Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a bigger ripoff than the college gown?

Options
  • 13-10-2014 10:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭

Just been quoted €42 to rent those rags for an hour or two for my DCU graduation.

There's no way those things would come close to costing €42 let alone rent them for an hour.

I just bought a brilliant pair of jeans in Penney's for €6.

Why am I been asked to pay €42 to rent what are essentially rags?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

So you'll have lovely pictures with the family.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

You get them for more than an hour, to be pedantic.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Just been quoted €42 to rent those rags for an hour or two for my DCU graduation.

There's no way those things would come close to costing €42 let alone rent them for an hour.

Because Penney's don't sell graduation gowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

I'm fairly certain that the jeans wouldn't withstand being rented out to a couple hundred people.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Because they know you've no choice so they just name their price. Only option is to not go which is what I actually did coz the whole thing cost so much

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

That's a bit steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Don't bother going to the graduation. They're a load of bol0cks.

It's not like you have to turn up in order to get your degree.

I'm not going to mine.

Why anyone would want to pay to sit through a long drawn-out ceremonial type affair is beyond me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Is there not a clasp at the back of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Don't go and use the money on a piss-up to celebrate. I never went to my masters graduation, sitting in an over-crowded room for hours just to get handed a rolled up piece of paper isn't exactly a trip to disneyland.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Bin liner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

Your DCU degree.

ba-dum-ch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

Water charges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

--LOS-- wrote: »
    Because they know you've no choice so they just name their price. Only option is to not go which is what I actually did coz the whole thing cost so much

This is pretty much it. What else will you do?

I cant wait to deal with this after this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Don't wear the gown. Problem solved.

They are ridiculous looking anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Get your moneys worth. Use them as a napkin/serviette, to dry the dishes with, clean the worktops down and finally, wipe your arse with before you return them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Graduation is a rip off but with mine I knew it meant a lot to my parents so I went along with it. Having to dress up to listen to people pointlessly droning on will be good preparation for employment anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

They have gowns in DCU?

I didn't think that place was a real university. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It's a racket for sure but you'll probably be glad you did wear them when it's all over. Nice pics to look back on.

Buy a black sheet in Harry Corry for under a tenner. Use cardboard from the packaging to make your hat.

Rent out after

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Steep alright. Chances are you're only going to graduate once though so it's a one and done cost at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Tails!

42?? I've to pay 77 for mine :O Jeez

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

It's a racket for sure but you'll probably be glad you did wear them when it's all over. Nice pics to look back on.

I dunno you could also throw on a superhero cape and take a selfie with your degree, might be better than some carbon copy photo memory

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

€80 for mine. Complete rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Tails! wrote: »
    42?? I've to pay 77 for mine :O Jeez

85 for mine. Ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Rip off. Gown.

G'wan. I dare ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Just buy some Gryffindor robes, they're kind of like graduation robes but cooler. Plus when your name is called out, you can go up and shout out " I've finally graduated from Hogwarts, hurrah!" while waving your degree manically. It'll be one to remember, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

It pays to transport the gowns, file them, sort them, store them, and dry clean them. It also pays for the lovely patient people like myself that have to fit them on you's while you dilly-dally around talking on the phone/to your friends/to yourselves while the queue grows longer with impatient students wanting to get it over and done with, as well as pinning, fixing, pinning, refixing, pinning and refixing the hoods on ya's as ya's pull and drag out of them in the time it takes you from putting them on to getting to the photo studio. Believe me, €42 is a flippin' bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭colmufc

Just wear a suit the gowns look ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

In fairness it's only 42 quid. In comparison to the cost of the degree its a bargain. I graduated 3 years ago and the cost of the gown was the least of my worries :) you could skip the graduation but as had been said you'll probably only do it once and it's nice to have the pictures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Do a Robin Williams in Patch Adams and Wear nothing underneath the gown, presenting your ass to the congregation as you collect your parchment

Advertisement