Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex girlfriend stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,780 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Put it this way do you see yourself having that stuff if you buy a house with her and get married have kids.

Or are you being irrationally sentimental.

Its probably time to move on otherwise they wouldn't be exes.

Its fine to keep Memories but letters and cards from exes.

Really????

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Smug much?

I suppose Playstations don't have that many relationship issues, to be fair.

Dick much?

I suppose adverts/friends don't have many relationship issues, to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

listermint wrote: »
    Put it this way do you see yourself having that stuff if you buy a house with her and get married have kids.

Or are you being irrationally sentimental.

Its probably time to move on otherwise they wouldn't be exes.

Its fine to keep Memories but letters and cards from exes.

Really????

You're probably right. I'll have a quick look through and see if there's anything valuable then chuck them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

F1ngers wrote: »
    Dick much?

I suppose adverts/friends don't have many relationship issues, to be fair.

Bleh.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

Put it all in a big box marked 'private'. If your girlfriend respects your privacy, no problem. If she doesn't, you need a new girlfriend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Vikings Funeral....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Miss_Caprice

Put it all in a big box marked 'private'. If your girlfriend respects your privacy, no problem. If she doesn't, you need a new girlfriend.

Oh come on, if I found a box marked "private" in my home it would be opened and the contents thoroughly inspected within 10 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

Stab her.

.....with your pork sword and give her one for all of us here on Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

Women don't work like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

May as well put a sign with "Open Now" on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Angry_Mammarys

I dunno, like is it an ego trip when you open the box and have a look through ? cause it seems a bit mad to keep all that if you're moving in with your current gf, like surely ya don't need to look back on all that if you're happy with her?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Miss_Caprice

I dunno, like is it an ego trip when you open the box and have a look through ? cause it seems a bit mad to keep all that if you're moving in with your current gf, like surely ya don't need to look back on all that if you're happy with her?

It's not an ego trip to look back on fond memories of a previous relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Angry_Mammarys

It's not an ego trip to look back on fond memories of a previous relationship.

I was asking if it was, I never stated it was... I just think it's weird, maybe I'm not as sentimental:(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Any thoughts on what I should do? What do yous do with the stuff left over from girlfriends past?
    Rent a small storage locker. Hide the key to the storage locker at your parents so the new gf doesn't find it. Also handy for storing presents in.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭blackwave

Just take a leaf out of this guys book, in the flame!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

bluewolf wrote: »
    hi bbz
    tnkin of u. lol. luv xxx

nutin wil rplac the lolz we shrd bbz..luv u 4eva

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Put it in a box marked "Ebola inside"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

What would you do if you found a load of memento's of your birds ex-fellas?

I say burn the stuff. Why keep memento's of some yoke who fcuked off on ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

As an absurdly sentimental person, I've kept things from just about every friendship I've had, let alone relationship. The people you meet through life are going to play some part in forging who you currently are, there's nothing wrong with acknowledging it

...but when you've got absolutely tons you're likely just assuming a lot of it is more important to you than it really is and it's stemming from a hoarder mentality more than anything else. I think your main issue really is that you need to be more selective about which things to keep from the get go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

Hide everything under your pillow so when you go to bed it feels like you have a selection of girl friends

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭Lalealynn

So this week I'm taking the plunge and moving in with my girlfriend.

The problem is that I have shoeboxes of stuff from previous girlfriends, all the mementos, letters, cinema tickets etc. and I don't know what to do with it.

In fairness, I want to keep it, cause some of the memories in those boxes are really good, but on the other hand I'm sure my gf would go mental if she found this hoard in our new place.

Any thoughts on what I should do? What do yous do with the stuff left over from girlfriends past?

If it's not actual gifts like a book or tie or watch etc then just let it go :) Room for new memories!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Stab her.

I take it you're from the Stabby McHobo school of thought concerning relationships?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I have some stuff from exes, which my boyfriend is cool about. He doesn't, but I'd be cool with him keeping things like letters/gifts/photos.

Things like cinema tickets, I'd be weirded out by. I understand letters and photos having fond memories, but cinema tickets? 'That night we went to see The Guard was amazing, have to keep the ticket?' I don't get that. Buy a copy of the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Neatly catalogue everything you have, placing the stuff for each ex into individual boxes with their names and dates of the relationship on the outside.

Then show it all to your gf, before showing her a box with her name on it. The box, of course, should be empty but the date the relationship started should be on the outside (I can't stress how important it is to get that date right!).

This will show her how organised you are and how, unlike most guys, you think about the future!

........or just keep the really important stuff in a box marked 'PS4 games' or something and dump the rest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Jawgap wrote: »
    Neatly catalogue everything you have, placing the stuff for each ex into individual boxes with their names and dates of the relationship on the outside.

Then show it all to your gf, before showing her a box with her name on it. The box, of course, should be empty but the date the relationship started should be on the outside (I can't stress how important it is to get that date right!).

This will show her how organised you are and how, unlike most guys, you think about the future!

........or just keep the really important stuff in a box marked 'PS4 games' or something and dump the rest.

All it'll show is that he's not just packing his stuff to move in with her, but preparing to pack her up away too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Burn that **** OP. Do you make comparisons between your current partner and previous partners to her face too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I think people are being far to extreme.

First - this is his GIRLFRIEND. Not his wife. Not his fiancée. DESTROYING his collection of momentos is a permanent action that can't be reversed - for a girl that, in a few months or years might not be with him.

I've lived with a handful of girlfriends. We broke up, sometimes on good terms, sometimes not. I'm really glad that I didn't pretend I was going to be with them for the rest of my life.

OP - if you're a bit nerdy, scan everything. Then encrypt it. Then synch it to dropbox/google drive/etc...store the password into a password manager and print a copy of the master password and store it with your 'important documents' folder or whatever you have for important paperwork.

Now you can never lose them - they're digital - they won't age - they'll last forever. It's secure (encrypted) and it's safe (if your computer breaks, it's still in the cloud - just log in with a new machine to your dropbox account, download it, decrypt it when you want to look at it.

If you still want to keep the physical originals - I'd just leave it with my parents. Throw it up in their attic. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

UCDVet wrote: »
    First - this is his GIRLFRIEND. Not his wife. Not his fiancée. DESTROYING his collection of momentos is a permanent action that can't be reversed - for a girl that, in a few months or years might not be with him.

If they ever do break up she'll be next to be added to the box :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

In fairness, I want to keep it, cause some of the memories in those boxes are really good, but on the other hand I'm sure my gf would go mental if she found this hoard in our new place.

Then keep it, if they represent good times in your life then what about, no harm! Good memories can't be bought. Is there anywhere you can keep them where the GF won't find them, like your parents house?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I have two boxes. I had one for my first boyfriend and when I moved in with my ex I told him it was just a bunch of memories that will never come out, just for me to have. No problem with it at all!

Now I have a box of his stuff. I hate his guts at the moment but one day I might want to go down memory lane. Doesn't mean you aren't moving on, just memories.

If you can keep them at your parents go for that. Or if your girlfriend has any issues with your exes, keep the stuff out of the new place, otherwise, just downsize as much as possible explain it to her and put it in the attic or somewhere where it wont be looking at her every day.

Advertisement