Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Jackings Give them the keys or resist?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

After I stopped laughing, I'd batter 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭ofcork

kerry4sam wrote: »
    It's like instinct now with me and people actually laugh when they get into my car with my routine :
    ~ engine on
    ~ lights on
    ~ doors locked!
    ~ only then does my seatbelt go on.
    That's just the way I operate and hopefully won't change. I always lock my car doors driving anywhere.
    I'd like to think I'd give the keys, but I know in my heart it won't happen easily. I'd keep my keys for as long as possible,

My life could well be saved if I'd hand them over though,
    kerry4sam

I actually lock the doors before I start the car,put on seatbelt or anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,784 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Eutow wrote: »
    You take part of his leg clean off.... Well done sir

I chuckled. Well played

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

This particular incident in Donabate was horrific:

http://www.herald.ie/news/carjacker-tried-to-steal-bmw-before-collision-30658321.html
    HERALD wrote:
    A MAN who drove a hijacked Honda into another car, injuring a woman and her young son, had moments earlier tried to steal a BMW from a golf club car park..............(the alleged), from Rooskey, Co Roscommon, has 75 previous convictions for offences including driving while disqualified and speeding and 15 convictions for not having insurance.

The woman he smashed into is still in hospital with serious injuries whilst the child, thankfully is now at home after being in Temple st.

This man has 75 previous convictions and was let off prison time in 2010 because he promised he wouldnt drive again. and guess what, the judge bought it. I partly blame the judge for the injuries he caused to this woman and child as well as the trauma to the woman who's car he hijacked and the man who's car he failed to hijack.

Why are our judges so lenient? I know this is brought up on a daily basis but FFS this is the kind of stuff it leads to.

"oh please your honour, i wont do it again, i promise, even though i have 70 other convictions, i promise you i wont do it again...i have 2 kids that need me" why do our judges believe this sh1te?

my ranting isnt going to change anything but as a nation we just accept this lenient/non existing sentencing.

in my opinion, if this piece of dirt survives, he will be let off with a warning. the womans insurance company will probably have to compensate him for his injuries too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

After I stopped laughing, I'd batter 'em.

Ah yeah sure of course you would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭paulbok

I'd give them the keys and ask them to write it off when they are finished with it.
    I hate my car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Thoie wrote: »
    If they're outside my locked doors with a screwdriver, then ****'em. I'll drive off one way or another - if my only way out is through/over them, then so be it. "I was scared and my foot slipped".

I had this happen once. I was driving slowly in a (very quiet) car park, looking for a space when two 12 year olds came up to me and one of them smashed the drivers window with a massive screwdriver. I got such a fright that when I tried to drive off I cut the engine out, and they seemed so frightened at what they'd done that they ran away. I was awfully shocked though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

I'd hand the keys over. My car has a Clifford BlackJax (anti-carjacking) system, so they'd get maybe a hundred meters up the road before the car went nuts (lights, sirens, etc) and if the code isn't entered in a hidden panel, it shuts down its own engine.

Fancy. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Depends. If they're half in the car or something with a weapon I'd give up but if they stepped in front of the car and tried to stop me I'd probably accidentally not be able to stop the car in time.

My car is pretty sh1t though so it would be a pretty weird criminal that would try and jack it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I'd try drive away, if they managed to get the door open or pull me out I'd let them have it.

Not getting stabbed/shot over a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

ofcork wrote: »
    I actually lock the doors before I start the car,put on seatbelt or anything else.
    I lock them before I get in

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Cienciano wrote: »
    I lock them before I get in

Thats a good precaution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

I suppose it depends on the situation. But even though I take great pride in my car and enjoy it I'd most likely just hand over the keys. Maybe if it was one guy with no weapons but any other situation they can have the keys.

A good point brought up in this thread is about locking your doors when driving. I think it's a really good habit to get into. Unfortunately more often than not I forget to. But when going through towns built up areas and being stopped at lights when you think about it the locked doors are the only thing that will protect you from anyone simply getting into the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I'd let them jack me all day long. Real hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

Bpmull wrote: »
    A good point brought up in this thread is about locking your doors when driving. I think it's a really good habit to get into. Unfortunately more often than not I forget to. But when going through towns built up areas and being stopped at lights when you think about it the locked doors are the only thing that will protect you from anyone simply getting into the car.

Definitely, though I think people opening your doors when your stopped at lights to nick stuff is much more common than people doing it to car jack you. Some newer cars lock automatically which is handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Couple of years back was stopped in traffic in Parnell Street. I had a brand new white Golf GTD, beautiful car, but very blingy looking, would have stood out like a sore thumb and also a woman driver. Perfect fodder. Three skangers came across the road, two went to one side of the car and the third guy round the other side and all three tried to pull open the door, which thankfully, was locked.

I got an awful fright but as there was a gap between me and the car in front, I immediately took off like a rocket out and around the car stopped in front of me in a blind panic and drove straight through the red lights. Thank God there was no cars coming as I could have caused an accident but I was not thinking as I was so scared. I nearly ran over them in the process and they scattered actually jumping off the road. I was actually shocked at myself that I was planning on running over them (not intentionally but to get away from them) that I know if I am ever in the same position again I will have no issue in driving straight over them.

Advertisement