen out of the stalls. If they do employ the hood and he breaks on terms he'll take a load of beating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,461 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

rossom wrote: »
    All about the mud machine Maarek in the next at Ascot. Thought he did remarkably well to be beaten only 2.5L in the Abbaye having fallen out of the stalls. If they do employ the hood and he breaks on terms he'll take a load of beating
    Apparently Ryan Moore has described the ground like a ploughed field.

Advertisement