Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urinating in the shower

Options
  • 10-10-2014 7:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭

University students are being urged to urinate in the shower in a bid to save water.

The Go with the Flow campaign is the brainchild of students Debs Torr and Chris Dobson, from the University of East Anglia (UEA) in Norwich.

They want the university's 15,000 students to take their first wee of the day while having their morning shower.

Mr Dobson, 20, said the idea could "save enough water to fill an Olympic-sized swimming pool 26 times".

The pair want those taking part to pledge their allegiance on Facebook and Twitter and have offered gift vouchers to the first people to join the challenge.

"We're trying to challenge conventional behaviour, to start a debate on a resource that we largely take for granted."

He said: "As long as the water is flowing there is no hygiene risk as urine is sterile but we would encourage that every person using the same shower consents to the challenge and if not that they don't take part."

Go with the Flow
    Water savings could result in:
    720m litres
    annually if everybody in the UK took part
    £42.5m per year if population of East Anglia backed campaign
    £125k per year if all UEA students accepted challenge
    Source: Go with the Flow campaign

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-29552557

What do ya think ? Will Irish people now start using this as the water charges flow in, or is just a piss take :-)

I can't see no problem with it myself and I should know as before I was a right pisshead ....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

How wouldnt capturing the water from flushing? and recycling it effectively be better? all that would be required would be underground tanks to take the expected run off and pump and treat it and send to another storage at night when the electricity is cheaper or have alternative methods to pump the water anyway.
    what next? shyite n shower?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

cerastes wrote: »
    How wouldnt capturing the water from flushing? and recycling it effectively be better? what next? **** n shower?

...you don't already? It's a revolution, so liberating!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

They should advocate joint showers and call it piss on your partner

For the environment like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Damn dirty apes.

They should advocate joint showers and call it piss on your partner

For the environment like

Yes, I believe the Romans collected the stuff and Ive read somewhere it can be used for introducing Nitrogen back into the ground in small scale growing veg.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/from-gunpowder-to-teeth-whitener-the-science-behind-historic-uses-of-urine-442390/?no-ist

You could also piss on your clothes and stomp on them at the same time? save washing them which uses electricity, water and unnatural synthetic detergents.

@doyouevenlift,
    As for showering to clean after pooping, thats all well and good if you needed a shower, cant see it saving water as I generally only shower once, maybe twice a day, probably take 2-4 ****es though, so showering would be wasteful of water, plus you'd have to be showering everywhere if wiping was banned, ie take a ****e in work? then what, shower?

I dont think they will save as much water as they plan, people are already doing this, but arent adding it into their daily how many times do you take a piss? reported in surveys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,414 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

How wouldnt capturing the water from flushing? and recycling it effectively be better? all that would be required would be underground tanks to take the expected run off and pump and treat it and send to another storage at night when the electricity is cheaper or have alternative methods to pump the water anyway.

Well that sounds simple and cost effective...

wtf, they dont look like University students
    I was always young looking for my age, but that kid looks like he's 12.
    One swimming pool a year, fcuk that just fix any actual leaks and they'd likely save that times over, damn stinking kids.
    I think he just wants to piss on his mate there, durty bstad, kudos if can persuade her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

People don't piss in the shower?
    Weirdos.

What about crapping in the shower?

Saves on toilet roll and gives your bum a nice clean feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Yes, I believe the Romans collected the stuff and Ive read somewhere it can be used for introducing Nitrogen back into the ground in small scale growing veg.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/from-gunpowder-to-teeth-whitener-the-science-behind-historic-uses-of-urine-442390/?no-ist

You could also piss on your clothes and stomp on them at the same time? save washing them which uses electricity, water and unnatural synthetic detergents.

@doyouevenlift,
    As for showering to clean after pooping, thats all well and good if you needed a shower, cant see it saving water as I generally only shower once, maybe twice a day, probably take 2-4 ****es though, so showering would be wasteful of water, plus you'd have to be showering everywhere if wiping was banned, ie take a ****e in work? then what, shower?

I dont think they will save as much water as they plan, people are already doing this, but arent adding it into their daily how many times do you take a piss? reported in surveys.

