Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soylent

Options
  • 11-10-2014 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭

Basically, this guy, Robert Rhineheart, has developed a powdered form of food. Just add water, blend, and you have your food for the day. 100% of all the nutrients you need for the day.

I thought it was a very interesting idea when I first read about it.

It has a full diy community full of recipes which allow you to make it yourself with shop bought ingredients.

It also has a very active subreddit.

I have been using a recipe from the diy site, and it's been working quite well for me. It cost me around €250 for 40 days worth, which works out at around €6.25 per day. A lot of the ingredients I bought will last over 80 days, so I will only need half the ingredients for the next 40 days.

I'll upload some pictures in a while.

What are your opinions on it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

:eek:

You do know what it in its green form contains don't you...?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Pyramid scheme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

In other news, the apes have built a life-size replica of the Statue of Liberty for no apparent reason.

It'd be great for famines but the way things are now in this country, seems a bit dull.
    Although might be good as a kickstarter for people who need to lose a huge amount of weight, or people who aren't bothered with food as anything more than fuel/sustenance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Fcuking hell. Talk about Frankenstein Foods. Nobody should allow engineers anywhere near food.

What an appalling product. I hope I'm 150 years old, toothless and dead before I'd ever have to consider slurping back that beige joyless gloop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I think it's a great idea. A lot of people don't have the time to prepare healthy meals and end up eating crappy foods as a result. Not to mention the amount of money that could be saved. If it's not your thing, here's the beauty of it - you're not actually forced at gunpoint to buy the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If you're going to buy the ingredients to make Soylent why not just eat the ingredients?or is that a stupid question?

Perhaps they could use it in gulags and internment camps, to nutritiously break the spirits of all and sundry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I can't imagine you'ld enjoy eating that for any length of time.

I have heard of people who've lost their sense of taste basically becoming anorexic because there is no pleasure in eating anymore. That could happen with this product, if it was all you had to eat.

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    If you're going to buy the ingredients to make Soylent why not just eat the ingredients?or is that a stupid question?

Sure, why do that when some bright eyed engineer can show how to liquidise it into a bland but healthy paste?

It would be perfect for people with no teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Reminds me of the protein bars in Snowpiercer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Chance The Fapper

kneemos wrote: »

Some of them wouldn't taste pleasant at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Macavity. wrote: »
    If it's not your thing, here's the beauty of it - you're not actually forced at gunpoint to buy the product.
    We know that. Why do people have to use this line? It's pointless. Basically means "Stop discussing".

We know that. Why do people have to use this line? It's pointless. Basically means "Stop discussing".

It counteracts ridiculous criticisms like:
    Fcuking hell. Talk about Frankenstein Foods. Nobody should allow engineers anywhere near food.

What an appalling product. I hope I'm 150 years old, toothless and dead before I'd ever have to consider slurping back that beige joyless gloop.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Basically, this guy, Robert Rhineheart, has developed a powdered form of food. Just add water, blend, and you have your food for the day. 100% of all the nutrients you need for the day.

I thought it was a very interesting idea when I first read about it.

It has a full diy community full of recipes which allow you to make it yourself with shop bought ingredients.

It also has a very active subreddit.

I have been using a recipe from the diy site, and it's been working quite well for me. It cost me around €250 for 40 days worth, which works out at around €6.25 per day. A lot of the ingredients I bought will last over 80 days, so I will only need half the ingredients for the next 40 days.

I'll upload some pictures in a while.

What are your opinions on it?

You could eat quite healthily for €6.25 if you spend your cash on fresh fruit and vegetables and at that you'd have enough for meat.

It's crazy to see how unsavy some people are when it comes to eating well on a budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

To be honest, I think having a packet of this stuff in the house would be fantastic, if only so there'd always be a backup option on hand if you forgot to buy dinner or whatever. Would definitely expect to be paying less than they're charging though, I operate way below those figures.

Seems like it could be fantastic for festivals, if nothing else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

It counteracts ridiculous criticisms like:
    No it doesn't? The criticism still pretty much stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Nowhere is it said that its bland or tasteless. I would be quite happy to try it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Nowhere is it said that its bland or tasteless. I would be quite happy to try it
    The problem I would have with the idea is that it's unvaried. Even your favourite meal would get boring pretty quick if that's all you ate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

That's all well and good but would you not be very very hungry from just having a liquid diet?

I make my own mass gainer shakes with ground oats, whey protein, creatine and blended fruit and veg which amounts to over 1000 calories per shake and although it fills me and is a great way to get my macros in, I am still hungry for "proper" food in a short while.

I think more people should definitely be drinking shakes to get in their food. Homemade fruit and veggie shakes are great and efficient but I still can't imagine how Soylent would fill you for a day...getting in your macros and micros is pretty easy but staying full is a different issue for me.

Very intriguing idea/product though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The problem I would have with the idea is that it's unvaried. Even your favourite meal would get boring pretty quick if that's all you ate.

True, their own site says people normally use it for 2 meals or less a day, and I'm sure it could be flavored too?

True, their own site says people normally use it for 2 meals or less a day, and I'm sure it could be flavored too?

A lot of the diy recipes come in different flavors . The one I'm using at the moment is vanilla, but I am planning on using chocolate flavor next month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It sounds like an improvement on my cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Spoken like a person who clearly hasn't tried living on kebabs for any significant length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Food for hipsters. A joyless life.

Food for hipsters. A joyless life.
    Thought hipsters were into the "foodie" craze?

People really need to make up their mind as to what that term means.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Thought hipsters were into the "foodie" craze?

People really need to make up their mind as to what that term means.

Frankly, it means whatever I want it to mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Advertisement