Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

decisions you've made and think thank christ

Options
  • 15-10-2014 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

I'm no scientist but I do believe that the natural universe influences how we behave and what we decide. I've always been worried if I've made right decisions in the past. even if they are regretful, there is still a positive to be taken from it. As a single person, I nearly fell into the trap of staying with someone whose not compatible a few times..as painful as splitting up was at the time, I look back and think, thank christ I got out of that relationship or trusted instinct and opted out of a situation.

What are that decisions/actions you took that you now feel thankful of?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

lufties wrote: »
    What are that decisions/actions you took that you now feel thankful of?

I once paid a ten pound fine instead of taking a "Chance" and avoided crippling hotel repairs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 The Rugged Chuck Norris

I used to pray but Jesus owed me some money once so I had to round house kick him to the face.

Its where Protestants came from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Marrying my wife.

Best decision I ever made and I frequently congratulate myself on my foresight in snapping her up before someone else got her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭deadybai

Stopped talking to my best friend I had since primary school. Jesus he was some loser.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's all preordained apparently.Just a pile of atoms following their natural cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Marrying my wife.

Best decision I ever made and I frequently congratulate myself on my foresight in snapping her up before someone else got her.

:) divorcing mine.

Defo best decision I made - there was no hanging about going through months (or years :eek:) of trying to make it work. Had a problem (kinda major) discussed it and she wasn't budging and made an instant decision. Boom. End of.

Instant weight off my shoulders and whole new lease of life discovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Taking a year out of my Civil Engineering course (after Higher Cet, before Ordinary Degree) in 2007 to work..... then not going back to the course

• Registered Users Posts: 23 QueenieB

Changing to an ECB tracker mortgage in the boom times. It saved our skins when the crash happened and property prices fell. The bank tried to get us to change with all kinds of incentives but we didn't budge.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

I used to pray but Jesus owed me some money once so I had to round house kick him to the face.

Its where Protestants came from

Are you posting from 2006?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

Quitting smoking, leaving Scotland, starting university again to escape TEFL and not a decision I made but someone ending things with me in my late 20s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Not accepting an offer to train to be a Garda 8 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Close the window of the jeep, it rained 10 minutes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Summoning the bottle to go talk to my now wife the first time I saw her.

Deciding that putting on the seatbelt in the back seat was a good idea.

Finally deciding that I wanted for Chamnpionship Manager 2 for Christmas and not the Real Madrid jersey I'd had my eye on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

pulled out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Probably deciding to f*ck off to America when there was a whole load of hell going on at home. Had been taking too much of it on my shoulders for years and, while it's unfortunate it took so much for me to crack, a clean break was desperately needed. Feel a lot more capable of being happy now.

An absolutely awful ex forcing me to make the decision of dumping her with her awfulness was also a good one. That was hardly a decision I made though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Dartz

Became an atheist.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 KarimT

Recently quit a very good (according to all around me) job position as a project management in a respectable local IT company with more than double the average of the city kind of pay.

Was not really happy there despite all benefits the company provided.

Now I find myself working with a friend in a very small company while writing a book with another friend, traveling around to the most outlandish of places feeling happy as a bunny in a cabbage field :)

As soon as I kicked the cause of misery in the face, a number of lucrative opportunities to do cool, yet profitable things emerged from the woodwork.

Now, it should be noted I don't give credit to any specific deity but I get the feeling the universe has a way of working things out for us if we make a move in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

:) divorcing mine.

Defo best decision I made - there was no hanging about going through months (or years :eek:) of trying to make it work. Had a problem (kinda major) discussed it and she wasn't budging and made an instant decision. Boom. End of.

Instant weight off my shoulders and whole new lease of life discovered.

Tsk, if there is one thing I hate it's half a story. How long married? Were there any kids involved? What was the problem? What was new lease of life? What did you do that you couldn't with her?
    Yeah I know I'm nosey. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Leaving the banking industry in 2004.

Not leveraging up on investment properties, as some of my friends were doing, in the 2003-2007 period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

caustic 1 wrote: »
    Tsk, if there is one thing I hate it's half a story. How long married? Were there any kids involved? What was the problem? What was new lease of life? What did you do that you couldn't with her?
    Yeah I know I'm nosey. :pac:

hmmmm ...what to say.

together about 6 years (married less than 1)
    1 child
    the problem was her excessive party/hangover cycle and suspected foul play. It started when she'd met a new gang of friends - after we married.
    foul play was denied but let's just say she has remarried to that guy.