You take 2-4 ****es EVERY DAY? You'd wanna get that looked at chief, it isn't normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,115 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

So all that's needed is a replumb of the bathroom and most of the house?
    And you wonder why people are thinking that's harder than just letting it go while you are already in the shower?
    Can't fathom it either mate.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

I'm going one better.
    I'm going to wash in the jacks bowl whilst also having a piss and a dump.

Beat THAT, UEA!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,869 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

This is taking the piss altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

Horrible Habit - I worked as a cleaner for a while and saw this a bit, there is a lot of folk who do this already as in urinate in sinks or showers

It would in theory save water but the yellow staining that occurs on showers , grout lines on walls is hard to remove. Leave it all to the smell from the plughole . Believe me no matter how much water is used while showering that smell will gather over time. Sinks were the worst, I think folks used just to use sink and not run water at all.

Army bases and student accomodations were the absolute worst assignments. Faeces in sinks was not that uncommon at all .

So if you are considering defecating or urinating into your sink or shower today :eek: I urge you to consider the cleaner :pac:

Starokan wrote: »
    Horrible Habit - I worked as a cleaner for a while and saw this a bit, there is a lot of folk who do this already as in urinate in sinks or showers

It would in theory save water but the yellow staining that occurs on showers , grout lines on walls is hard to remove. Leave it all to the smell from the plughole . Believe me no matter how much water is used while showering that smell will gather over time. Sinks were the worst, I think folks used just to use sink and not run water at all.

Army bases and student accomodations were the absolute worst assignments. Faeces in sinks was not that uncommon at all .

So if you are considering defecating or urinating into your sink or shower today :eek: I urge you to consider the cleaner :pac:

Have you ever tried cillit bang?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Damn dirty apes.
    He can talk, he can talk...

Even Barry Scott doesn't like to clean up faeces and urine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

does the job very effectively i'd have to say , doesn't justify it though:pac: , to sink pissers everywhere please think of the cleaner

does the job very effectively i'd have to say , doesn't justify it though:pac: , to sink pissers everywhere please think of the cleaner
    And if you need to drop a deuce, at least have the decency to crap in the bin. It's easier for the cleaner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Last_Minute

No need for toilets anymore to be honest. Just piss in the shower.

Anyway, i can't believe people don't urinate in the sink more often - it's ideal. The perfect height for my dink and zero splash back.

Pissing in the sink is a disgusting habit.

Just don't flush the toilet. Buy some cheap "value range" bleach, and chuck some into the WC after urination or an opening of the bowels. If things get a bit clogged, unwind a clothes hanger and mix up the contents in there, to loosen things up.

Job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Faeces in sinks was not that uncommon at all .

Reminds of an Aussie bar I once went to in London. Note the use of the word 'once'. Went into the Jacks and toilet floor was about 2 inches deep in piss. Went to wash the hands and there was shít in the hand basins. Last time I was in that kip.

realies wrote: »
    there is no hygiene risk as urine is sterile

No. It is not. That is one of those myths like the 10% brain myth and Vitamin C curing the common cold.

However I wonder how much water it would save really - as if the people doing it even feel a bit dirty for doing so - it will likely elongate their shower. Not to mention that the inclusion of it in the shower process already elongates the shower time.

If someone actually does a water usage comparison between people doing this - and people doing the "normal" way - I would not even be surprised to find out the result is the shower pee people actually end up using MORE water over all.

Why so few toilets in Ireland have European style dual flush control however is beyond me. Where the user can flush less water by choice - when they judge there is less to flush (such as just urine - or feces too).

People are starting to do long term hire on port a potties and use them as the main toilet to combat water charges, charge 20 cent a go to neighbours and make some money out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

People are starting to do long term hire on port a potties and use them as the main toilet to combat water charges, charge 20 cent a go to neighbours and make some money out of it.

Given that flushing the toilet will cost 4c, I dunno if that's the earner you think it will be.

Given that flushing the toilet will cost 4c, I dunno if that's the earner you think it will be.

Factor in all the cleaning products you need to keep your bathroom hygenic after your friends and neighbours pop around urinating and other disposal in the sink and shower its a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

I always do it :o YOLO, amirite???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

The worse thing about doing a poo in the shower is trying to push it down the plughole with ones toes.

Advertisement