Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soylent

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

^^^^^^^

QED.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

How do you deal with the issue of food volume though, are you not hungry?? And I can't imagine what it does to your digestive system, is it not ehh all coming out as liquidy as it goes in :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

€6.25 a day?! Complan would work out cheaper I'd imagine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

--LOS-- wrote: »
    How do you deal with the issue of food volume though, are you not hungry?? And I can't imagine what it does to your digestive system, is it not ehh all coming out as liquidy as it goes in :/

Ah no,sure its cool to soyl yourself on the opposite end when you use soylent.

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    €6.25 a day?! Complan would work out cheaper I'd imagine.

Ick I used to forced to drink that stuff as a child and weird tonics, I think my grandmother was obsessed with trying to fatten me up
    Ah no,sure its cool to soyl yourself on the opposite end when you use soylent.

why spend all that time cooking and preparing food when you could be on the toilet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Does a glass of water come out as liquidy as it goes in? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Con stip ation. Your insides would be like an abattoir.

Does a glass of water come out as liquidy as it goes in? :)

depends what else you're eating obviously

It's better to eat fruits and veggies without juicing them because you need the fibre for your digestion, regardless of what nutrients you're getting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Powdered water.

Just add water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

The scoops are coming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

I prefer suckling long-pork myself. Johnathan Swift was right!

On a more serious note, how long before some joyless spanner insists on making soylent mandatory food for those on the dole?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

To be honest, I think having a packet of this stuff in the house would be fantastic, if only so there'd always be a backup option on hand if you forgot to buy dinner or whatever. Would definitely expect to be paying less than they're charging though, I operate way below those figures.

Seems like it could be fantastic for festivals, if nothing else!

Sure a few packets of pasta and jars of sauce in the cupboard and some frozen veggies or garlic bread in the freezer is a backup option if you don't have anything fresh in for dinner. No need to resort to this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Sure a few packets of pasta and jars of sauce in the cupboard and some frozen veggies or garlic bread in the freezer is a backup option if you don't have anything fresh in for dinner. No need to resort to this

I'd be more inclined to use it if there was a power outage or something along those lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

No, there's quite a lot of fibre in it so your shyte is fairly normal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Does anyone remember complan from the 70s80s . I never tried it but remember the tv ads ... There's also something like it used in geriatric wards...
    So maybe you could get to like tasteless goop before you become senile ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

No, there's quite a lot of fibre in it so your shyte is fairly normal

good to know :P

are you using it as a diet tool though or do you plan to stay on it longterm?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Aren't there loads of these liquid diets about?
    Is the difference here marketing and what they used to do back in the sixties,ie blind people with science?
    Look at our science nerd sitting in a concrete foyer

good to know :P

are you using it as a diet tool though or do you plan to stay on it longterm?

I'm using it during college because it's quick easy and cheap to make, a well as healthy

kneemos wrote: »
    Aren't there loads of these liquid diets about?
    Is the difference here marketing and what they used to do back in the sixties,ie blind people with science?
    Look at our science nerd sitting in a concrete foyer

Most of them are geared towards dieting and weight loss, and or very expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

So this is how the Zombie Apocalypse starts?

Nice to finally know.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

A person in my work eats it, another few have tried it. It'll be comeptely vegan soon too. (Only the fish oil isn't atm)

The only problem I have with it is it goes by RDA, which is not sufficient imo. Often you should have more than the RDA, RDA is basically a minimum to survive assuming a 50% absorption of the nutrients. Often you can absorb far less than 50% such as with B12. I'd want it to be over the minimum. Apart from that I din't see a problem, they don't seem hungry, say it tastes fine and gives them good energy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

I hate every ape I see... from chimpan-A... to chimpanzee.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 _asdfghjkl_

€6.25 a day but presumably a major advantage is the time and effort save from not having to shop and cook. Opportunity cost etc

Advertisement