Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

protest water charges but not property charges??

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

Im another who can't work out why so many people complain about water charges, but getting charged for property you have already paid thousands for is ok

the people protesting last saturday were giving out about many issues from the last few years, lots more than just irish water ;)
    crannglas wrote: »
    Wasn't there protests against property charges over half country wouldn't pay, and they robbed it from their wages etc..

true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

you are correct about the timing, but i will say that everyone i spoke to on Sat were there for the water tax but also you'd hear from everyone about every other little thing that brought them to where they are today, financially broken, come and join the protest even if it's the USC you feel should have brought us on the streets, dont sit on the sideline watching just cos it's water and you're not that bothered about that

But it is about water, thats the thing. I'm happy to pay for a good water service so i wont be protesting, there are other more worthy things to protest if i was going to.

Essentially you're saying protest the water charges even if I don't mind them, due to the timing. I'm not going to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Im another who can't work out why so many people complain about water charges, but getting charged for property you have already paid thousands for is ok

Yes. Stamp duty paid and then a property tax on top of that.

Illegal tax in Europe of VRT on every vehicle.

and on and on. We get nothing for those. At least for water charges, we get water service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭patnor1011

That's right. We should elect a range of independent crack pots at the next election. Maybe that will be better.

Or maybe not.

Well, they are more "connected" with the people compared to the rest who play for their party and do not give fluck about people apart from when they are canvassing.
    Pinch Flat wrote: »

Do you realize that it will take many price increases to fund this development?
    And at the end, it will be just privatised.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

nm wrote: »
    Illegal tax in Europe of VRT on every vehicle.
    Same in both Denmark and the Netherlands, and at a higher rate than here too.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

nm wrote: »
    But it is about water, thats the thing. I'm happy to pay for a good water service so i wont be protesting, there are other more worthy things to protest if i was going to.

Essentially you're saying protest the water charges even if I don't mind them, due to the timing. I'm not going to do that.

no, what i'm saying is people are protesting about the water, they cannot afford to pay this double tax and know well that the bills will keep increasing and it will be sold on. this is it for the protestors, they're not taking it and even though they are now on the streets over the water everything else that's been suppressed the last few years has come bubbling up and people are also out there now over every unfair decision made for us by corrupt politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

Alun wrote: »
    Same in both Denmark and the Netherlands, and at a higher rate than here too.

Ah well, that's alright then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Really glad to see so many people here speaking sense.

I think the people who weren't previously liable for property tax and USC (because they don't own property and don't earn anything) finally have to pay for something and they're the mob, dragging everyone else along with them.

It's a joke that this is only being done now. In this day in age, water really is a privilege and we need to start conserving. People are freaking out thinking they won't be able to shower or flush the toilet but ffs, there are so many ways to recycle water that their outrage is laughable.

Not always doable but start planning ahead:

- Get rid of your power shower
    - Turn off the tap when brushing your teeth (don't know if anyone does this but wtf would you do it anyway??)
    - Replace your flush system with one that allows you to use less per flush. Think it might even be possible to adjust the one you have so it uses less
    - When the dryer needs to be replaced, get a condenser and reuse the water from the clothes to flush
    - Stick a bucket outside and use collected rain water to put in dogs bowl, water the garden
    - Baths don't get you clean, they're a luxury. Re- use bath water to wash dog

That's all completely off the top of my head.

While I do agree that the setting up of IW was done in the spirit of true Cronyism, welcome to the 21st century folks. Metering is the best and fairest way to implement this charge and it is absolutely necessary. They're not even going to charge for children!!!! You can complain about German bullying all you like but why would Ireland be the only country in the civilised continent to not have it??

I would like to see them do away with the USC as a gesture to those working and having so much taken away, however other Member States are also paying a solidarity charge so I think it will be a while yet. Not to mention the Irish rate of tax is still less than it's European counterparts and there's the lower tax rate to entice multinationals still in place...

Advertisement