Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT fines

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    (When these new rules come in) what happens if you are stopped while on the way to an nct appointment without a valid test?

By doing it, you are breaking the law the same as if you were driving without NCT anywhere else.

So you might be liable to fine and points if gard decides to fine you.

No there isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

CiniO wrote: »
    By doing it, you are breaking the law the same as if you were driving without NCT anywhere else.

So you might be liable to fine and points if gard decides to fine you.

Where did you happen across this cinio? Have you a link?

Things are gone to sh1te altogether in this country if this is the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

Thanks biko but it doesn't state how much the fine would be, that's what I'm hoping to confirm. It's a tough society we live in at the moment, for those who work but have so many bills to pay. I have a good job, modest wage, but I'm struggling because I pay my mortgage, all my bills, tv licence, etc etc on my own. I don't mean to come across as a whinger, I'm currently trying to change my circumstances so I'm better off financially. My 1999 car failed the NCT the other day on so many different things. It would cost less to buy a new car than fixing it but I don't have enough money to buy a new one. I'm terrified I'll be stopped and get fined 1,000 EURO. I've always had my cars with a valid NCT until now so it's a worry for me. Thanks for the advice guys.

Very true, there are so many people in the same position as you. This will cause a huge increase in black market activity in the motor industry as people scrimp and take short cuts and engage cowboys to carry out vehicle maintenance.

Where did you happen across this cinio? Have you a link?

Well there was as exemption of requirement for having NCT when you were going to prebooked NCT test, but that was long time ago.
    AFAIR this was included in first NCT legislation form 1999.
    Since 2009, new NCT legislation was issued, and this is not the case anymore.

Most up to date law is actually from this year and it states cases where NCT law does not apply (in other words where you can drive without NCT legally).
    Nothing in here about driving for your NCT when having test booked.

(7) Section 18 and these Regulations do not apply to a vehicle—

(a) other than a small public service vehicle, first registered prior to 1 January 1980,

(b) other than a small public service vehicle, which is used solely on an off-shore island,

(c) on the day on which a test certificate in respect of the vehicle had been refused,

(d) in the 24 hour period prior to a test appointment in the case of a vehicle heretofore used solely on an off-shore island attending for a first test provided evidence of the appointment is produced, or

(e) which is owned or operated by the Garda Síochána or the Defence Forces.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2014/en/si/0322.html

Very true, there are so many people in the same position as you. This will cause a huge increase in black market activity in the motor industry as people scrimp and take short cuts and engage cowboys to carry out vehicle maintenance.

Well I don't really understand what the all fuss is about.
    So far for NCT there was mandatory court appearance + 5 penaly points.
    So if from December it's fixed penalty fine of 80 quid + 3 points, so it actually looks like consequences of driving without NCT you can suffer are reduced.

Or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I have been waiting 3 months for a test, 2 weeks more to go,

I was a month early, now 2 months late, thanks to online sys.

Father in law phoned & got one within 3 days,

He said the place was empty, so much for waiting 3 months

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭LordNorbury

CiniO wrote: »
    Well I don't really understand what the all fuss is about.
    So far for NCT there was mandatory court appearance + 5 penaly points.
    So if from December it's fixed penalty fine of 80 quid + 3 points, so it actually looks like consequences of driving without NCT you can suffer are reduced.

Or am I missing something?

Well there was no real enforcement of the previous legislation which saw a driver landed with 5 penalty points & a mandatory court appearance. I've never heard of anyone receiving 5 penalty points for not having a valid NCT disc on their car. If you think about it, if this law had been properly applied, you'd have had absolute uproar with everyone who got 5 penalty points getting onto Joe Duffy claiming that they were on their way to the NCT centre for the retest (which you could reasonably have blagged if it was a small fail like an indicator bulb or something minor where you don't actually need to book your car in for the retest), then you'd have a huge cohort of people who would claim that the NCT customer support people said that their test centre was fully booked up so that a retest wasn't possible until 3 weeks time and "why should my car be off the road because they can't give me a retest date that is sooner and that suits me better, and they can't because they are booked up for weeks in advance?"...

Two things have happened recently that I think indicates that we are very soon going to see a huge crackdown on NCT non-compliance:

(1) Voluntary Early Testing: This will very conveniently do away with the the primary excuse that has always been available when caught without a valid NCT disc, which was that the test centre was booked up for 6 weeks ahead when you rang up to book the test. Now the Garda will simply say to you: "well then you should have rang them much sooner to book your test, you can get the car tested anytime now, it no longer has to be booked in within 90 days of the expiry date of your previous NCT, so that excuse doesn't wash with me, sorry"...

