Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get the heat on!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

They arent too bad once you figure them out. It would be nice not having to guess how cold tomorrow will be though.
    All you need is a degree in electrical engineering first :)
    Have them myself & hate them

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,749 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the easiest solution is to fit a second dummy thermostat for the 'zone' where herself usually is

you can have it at 18, she can have it at 25, everyone's happy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

I haven't put the heating on yet as such but I've started putting this oil freestanding heater I have on in the living room for the past few days when I'm expecting visitors and to have the room warm for the wee woman coming back from school. It'll be a few weeks yet before I can afford to put oil in the tank so it's blankets for a bit longer but they're still doing the job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Wait till you get the lecky bill for that freestanding oil heater. Used one for a couple of months last Winter in our business until the first ESB bill since buying it came in. Feck me, it ate electricity and single handedly doubled our regular bill amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

That sounds like where I am living now. Gets quite warm in the evenings but there is a problem with the bedroom windows causing the wind to blow through them. Of course the estate agent is slow to deal with it, I could take a family member hostage, ship them part by part and I would run out of parts before they got it fixed.

Feck. :( My last place was a ground floor, terribly insulated apartment and we were robbed with the storage heating.

• Advertisement

Calibos wrote: »
    Wait till you get the lecky bill for that freestanding oil heater. Used one for a couple of months last Winter in our business until the first ESB bill since buying it came in. Feck me, it ate electricity and single handedly doubled our regular bill amount.

I have a prepaid meter thankfully! Its only on a couple of hours a day to keep costs down. It's only temporary until I get oil again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Reiketsu wrote: »
    I have a prepaid meter thankfully! Its only on a couple of hours a day to keep costs down. It's only temporary until I get oil again :)

Thankfully my hat. You are kidding yourself if you think prepay is saving you money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Thankfully my hat. You are kidding yourself if you think prepay is saving you money.

Its much like an electric shower, costs more per unit used but tends to save money in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Its much like an electric shower, costs more per unit used but tends to save money in the long run.

Or like a prepaid phone. It just means you're constantly watching the meter.

Though I had a coin fed meter for heating in a house in college. Of course I'd end up paying for everyone to be warm... 😡

Edit: means you can see the meter and what it means.
    Also, now I know what thie (😡) kind of thing is... It's the angry face emoticon on an iPhone!

I meant that it means I don't run up a big bill I can't pay and can keep an eye on what I have...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,291 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Had a fire down last night and on Sunday, it's mild again today though so no need for it.

No point spending money on fuel when it's not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,135 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Try not to use the heaters, but I do love a fire. Tonight is a fire kinda night!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

I'm kinda odd.I like the house to be warm (i.e. comfortable in a t-shirt) but I love the bedroom being cold. It's really nice when the room is cold and you're all tucked up in a nice warm bed.

Edit: New back went into the fireplace in the sitting room last year. The room gets far too warm now. Lit a few fires over the last few weeks and I've to let them die after about 4 hours unless I want to be driven out of the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭wiseoldelf34

bled the boiler myself for the first time.am listening for a big bang :o
    so far so good anyways

Advertisement