New lease of life was more mental than actual things I could or couldn't do.
    But i had a bagful more disposable income , we had joint finances when together but it was a shock to see how much more above her financial contribution she was actually spending . This only became apparant when she was gone.
    Got a new house and decked it out as I wanted - kinda stuff like that.

I did go on holidays on my tod to places I know she wouldn't have liked but I did. I had more craic with my son , we went away a bit together too.
    More time to myself too to follow my own interests.
    Plus I got to meet, date and fornicate with some fab women. I'd a fantastic 4-5 years on that scene till I met who I'm with now.

the bad atmosphere wasn't in my life anymore I wasn't going about pissed off cos she was going on the rip on a fri and then spending the next two days hungover (with the accompanying bad mood) completely ignoring the fact she'd a husband and child.

Essentially I was just a happier person with that person out of my life.
    But I'm forever thankful I called a halt quite soon rather than trying to fix things or hanging on for the sake of the marriage.

I hope all curiosity is satisfied :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Not putting my baby up for adoption

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Not buying anything Hewlett Packard ever.
    Not buying a Sega dreamcast.
    Not buying an actual Atari Jaguar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Going for a few pints with my dad on a Thursday night when I was in crap form and really down cos of some stuff that was going on. I wasn't in the humour to leave the apartment at all.
    It turned out to be the last chance I ever got to have a pint with him as he had an accident a few days later and passed away 10 weeks after it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Going back to college! It was a very wise decision indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Wife stood me up on our first date, listened to a friend talk me into to giving it a second chance.

Her excuse was a mix of laziness and dislike for the suggested venue to meet up.

As a result now happily married and living in the ar3e end of the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

BDJW wrote: »
    Going for a few pints with my dad on a Thursday night when I was in crap form and really down cos of some stuff that was going on. I wasn't in the humour to leave the apartment at all.
    It turned out to be the last chance I ever got to have a pint with him as he had an accident a few days later and passed away 10 weeks after it

This gave me goosebumps. Very sorry for your loss BDJW.

Y'know, I was going to reply with some bullsh1tty "life happens the way it happens" response about how my laughably crap judgement calls and worst decisions ever taken have made me who I am, which is true in ways. I don't tend to dwell.

But on reading this, I actually think it's a conscious decision I made a few years ago when I was living in Canada, my mate's mother passed away very suddenly and he never got over the fact that he had rejected the last incoming call from her a few days previous because he was rushing to a work meeting.

I'd been a bit haphazard with the aul calls/texts/skypes/vibers to my own parents to that point and it was a real wakeup call. Nowadays I call or text my parents every day and have a weekly Skype catch-up with my little sister, regardless of how busy things are. Even if we're sat there staring at each other with absolutely nothing to say, it still connects me to them in a way that makes it that bit easier to sleep at night and I'm glad to have that perspective.

Glad you have that happy memory with your lovely Dad :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Going against my psychologist's advice and getting myself off antidepressants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭caustic 1

hmmmm ...what to say.

together about 6 years (married less than 1)
    1 child
    the problem was her excessive party/hangover cycle and suspected foul play. It started when she'd met a new gang of friends - after we married.
    foul play was denied but let's just say she has remarried to that guy.

New lease of life was more mental than actual things I could or couldn't do.
    But i had a bagful more disposable income , we had joint finances when together but it was a shock to see how much more above her financial contribution she was actually spending . This only became apparant when she was gone.
    Got a new house and decked it out as I wanted - kinda stuff like that.

I did go on holidays on my tod to places I know she wouldn't have liked but I did. I had more craic with my son , we went away a bit together too.
    More time to myself too to follow my own interests.
    Plus I got to meet, date and fornicate with some fab women. I'd a fantastic 4-5 years on that scene till I met who I'm with now.

the bad atmosphere wasn't in my life anymore I wasn't going about pissed off cos she was going on the rip on a fri and then spending the next two days hungover (with the accompanying bad mood) completely ignoring the fact she'd a husband and child.

Essentially I was just a happier person with that person out of my life.
    But I'm forever thankful I called a halt quite soon rather than trying to fix things or hanging on for the sake of the marriage.

I hope all curiosity is satisfied :)

Satisfied thank you for sharing and congratulations not many that brave.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

+1 for divorce, but chasing my second wife for 6 months was definitely the best decision I ever took. I don't think I ever thought twice about any other woman after a knock back. Took my mind off the long drawn out separation/divorce/empty threats of court action if nothing else.

Together 10 years now, married for 4 and have two fantastic children. Arguments are once in a blue moon and never last very long. I've never been this happy for this long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Marrying my wife.

Me too.

Advertisement