Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish rail and overcrowding

Options
  • 10-10-2014 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I'm currently on the train to Westport and their is so many people on the train their is no room left to stand ... People are standing in the toilets its gone that bad. This happens every Friday so why is it that they don't have bigger trains to compensate for busy day's. When I buy a train ticket I don't expect to have to travel in the toilet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

complain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Let off the biggest fart, you'll have plenty of room then.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It is worse than Japan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

What the fcuk is carrying everyone to that shit hole of a place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

It's not a unique rail problem, bus is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

All aboard the Bangladeshi express

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Yeah, I get that train every week. It's hell to be honest. I have dinner early on a Sunday now so I can get the early (around 1pm) train back to Dublin. The two later ones are a nightmare on a Sunday evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Cutbacks. Last October IR raised ticket prices while simultaneously taking carraiges off the trains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

This thread is going to be a wreck

• Site Banned Posts: 11 Sub_Merged

fryup wrote: »
    complain
    I'm on a train, I can't complain....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Can't buy extra carriages for two days a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭clairek6

cloud493 wrote: »
    It's not a unique rail problem, bus is the same.

Bus usually never let more people on than there are seats availiable though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Yes they do. That's why people stand at the front and in the wheelchair area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Currently on a commuter train between Boston and Providence - Irish Rail need to get some of these double decker sets!! That would help address the overcrowding issue!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

It seems it's no different now to when I was travelling dublin to westport and westport to dublin back on the weekends in the early 90s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

kneemos wrote: »
    Can't buy extra carriages for two days a week.

They actually put on an extra train on a Friday, and sometimes on a Sunday for that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭clairek6

cloud493 wrote: »
    Yes they do. That's why people stand at the front and in the wheelchair area.

Ah I meant the national commuter buses, galway to dublin for example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Do you walk right up to the final carriage? I always find on busy trains that there's huge congestion issues on the 3rd and 4th last carriages, been on trains where the final one actually has spare seats and all. People seem to have some huge fear of walking up to the final one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Jawgap wrote: »
    Currently on a commuter train between Boston and Providence - Irish Rail need to get some of these double decker sets!! That would help address the overcrowding issue!

Oh I love those double-decker trains. Was on numerous ones over in Switzerland leaving Zurich. So so comfy and even have couches on the top-tier to lounge back on.

Irish Rail can be pretty shocking. Sometimes in the past, even registering and choosing a seat means nothing.

Alot more needs to be done to our transport here,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

complain
    Sub_Merged wrote: »
    I'm on a train, I can't complain....

complain to irish rail when you get a chance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I was on the train to Dublin once and it got like that, some people had to stand for a while, not as many as on your train. But a woman was shouting at the security guy about it- shouting at the bloody security guy. I had to say something, told her to cop on for herself that It had fk all to do with him, he doesn't sell the tickets. she piped down and he thanked me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Loading gauge in ireland isnt big enough to allow such carriages

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

The train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

complain to irish rail when you get a chance

Or next time tweet about it with photos- Irish Rail are pretty good at monitoring their twitter feed for mentions (good & bad).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It's no better in the UK. Try getting from London Paddington to Reading on a Friday evening. Sure, the train is faster, but ... :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Sadly it will take an accident until proper safety standards on Trains and Buses are enforced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

They can't. The bridges are too low for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

They can't. The bridges are too low for them. Probably other reasons too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/travel/news/2012/0625/326461-westport-named-best-place-to-live/

Yeah, what a kip!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

michellie wrote: »
    I was on the train to Dublin once and it got like that, some people had to stand for a while, not as many as on your train. But a woman was shouting at the security guy about it- shouting at the bloody security guy. I had to say something, told her to cop on for herself that It had fk all to do with him, he doesn't sell the tickets. she piped down and he thanked me.

Some people are extremely dense.

Advertisement