Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish rail and overcrowding

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

They can't. The bridges are too low for them. Probably other reasons too.

Thanks for telling me........twice

I know.......

.......and it was a thinly veiled "I'm-not-in-Ireland" post........ ;)

.........but thanks for playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

And strangely enough the Cork-Dublin trains seem half empty most of the time. I've went up on AI semi-final days and there'd be spare seats..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Well you can't expect an amazing train system if the money isn't invested in it. There is no political desire to spend money on railways here and it's logical. As the unions are such a mess.in Irish rail, that's hard to tell how much longer it can be sustainable to keep it going with its massive losses. Also so many of its passengers should be paying more eg OAPs.

Buses are what is commonly used for transport in continental Europe. Having lived in Germany. No one used trains as they were too expensive and the frequency wasnt the best. You can do 3 hour train rides on a bus in 2 hours and 15 mins. With proper management buses are better than trains. But Dublin needs a proper bus station

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

I don't normally use the train, but found myself getting one from Galway to Dublin on a Saturday evening a number of weeks ago. A lad got on in Athenry wearing a luminous Irish Rail jacket and with a clipboard. Presumed he was there to check tickets. Then spotted he had a plastic bag in his other hand. Proceeded to sit down, put his legs up on another seat and cracked open a can of Smithwicks. Hoovered back 6 cans by the time we got to Hueston. Then he went straight into Supermacs when we arrived at the station. Thought it was extremely unprofessional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭guest2014

Do you walk right up to the final carriage? I always find on busy trains that there's huge congestion issues on the 3rd and 4th last carriages, been on trains where the final one actually has spare seats and all. People seem to have some huge fear of walking up to the final one.

last time I was on a train from dublin to sligo, a few weeks ago and there was people standing and sitting in the area between the carriages, i got a seat no problem, and there were other seats available, then later I hear this woman roaring at the guy who collects the tickets that it was a disgrace that she paid for a ticket and had to stand, there were 3 or 4 seats in my carriage alone if she only went looking for a seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

What the fcuk is carrying everyone to that shit hole of a place?

As in to the toilet? He answered that in the OP- no where else to stand..:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

its always been that way and won't change. when i was living in athlone (1999-2004) that friday evening train to westport was chaotic.

i was always weary of standing between the carriages because that same train derailed at knockcroghery in 97. just by complete chance the derailment happened on a saturday not a friday evening otherwise there would have been dozens of casualties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Don't wash or wipe your arse from Monday might onwards and people should give your room in the carriage on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Free travel passes should not be valid for peak periods.

Nothing controversial at all, it was this way for many years

Seamus Brennan changed the rules in 2006

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Big thread on the issue here.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭loh_oro

Do you walk right up to the final carriage? I always find on busy trains that there's huge congestion issues on the 3rd and 4th last carriages, been on trains where the final one actually has spare seats and all. People seem to have some huge fear of walking up to the final one.

The final carriage was actually where I was standing was just as bad their as everywhere else. Once their was no room left between carriages people started standing in the aisle between seats and once that was full the toilets. A lot of people prebook their tickets and reserve their seat's so they come late and have seats but the problem with that is a lot of people using that route have monthly commuter tickets so we don't have that luxury

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Cutbacks. Last October IR raised ticket prices while simultaneously taking carraiges off the trains.

Nah, that train has been like that since I moved to Dublin 12 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Call me Al wrote: »
    It seems it's no different now to when I was travelling dublin to westport and westport to dublin back on the weekends in the early 90s.

Sometimes I think Ireland has just stood still for 20 years when it comes to stuff like this. iirc Fianna Fail had an election promise in the 1980's to reduce class sizes to below 30 pupils to one teacher. They came out with the exact same election promise in 2007 too which kinda showed how they hadn't achieved the policy and were now back around to promising it all over again 20 years later.

hardCopy wrote: »

I honestly think some people's default setting is just to trash anywhere that is mentioned. Some probably consider Westport overrated, which is grand, but no way could you ever call the place a shít-hole. Even just the scenic backdrop prevents that.

And strangely enough the Cork-Dublin trains seem half empty most of the time. I've went up on AI semi-final days and there'd be spare seats..

Not strange really, there's a very cheap express bus between the two cities now, that's is almost as quick as the train. Bombs it down the motorway. As well as that, even before the express service started, there were hourly trains, whereas the Westport route only has 3 or 4 each way a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

loh_oro wrote: »
    I'm currently on the train to Westport and their is so many people on the train their is no room left to stand ... People are standing in the toilets its gone that bad. This happens every Friday so why is it that they don't have bigger trains to compensate for busy day's. When I buy a train ticket I don't expect to have to travel in the toilet

Try the tube every day in London City for a year at rush hour, both ways :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Free travel passes should not be valid for peak periods.

Nothing controversial at all, it was this way for many years

Seamus Brennan changed the rules in 2006

One of the reasons it was changed was because there are a lot of disabled people going to training centres in Dublin and for those people to get to the centres on time they have to travel on Dublin Bus/Luas during peak times.

Advertisement