Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a bigger ripoff than the college gown?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Supply & Demand, young fella. Supply & Demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Because you'll have to cringe looking at a picture of yourself on your parent's wall smugly posing in pennys jeans at your graduation with a big righteous student head on you for the rest of your life.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

JAPAN !!

You don't need to wear gowns to the Kanazawa College of Art graduation.

https://imgur.com/a/6znwh

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

Mine was 45 euro. It is really expensive and it's worse for women cos we have to look decent in dresses and so on. It's killing me having to pay for the whole thing. It is worth it though cos I know when I look back I'll be glad I participated. And what another poster said, like what a degree costs anyway, you may as well finish it off properly. And laugh at the idea that there just so happened to be a gown fitter person on this thread. Oh the irony!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

eternal wrote: »
    Mine was 45 euro. It is really expensive and it's worse for women cos we have to look decent in dresses and so on. It's killing me having to pay for the whole thing. It is worth it though cos I know when I look back I'll be glad I participated. And what another poster said, like what a degree costs anyway, you may as well finish it off properly. And laugh at the idea that there just so happened to be a gown fitter person on this thread. Oh the irony!!!!

I worked for them for 2 years :D Not a fun job! So many college students that could not figure out that the hoods are pinned TO the gown, so to straighten the hood you pull the GOWN forward not the hood. If more students could figure that out I might have been out of a job :P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Laois6556

Who says you have to wear a gown? Just wear your pennies clothes and they have some nice hats on sale for a fiver. You can throw that in the air when the other losers are throwing the stupid looking things. If any of the fellas say anything to you say 'I like the dress tranny' and if any of the girls say anything tell them that they look fat.

rawn wrote: »
    I worked for them for 2 years :D Not a fun job! So many college students that could not figure out that the hoods are pinned TO the gown, so to straighten the hood you pull the GOWN forward not the hood. If more students could figure that out I might have been out of a job :P

I'll keep that in mind. What's the story with the hats, are they very hard to keep on?

Laois6556 wrote: »
    Who says you have to wear a gown? Just wear your pennies clothes and they have some nice hats on sale for a fiver. You can throw that in the air when the other losers are throwing the stupid looking things. If any of the fellas say anything to you say 'I like the dress tranny' and if any of the girls say anything tell them that they look fat.

Very intelligent statement and I also worry as to the wanna be jokes on this thread cos there's nothing funny about working your ass off for something and then being rewarded rightfully.

Very intelligent statement and I also worry as to the wanna be jokes on this thread cos there's nothing funny about working your ass off for something and then being rewarded rightfully.

I didn't mean to offend you. :( It's ok to look like a tranny or I'm sure you're just big boned.

I didn't mean to offend you. :( It's ok to look like a tranny or I'm sure you're just big boned.
    nah, I'm just all boobs, it's cool :D

• Advertisement

nah, I'm just all boobs, it's cool :D

I hope you're a woman, a man that's all boobs isn't a pleasant image.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I was at a graduation in UCD and one of the graduates was wearing a pink gown and hat. The whole fall was laughing when she went up. OP try and find something like that online and lift the mood at the dry graduation

I'll keep that in mind. What's the story with the hats, are they very hard to keep on?

Nah they're grand, we pin them down if they're to loose.

I hope you're a woman, a man that's all boobs isn't a pleasant image.

Last time I checked yeah and if you even read the posts on here, I mentioned dresses and hats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

It's a racket for sure but you'll probably be glad you did wear them when it's all over. Nice pics to look back on.

Definitely a comfort when you're unemployed, sitting in your one-room shack eating mouldy crackers and drinking horrible juice.

*weeps over degree*

rawn wrote: »
    Nah they're grand, we pin them down if they're to loose.
    Do I need to bring the pins with me? Thanks for your reply too btw.

Last time I checked yeah and if you even read the posts on here, I mentioned dresses and hats.

Barely know what I do be posting, nevermind anyone else. I'm sure you have a nice pair of boobs though.

OneArt wrote: »
    Definitely a comfort when you're unemployed, sitting in your one-room shack eating mouldy crackers and drinking horrible juice.

*weeps over degree*

I did that for the whole of my degree ffs, only thing is-I don't like crackers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

Uriel. wrote: »
    85 for mine. Ridiculous

:eek: What college is that??! That's madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I did that for the whole of my degree ffs, only thing is-I don't like crackers.

It's all one can afford though. Except once a month when you can go down the butcher's and get a soggy kidney pie as a treat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

Graduated in the UK, measurements were given to the faculty office in advance. Turned up on the day and was given my gown and hat thingy. Gave them back at the end and it cost me nothing.

OneArt wrote: »
    It's all one can afford though. Except once a month when you can go down the butcher's and get a soggy kidney pie as a treat.
    If you're buying food at the butcher's it should be of better quality than a supermarket therefore why so the sogginess? Or are you totally exaggerating everything to the point where everything seems bad?

Do I need to bring the pins with me? Thanks for your reply too btw.

Nope we have them there, wouldn't hurt to have an extra one or two though!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭gutenberg

Well OP at least you don't have to buy the gown: at my university in the UK, they're used for all sorts of occasions aside from graduation, so we just get told to buy one when we start. New they can be £100+, though there is a secondhand market. On top of that we have to pay to hire the hood for the actual graduation then :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭signostic

Get the gown but do a Patch Adams on the day....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭twinytwo

In ucc anyway you cant get conferred at the ceremony without the gown, so you only option is get it or dont go.

The whole thing is a face

• Registered Users Posts: 18,130 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

What sort of useless waste of time degree did you do that even after graduating you cannot figure out why it costs money to rent an item of clothing?

Advertisement