(2) Reduced penalty points (3 instead of 5), & 80 Euro fine: This will in all probability make the idea of being caught without an NCT disc, a bit more fair. If you think about it, under the previous legislation, you could have been caught without an NCT on a Monday, 5 penalty points, and in the same week, say on a Friday, you could be caught at a different checkpoint for the same offence and handed another 5 penalty points. If you already happened to have 2 penalty points for speeding, you've lost your driving license! 3 points is a fairer way to approach it I think, and when people start ringing Joe Duffy to complain, they won't have any basis for complaining if you think about what I've said at (1) above.

As we have all seen, life under this current government has certainly become a lot tougher, they don't give a fúck about ability to pay bills such as property tax or water charges, (in the case of the property tax they will just reach into your pay packet and physically take it from you), and they don't give a fúck if you are not able to afford to keep your car on the road, and this positioning for a major crackdown on NCT non compliance, which is exactly what this is, is just another example of the ongoing hardening of the general attitude towards Irish citizens when it comes to governance. Just think of all the people out there who have gotten very cosy with the total lack of enforcement on NCT compliance, and multiply that number by 80 Euro!!!

As a little exercise today, I'm going to pick 100 cars at total random, parked in a public place, and see if they have a valid NCT cert, and will report back later with the results!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 GanAnim

Call me Al wrote: »
    But that means that your new ncts runs from the earlier testing date for the next 12 months.

You can't get it done three months in advance of your expiry date, to run for 12 months from the original expiry date anymore as far as I know.

ION08 wrote: »
    You can

You can get it done up to 3 months early and the NCT will still run from the original due date, but if you do it more than 3 months early it will run from the new date. I am definitely not an expert but got this from the NCT website:

"Based on your test due date, NCTS can issue your certificate up to 90 days early

Vehicle owners who wish to present their vehicle for inspection earlier than 90 days before their NCT due date will now be allowed to do so.

Where this happens the vehicle will receive a 2 year (or 1 year for 10 year old and older vehicles) certificate duration from the date it passes the test."

So no advantage for most people with booking it earlier than 3 months, but it is worth going for up to 3 months early so as not to get caught-out and to have time to fix things found faulty.

Just booked mine. Mid-December were the earliest dates available in my area (it is not due for me til the end of January).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

RSA at work..... paid fully and totally out of tax payers pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

GanAnim wrote: »
    You can get it done up to 3 months early and the NCT will still run from the original due date, but if you do it more than 3 months early it will run from the new date. I am definitely not an expert but got this from the NCT website:

"Based on your test due date, NCTS can issue your certificate up to 90 days early

Vehicle owners who wish to present their vehicle for inspection earlier than 90 days before their NCT due date will now be allowed to do so.

Where this happens the vehicle will receive a 2 year (or 1 year for 10 year old and older vehicles) certificate duration from the date it passes the test."

So no advantage for most people with booking it earlier than 3 months.

There is one situation where it is advantageous getting the test done earlier than the 3 months: a friend of mine - her car is 05 and the NCT was due to expire on 10 January 2015. Her car would then be 10 years old, so if she did the test within the 3 months, she would have got a one year cert, valid until 10 January 2016. But she did a voluntary test on 4th October and now has a two year NCT cert from that date (until 4th October 2016).

A good trick, didn't know about it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

^^that's what I'm doing...

Poulgorm wrote: »
    There is one situation where it is advantageous getting the test done earlier than the 3 months:

Plenty more than one.

Among others f.e. if you are selling the car and want to advertise it with fresh NCT to make it easier to sell.
    Or if you plan to drive abroad for longer, and your NCT would expire when you are away, now you can do it just right before you leave and have it for full year or two.
    Possibly other advantages as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 GanAnim

Poulgorm wrote: »
    There is one situation where it is advantageous getting the test done earlier than the 3 months: a friend of mine - her car is 05 and the NCT was due to expire on 10 January 2015. Her car would then be 10 years old, so if she did the test within the 3 months, she would have got a one year cert, valid until 10 January 2016. But she did a voluntary test on 4th October and now has a two year NCT cert from that date (until 4th October 2016).

A good trick, didn't know about it before.

Gosh that is a great idea. I must mention this to other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

A further point on these voluntary tests just before the car is classed as 10 years old: You must do the test earlier than the 90 days: if it fails the test and you have to put it through a re-test, the re-test must be done earlier than the 90 days also: so don't cut the date of the test too fine - allow time to get any work done to enable it to pass a possible re-test.

Advertisement