Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Entry Medicine 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Freya30

Thanks Ronivek, hopefully you'll hear something tomorrow, fingers crossed.

The interview is only 10-15minutes , so it says in the email...has anyone gone through UCC interview before..doesn't seem very long, sort of adds little more pressure!

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Pooch88

Anyone know how many spaces UCC have this year and how many they are interviewing ?

Also if u could choose between UCC and RCSI, which would you choose and why?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Pooch88 wrote: »
    Anyone know how many spaces UCC have this year and how many they are interviewing ?

Also if u could choose between UCC and RCSI, which would you choose and why?

Thanks

I take it you received an interview offer for UCC then?

ronivek wrote: »
    I take it you received an interview offer for UCC then?

Yes :) Having good luck this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Oof, nothing here. Now solely banking on RCSI.

• Advertisement

Hey Pooch88, afaik there are 4 places available. Im not sure how many are being interviewed. Ill see ya in cork so :)

Sorry to hear that Healium...are you on the waiting list for rcsi??
    Does anyone know how long after the interviews , UCC let you know of decision? Hope it isn't that long either way but if I am successful, I need to get my ass in gear re accommodation...not much available by the looks of it on daft. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭julie2tubz

Hi Freya

LAst year Im pretty sure they phoned the successful candidates the next morning. The unsuccessful ones didnt hear as far as I remember.

Has anyone heard from UCD?

Nothing from UCD.

Really frustrating that it takes so long; it doesn't give people much time to arrange accommodation or all the various other things that might be required before starting a 5/6 year degree.

Yeah very late. Last year I heard on 11th June and interview was on 1st of July.

And some people have received letters already and others have heard nothing? seems to be done differently this year?!

Dying to know who will be coming to UCD this year.

• Advertisement

Yeah it seems like they have a HPAT cutoff this year of 169; so anyone with less than that were sent a letter and the rest were forwarded on to the Medicine department.

I'm not very hopeful anymore; it seems like they don't care as much about HPAT either :(

God I hated the waiting to find out. Its such hard work. I was an emotional wreck.

But ill cross my fingers and toes for you!!!

julie2tubz wrote: »
    God I hated the waiting to find out. Its such hard work. I was an emotional wreck.

But ill cross my fingers and toes for you!!!

Please do; I think I'll need it!

Hi Freya

LAst year Im pretty sure they phoned the successful candidates the next morning. The unsuccessful ones didnt hear as far as I remember.

Has anyone heard from UCD?

thanks julie2tubz!hopefully they will ler us know within day ir two! Did u apply to ucc last year also?

Freya30 wrote: »
    thanks julie2tubz!hopefully they will ler us know within day ir two! Did u apply to ucc last year also?

Yeah I applied everywhere last year. Got 3 interviews. Galway, cork and Ucd. It was my 2nd year applying and just got into Ucd in the end after a very huge nerve racking wait. Got nothing the year before.

When are the cork interviews?

Yeah I applied everywhere last year. Got 3 interviews. Galway, cork and Ucd. It was my 2nd year applying and just got into Ucd in the end after a very huge nerve racking wait. Got nothing the year before.

When are the cork interviews?

The interviews are on monday!..mine is in the afternoon so its not too bad coming from dublin. Do u have any advice for the ucc interviews...its quite short so not sure how much they can cram into 15mins!!

MAke sure to study their curriculum for medicine in UCC and know the lecturers names etc. That is a BIG one. And that you can do an elective. Maybe have a look through and think of things you might like to do from the electives.

They think very highly of that and ask you all about it. Also just learn as much about UCC in general and how it caters to mature students etc.

Be sure to have an understanding of what a doctor as a profession/professional is or entails.

Also ensure you have a good answer on why you want to do medicine. Have it thought out well.

They will also ask about your finances, have that answered covered also.

And maybe finally bring in something about your hobbies. I think that about sums it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Caolan

Hey Guys-

Haven't been on in a bit- quick couple of questions for a few. For those offered places in RCSI, what's the cut off for acceptance? (Just wondering as I'm on wait list and wondering when they might start second round offers)

Also- does anyone know what the cut off date for those applying for grad entry medicine is (as in what date are offers made/must be accepted by?)

Thanks in advance for any info and good luck to everyone in Cork.

Thanks a mill for that Julie2tubz :)

Caolan: Not too sure about second round offers, hopefully not to long for you, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jody24

Katdrama wrote: »
    They told me early this week, I was a bit like Will Smith in the last scene of the Pursuit of Happiness, then had to reign it in with a reality check -No guarantees! Caolan gets RCSI, you get UCD & I get NUIG, Jody gets TCD, and we're on our way

I got the TCD offer today. extremely happy with it :)

so my rcsi place shud be available for caolan, if he is first in waiting list and hopefully things work out as stated in ur quote.

as for rcsi, the deadline was middle june. i know a lot of ppl probably has accepted it initially but then when cao offers come they will reject it as they might be waiting for offer from some where else or getting place from another college like my self :)
    hope things work out for us all. i wud be much more delighted if we all that been talking on board for a while get places and kick start! med next september

• Advertisement

jody24 wrote: »

so my rcsi place shud be available for caolan, if he is first in waiting list and hopefully things work out as stated in ur quote.

as for rcsi, the deadline was middle june. i know a lot of ppl probably has accepted it initially but then when cao offers come they will reject it as they might be waiting for offer from some where else or getting place from another college like my self :)
    hope things work out for us all. i wud be much more delighted if we all that been talking on board for a while get places and kick start! med next september

Congrats Jody!

UCD rejection letters in the post box for the shortlisted applicants :(

At least they give you reasonable feedback and I've no complaints.

Still delighted to have a place in NUIG come sept, and who knows how the LC results and RCSI shortlist will pan out.

It's a nice feeling that my mature medicine interviews & HPAT stresses are over and whatever happens from here happens....

Good luck to everyone else, I sincerely hope everyone of you get what you want

For anyone who wasn't lucky this year, don't give up, the majority of successful applicants have done this more than once.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Katdrama

jody24 wrote: »

Congrats Jody! :)
    Lol, I can dream can't I! There's rather a lot on the RCSI wait list, hope Caolan's near the top and/or the points don't rise too much - I'm a living pretzel. Boards has been great, just knowing there's a bunch of people in the same or similar boat - camaraderie! Enjoy TCD - it's beautiful!

Congrats Jody! :)
    Lol, I can dream can't I! There's rather a lot on the RCSI wait list, hope Caolan's near the top and/or the points don't rise too much - I'm a living pretzel. Boards has been great, just knowing there's a bunch of people in the same or similar boat - camaraderie! Enjoy TCD - it's beautiful!

How many are on the waitlist? I was hoping it was only going to be 6 or 7 people...

I work for a large NHS Trust in the UK, which also has a big university building on site for medical students - I am getting ridiculously jealous of seeing med students every day as I walk around the hospital. Fingers crossed for RCSI

Just to echo Caolan, if it's what you really want don't give up -took me a few goes to get the place!

Congrats Jody!

Is anyone who got rcsi goin for the UCC interview ?

Which would ye prefer ?

Congrats jody!

I received a rejection from UCD because I already have a degree. Even though it's a level 7 degree and thus I'm not eligible to apply for graduate Medicine. I can't decide if I'm furious or upset... I genuinely have no other avenue into Medicine and to be told I'm ineligible due to a technicality (an incorrect one also) is just...

ronivek wrote: »
    Congrats jody!

I received a rejection from UCD because I already have a degree. Even though it's a level 7 degree and thus I'm not eligible to apply for graduate Medicine. I can't decide if I'm furious or upset... I genuinely have no other avenue into Medicine and to be told I'm ineligible due to a technicality (an incorrect one also) is just...

Sorry to hear that Ron, it does pose questions about what the hpat means. Each institute has their own minimum criteria, it is worth your while contacting some of the colleges for feedback, from what I hear they are usually generous enough with their time.

I think i mentioned the ucd science access course, RCSI definitly take this intl consideration for people applying. Maybe it may be worth looking at?

The mature route is criminally cruel on applicants. Most enjoying success this year felt the pain last year (or numerous times). If it's definitly what you want, research all pathways and try to get your submission to satisfy. I'll happily share my personal statement and references if you wish, just send me your e mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Katdrama

Healium wrote: »
    How many are on the waitlist? I was hoping it was only going to be 6 or 7 people...

I work for a large NHS Trust in the UK, which also has a big university building on site for medical students - I am getting ridiculously jealous of seeing med students every day as I walk around the hospital. Fingers crossed for RCSI

I think it's 25 on the waitlist for RCSI, bc they interview around 40 & offer to 15, I don't know for sure tho ???

I know how you feel, I get like that whenever I walk thru the Clinical Science Institute here!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jody24

thanks all for congrats. i am sorry to hear that things hasnt got that well for ronivek so far.
    hopefully it works out a way or other for every one. if some one doesnt get a place and its only his/her first attempt they shudnt really be upset, instead go and ask for feedback, this way u get feedback and get to know ppl too!!! and trust me they ll remember u for next attempt. work experience and voluntary work important. specially recent ones!!
    hpat is total bull**** for dublin unis. i have the lowest ever hpat one can imagine but not gonna say it!!! in the interview all i did just making the interviewers laugh with jokes about my life and how i got to know medicine and interested in medicine. dont be afraid at all! do say u really want it and if u have interest from child hood its even much better but u shud say how this interested has evolved with u and u worked to get closer and closer to it. any way
    my last couple of sentence is i tried in the last three years to get into medicine. first year i tried graduate entry and got only 51 and thanks god i am not that genius to study med in 4 years. last year i tried mature entry but lacked recent experience and when i got my feedback i worked on my weaknesses and applied this year. i got rcsi and was first in tcd waiting list. i got tcd offer yesterday and i am delighted with and definitely going to take that one. rcsi too much money for me shop packer!!! good luck all and i wud happily help if any one ask for help/advice.
    good luck all

I think it's 25 on the waitlist for RCSI, bc they interview around 40 & offer to 15, I don't know for sure tho ???

I know how you feel, I get like that whenever I walk thru the Clinical Science Institute here!
    There were 39 interviewed, and some people got a definitive no, so it won't be 24

• Advertisement

They clarified the reason they rejected my application and I'm even more furious right now if that's even possible.

I won't go into details or vent here because it's not going to be of any help to anyone.

Suffice it to say anyone who is hoping to get into UCD Medicine as a mature student; don't bother. Put them on your CAO just in case you get lucky but their standards are a mixture of ridiculously high and entirely arbitrary.

Advertisement