Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed modifications to Threadneedle Road

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

That no right turn from Taylors Hill to Bishop OD is badly needed. One car turning right can leave Taylors Hill at a standstill, and even then, the right turners usually have to break the red light to continue the turn (often through a pedestrian crossing).
    Im not so sure about the right turn from Kingston to Threadneedle though. The way it is now, often if a car is turning onto Threadneedle from Kingston, the cars behind it will go around it, by using the left hand filter lane. Why not make that manoeuvre legal, by switching the filter lane to the right, and the left turn and straight through lane to the left?
    Also installing a green filter lane for right hand turns from Threadneedle to Taylors Hill, maybe with a standing box in the middle of the junction for those waiting to turn from Threadneedle to Taylors, so those behind them can proceed left or straight on, until the traffic from Bishop OD has a green filter to turn onto Kingston, as suggested above.

That way, only one manoeuvre is prohibited - and, as far as I can see, its the one that causes most backup - that going from Taylors Hill to Bishop OD Rd.

Or have I totally missed something?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

galah wrote: »
    What's to stop people from still attempting the right hand turn? Genuine question as people here generally don't seem to give a flying fig about the rules of the road or traffic signals....

Snipers.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭buzz11

New traffic lights installed late last week, the turning filter lights are clearly visible now.

No right turn from Kingston and from Taylors hill but left turn from Kingston and right turn from BOD still continues as before (with filters)

Today is the first day of the "ban" trial.

Meanwhile the cycling lane (up the hill only) is still not identified with paint
    and
    the pedestrian lights at the shop/school are still not turned on.

These works started last December and are still incomplete.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Any reports on how the traffic was this morning with the new setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

buzz11 wrote: »
    New traffic lights installed late last week, the turning filter lights are clearly visible now.

No right turn from Kingston and from Taylors hill but left turn from Kingston and right turn from BOD still continues as before (with filters)

Today is the first day of the "ban" trial.

Meanwhile the cycling lane (up the hill only) is still not identified with paint
    and
    the pedestrian lights at the shop/school are still not turned on.

These works started last December and are still incomplete.

This morning cars coming from Kingston were happily ignoring the right turn ban, as expected...

The traffic lights at the shop are badly needed. It does my head in that most drivers are ignoring the pedestrian crossing. I think that at the moment Threadneedle Rd is more dangerous than it was before the "improvements".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Drivers travelling up Taylor's Hill this afternoon were also happily ignoring the giant "No Right Turn" sign. A helpful pedestrian pointed out the signs to the woman in the car in front of me (who was indicating to turn right). It took him a while to get through to her, but in the end she didn't turn right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Was pretty good at 5 o'clock in comparison to before they brought it in. No right turners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Eeden wrote: »
    Drivers travelling up Taylor's Hill this afternoon were also happily ignoring the giant "No Right Turn" sign. A helpful pedestrian pointed out the signs to the woman in the car in front of me (who was indicating to turn right). It took him a while to get through to her, but in the end she didn't turn right.

"helpful"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

"helpful"

Trust me, there's an awful lot of drivers around town who could do with a bit of help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Asmodean wrote: »
    Trust me, there's an awful lot of drivers around town who could do with a bit of help.

Think we could have the understatement of the year here.

went though the lights at lunch time. Doesnt seem to be any major problems with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Made my first pass through coming up from Taylor's Hill. Stuck behind a-holes turning right, as usual. Big flashing NO RIGHT TURN sign not obvious enough it seems. In fairness, the signs should be attached to the lights but I missed them if they were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Made my first pass through coming up from Taylor's Hill. Stuck behind a-holes turning right, as usual. Big flashing NO RIGHT TURN sign not obvious enough it seems. In fairness, the signs should be attached to the lights but I missed them if they were there.

Even if there were no signs, the fact that the green traffic light now has arrows pointing straight and left only should be a dead giveaway. But some people can neither read nor correctly interpret symbols. Perhaps they shouldn't be on the road at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It might take a while for someone who has turned right there for years to change their ways. There's also plenty of people that don't give a ****.

Station a couple Garda there during rush hour and pull offenders in to give them a verbal warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I was thinking it needs something like this:
    2PWcQtY.jpg?1

I agree it will take a long time for people to take heed and certain types will probably thumb their noses at it until enforced.

Advertisement