Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum Meetup - November 8th - 8:30pm JW Sweetmans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I don't have hair ;-)

:0

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Aard wrote: »
    Question, is Sweetman's loud? I've been before but think it was early enough and not packed. I literally can't hear people talking in packed noisy bars...

I hate noisy bars too. I think sweetmans can be a bit noisyish cause they have wooden floors and no carpet but I could be wrong.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I hate noisy bars too. I think sweetmans can be a bit noisyish cause they have wooden floors and no carpet but I could be wrong.

It's only a problem if there's a band in.

If people meet early enough it may not be such a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Ash885

For the last few ones there's little alcoves in Sweetman's which were great for reducing noise and making it an easy meeting point. If it's too busy or not suited we can also just update this thread and motor on somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Looking forward now.. Any advice on accommodation looking very costly that night

• Advertisement

Looking forward now.. Any advice on accommodation looking very costly that night

Did you try airbnb?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Generator Hostel in Smithfield is decent. I would recommend it.

Usually Generator in Smithfield asks you to stay more than two nights at the weekend. Shame, it was really a solid place.

Recently I've been using B&Bs to stay up in Dublin. If you google some listings, there should be a good few out. They work out cheaper anyway because of the brekkie included and some of the ones are pretty stellar services!

All you're looking for is a place to rest the head for a few hours, I'd try not to spend too much big bucks on it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Use your vote

Try the hostelworld website. Unfortunately there is big demand for Saturday nights in Dublin so try and book well in advance if possible.

Let me know when there is a final decision when and where and I will edit the thread title.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

I would love to go to this as I very rarely if ever get to interact with fellow people on the LBGT spectrum.
    I know a lot of Boards Beers take place at Sweetmans but it's a good spot with a very centralised location and hey, cheap craft beer on tap!
    Regarding the noise issues, I've only been in it up to about 10:30pm in the few instances I've been to Beers (I live outside Dublin City Centre and generally am plagued by overly protective parents who insist I come home at a reasonable hour...), the sound level isn't too bad.
    I find the alcoves to be quite cosy and grand for intimate chit-chats. I would also recommend the basement level as it seems to be the least noisy but it's entirely up to what prevails as the most requested venue.
    Just my two cents. :)

Will we say the 8th for defo. then so people can get their skates on to book hotels and/or work off?

Venue can always be easily changed but I'd say general acceptance for Sweetmans.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 babysock88

I'm on for this...sounds good! So how many people are going? Any women? Not that it is very important but just wondering if I'll be the token girl ( :! I'm 26 as well incase any o' ye needed to know ( :!

Well we'll start a list and sure see how it goes from there.

1. babysock88
    2. Ash885

Add to the list as needs be. I think all the girls in the past were afraid to be the only token girl, and then none ended up coming. But some brave soul or two came, they'd all be united. We'd all be united. We're all one big old gay family after all. But regardless of it though, come along it should be a laugh and a half :)

1. babysock88
    2. Ash885
    3. Joeytheparrot

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 19 newbie90

1. babysock88
    2. Ash885
    3. Joeytheparrot
    4. newbie90

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lyinghere

Was tempted to go to one of these for old time sake, unfortunately I've plans that day. Maybe those plans will get cancelled between now and then but for now I'll say good luck and I hope it goes ahead. Seems to be a bit of momentum building for this one which is great. I really enjoyed these when I first went almost TWO YEARS AGO now! It was a really big help and I'm genuinely not 100% sure where I would be now in the whole coming out process if I had not went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

1. babysock88
    2. Ash885
    3. Joeytheparrot
    4. newbie90
    5. Cydoniac

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lucasmaximus

1. babysock88
    2. Ash885
    3. Joeytheparrot
    4. newbie90
    5. Cydoniac
    6. lucasmaximus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

1. babysock88
    2. Ash885
    3. Joeytheparrot
    4. newbie90
    5. Cydoniac
    6. lucasmaximus
    7. Daith

• Advertisement

1. babysock88
    2. Ash885
    3. Joeytheparrot
    4. newbie90
    5. Cydoniac
    6. lucasmaximus
    7. Daith
    8. BonnieSituation

Oh this is exciting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭unfortunately

1. babysock88
    2. Ash885
    3. Joeytheparrot
    4. newbie90
    5. Cydoniac
    6. lucasmaximus
    7. Daith
    8. BonnieSituation
    9. unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 7 AdoptedDub22

1. babysock88
    2. Ash885
    3. Joeytheparrot
    4. newbie90
    5. Cydoniac
    6. lucasmaximus
    7. Daith
    8. BonnieSituation
    9. unfortunately
    10.AdoptedDub22 - 1st timer! Count me in :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Glad to see these meet ups are still happening and going strong. I would be joining you if I was still living in Ireland. Do give these meet ups a thought guys and girls :)

Well hopefully all 10 of us show.

I've got a friend or two who said if they're free they'll pop along too so there may even be more.

Better start with making some party favours eh haha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Add me to this list! As far as I'm aware, I've no plans for that night and I haven't had a decent night out in ages.

McChubbin wrote: »
    Add me to this list! As far as I'm aware, I've no plans for that night and I haven't had a decent night out in ages.

1. babysock88
    2. Ash885
    3. Joeytheparrot
    4. newbie90
    5. Cydoniac
    6. lucasmaximus
    7. Daith
    8. BonnieSituation
    9. unfortunately
    10. AdoptedDub22
    11. McChubbin

+ Ash's 2 mates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 babysock88

Starting to shape up nicely folks...looking forward to meeting everyone ( :!

Advertisement