Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parlez vous francais?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

From personal experience, starting from scratch, I would equate 3 years of a high standard of school and university study with 3 months living in a country that speaks the relevant language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Un petit pois, Rodders.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Nice ninja edit there fella

Indeed. I would have thought there might be a iittle spring in our step after the 1-1 in Germany and a budget which, whatever one says, wasn't as bad as recent ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Typisch deutsch gebe ich jetzt etwas an: Lingua latina loquo (more or less, and no, I’m not a priest), mon français est acceptable, el español es suficiente, e mia conoscenza della lingua italiana è bastato per ordinare vino. Or whatever.

Drop in a bit of Greek, some Polish and Russian, the odd word and expression in Irish, some Arabic, Turkish and Jiddish words and you have the typical world citizen interested in all sorts of cultures.

Aren‘t languages just a thing of wonder?

The German philosopher Fichte once said that „language is the soul of a people“.

Destroy a people’s language and you destroy their soul. Learn their language and you understand them beyond verbal communication.

The Irish should know it better than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

Oui, je parle francais:

Irlande douze points. Ireland twelve points.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Bom dia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Ik leer nederlands

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I only know Leaving Cert level French. As for Irish, not even LC level.

Being a 'furriner', I am bilingual though. But English is pretty much my mother tongue now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Ou-est le Centre de George Pompidou?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Creative Juices

I loved French at school. I found it much more "interesting" than Irish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement