Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT fines

Options
  • 13-10-2014 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi all, I heard that from December 2014 onwards, those without a valid NCT will receive 3 penalty points and a fine of 1,000 EURO. I know the 3 penalty points is correct because I checked online but is it true you could receive a fine of 1,000 EURO? That seems a bit steep surely?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Thats crazy money altogether, 3 points is bad enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭jake is right

I believe it's €80 on the spot, or up to €1,000 in Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Is this is you are stopped without an NCT? Surely cant be if you just have a car sitting in the garden without a valid NCT

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It used be 5 points mandatory court appearance and 1500e fine

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I googled it for you ;)
    http://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/book-early-or-face-a-testing-timelag-30627732.html
    The introduction of a fixed-charge offence attracting three penalty points from early December will create even more pressure from the start of next year.

From early December driving a vehicle without a valid NCT will be dealt with by the gardai at the roadside as a fixed charge offence attracting three penalty points and a fine.

If your vehicle's test is due in January 2015, you should consider booking it in for a test in October. If it's due in February, get it tested in November etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

biko wrote: »

But that means that your new ncts runs from the earlier testing date for the next 12 months.

You can't get it done three months in advance of your expiry date, to run for 12 months from the original expiry date anymore as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Call me Al wrote: »
    But that means that your new ncts runs from the earlier testing date for the next 12 months.

You can't get it done three months in advance of your expiry date, to run for 12 months from the original expiry date anymore as far as I know.

You can

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Problem I see is that we have to work within their flawed system, in the past booking it in a month early was fine in order to get it done on time but now because the system is broke and there are not enough test centers to cover all the bookings we must now book 4 months in advance....Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭beatlesfan3333

Thanks biko but it doesn't state how much the fine would be, that's what I'm hoping to confirm. It's a tough society we live in at the moment, for those who work but have so many bills to pay. I have a good job, modest wage, but I'm struggling because I pay my mortgage, all my bills, tv licence, etc etc on my own. I don't mean to come across as a whinger, I'm currently trying to change my circumstances so I'm better off financially. My 1999 car failed the NCT the other day on so many different things. It would cost less to buy a new car than fixing it but I don't have enough money to buy a new one. I'm terrified I'll be stopped and get fined 1,000 EURO. I've always had my cars with a valid NCT until now so it's a worry for me. Thanks for the advice guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

you've 2 months to sort it out, surely thats enough time?

If theres so many things wrong with it i wouldn't be driving it anyway. Obviously not fit for the roads in its current condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

RossieMan wrote: »
    you've 2 months to sort it out, surely thats enough time?

If theres so many things wrong with it i wouldn't be driving it anyway. Obviously not fit for the roads in its current condition.

How do they have 2 months to sort it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Oh jaysus, my bad. Its early. I was sure that said 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

RossieMan wrote: »
    Oh jaysus, my bad. Its early. I was sure that said 2015.

I'd say the discretion will remain if you are just overdue and are awaiting a test.
    Completely up to the guard in question though!

I'm worried about the state of it too! I drive an hour to work every day. I'm going to get new tyres and the brake pads fixed so I can travel safely. The priority for me is to fix the 'safety' issues first, so it's safe for me to drive. Someone told me that they wouldn't have let me leave the NCT test centre if it was too dangerous to drive but I don't know how true that is.

I do have time to save up and fix the issues but I get paid monthly and with Christmas coming up it won't be easy. I'll get there in the end anyway. From reading your replies, I understand that the first fine I'd get would be approximately 200 euro maximum so that's a weight off my mind, it's better than 1,000 EURO anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

I'm worried about the state of it too! I drive an hour to work every day. I'm going to get new tyres and the brake pads fixed so I can travel safely. The priority for me is to fix the 'safety' issues first, so it's safe for me to drive. Someone told me that they wouldn't have let me leave the NCT test centre if it was too dangerous to drive but I don't know how true that is.

I do have time to save up and fix the issues but I get paid monthly and with Christmas coming up it won't be easy. I'll get there in the end anyway. From reading your replies, I understand that the first fine I'd get would be approximately 200 euro maximum so that's a weight off my mind, it's better than 1,000 EURO anyway!

Look at the Bangernomics thread in the Buying section.

Very often you will see cars of all kinds with 6-12 months NCT for under a grand.

That's fantastic advice Moneymaker, really appreciate it. I was hoping I could find a cheap car to keep me going but wasn't sure where to look. I'll definitely have a look in that section, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Considering the state most Irish people keep their car in and the concept of servicing seen as a waste of money, I can see where they are trying to go with this one.

Last week I mounted new tires on my own car and at the garage they were genuinely shocked about it - they asked me three times if I was sure I wanted all 4 tires, as it was gonna be "mad expensive". It's not to boast or anything, but it's to remark how most people think wallet first, safety second.

But while the intent is good, the form is idiotic. It simply can't be applied with the current NCT system - mine was due on August 31, booked it in July - and got a date in November! As much as people love to argue "ah book it earlier and no problem!", it simply shouldn't be required - we're not talking about a holiday in a luxury hotel here, we're talking about a mandatory test. There shouldn't even be the need for a booking at all.

As simple as it is, the test should be carried in authorized garages where small failure-causing issues can be addressed immediately. It works like this with the MOT, it works in most European countries.

Oh and the test itself has a lot of pitfalls - some of the reasons for failure are completely arbitrary, while some important issues are overlooked (four different tires anyone?).

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Thanks biko but it doesn't state how much the fine would be, that's what I'm hoping to confirm. It's a tough society we live in at the moment, for those who work but have so many bills to pay. I have a good job, modest wage, but I'm struggling because I pay my mortgage, all my bills, tv licence, etc etc on my own. I don't mean to come across as a whinger, I'm currently trying to change my circumstances so I'm better off financially. My 1999 car failed the NCT the other day on so many different things. It would cost less to buy a new car than fixing it but I don't have enough money to buy a new one. I'm terrified I'll be stopped and get fined 1,000 EURO. I've always had my cars with a valid NCT until now so it's a worry for me. Thanks for the advice guys.

Sorry beatlesfan3333 but it's not tough society we live in. Quality of living in Ireland is one of the best ones around the world.
    Especially considering you have a good job and modest wage, there's no excuse to be driving defective car on the roads.
    There's plenty of people around who don't have good jobs and have very poor wages, but somehow they manage to keep their cars roadworthy.

If you can't afford to have your car in roadworthy condition and NCTed, then just don't drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Considering the state most Irish people keep their car in and the concept of servicing seen as a waste of money, I can see where they are trying to go with this one.

Last week I mounted new tires on my own car and at the garage they were genuinely shocked about it - they asked me three times if I was sure I wanted all 4 tires, as it was gonna be "mad expensive". It's not to boast or anything, but it's to remark how most people think wallet first, safety second.

But while the intent is good, the form is idiotic. It simply can't be applied with the current NCT system - mine was due on August 31, booked it in July - and got a date in November! As much as people love to argue "ah book it earlier and no problem!", it simply shouldn't be required - we're not talking about a holiday in a luxury hotel here, we're talking about a mandatory test. There shouldn't even be the need for a booking at all.

As simple as it is, the test should be carried in authorized garages where small failure-causing issues can be addressed immediately. It works like this with the MOT, it works in most European countries.

Oh and the test itself has a lot of pitfalls - some of the reasons for failure are completely arbitrary, while some important issues are overlooked (four different tires anyone?).

My NCT is due April 2015, booked last night for next Monday Oct 20th.

ba dum- tish !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Off the phone now; Naas is booked up for NCTs until the 19th of December. Madness. Got in on a cancellation list though.

I could have a DOE for a Van sorted for the morning if I tried hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

rocky wrote: »
    My NCT is due April 2015, booked last night for next Monday Oct 20th.

ba dum- tish !

Bloody hell, wife's car is due in January, earliest appointment ( 2 days ago) was December 22nd at Ballymun

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Mycroft H wrote: »
    Off the phone now; Naas is booked up for NCTs until the 19th of December. Madness. Got in on a cancellation list though.

I could have a DOE for a Van sorted for the morning if I tried hard enough.

So it was you!!! You took a nice spot I could have used :)

Seriously, it's nuts that people have to book months in advance. It's a requirement, it should be something that can be taken care of within a week at any given point in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Bloody hell, wife's car is due in January, earliest appointment ( 2 days ago) was December 22nd at Ballymun

23:30 ;)

CiniO, I didn't post this question to get negative comments about why I can or cannot afford to make sure my car is roadworthy. Trust me, I can't afford it. I won't go into my wages or my outgoings but for someone in my situation, it is near impossible for me to afford to fix my car or buy a new one. I agree that the quality of living in Ireland is one of the best in the world but for people in my circumstances, it's not easy. I'm not looking for sympathy anyway, just asking a question about the cost of the fine. Judging people who post questions like this is unnecessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

There is also the option of sourcing 2nd hand parts online/breakers yard for the failed components and then negotiating a decent price with a mechanic to get it up to standard for the NCT.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

Hi all, I heard that from December 2014 onwards, those without a valid NCT will receive 3 penalty points and a fine of 1,000 EURO. I know the 3 penalty points is correct because I checked online but is it true you could receive a fine of 1,000 EURO? That seems a bit steep surely?
    can u post the actual link for this....or is this more ****e/pub talk.............

There is no link for this, a friend told me this information...he didn't say where he heard it but he seemed adamant. From reading the replies to this post, I don't think it's true.
    I'm going to apply for a loan of 1,000 euro and try to get a cheap car until I'm better off financially. Thanks for all your comments about this :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

There is no link for this, a friend told me this information...he didn't say where he heard it but he seemed adamant. From reading the replies to this post, I don't think it's true.
    I'm going to apply for a loan of 1,000 euro and try to get a cheap car until I'm better off financially. Thanks for all your comments about this :)

If you are stopped between now and December, it's a mandatory court appearance, a fine of up to €1500 and FIVE penalty points if the cop decides to prosecute you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

(When these new rules come in) what happens if you are stopped while on the way to an nct appointment without a valid test?

Advertisement