Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bought car with Fake NCT - resolved

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

cerastes wrote: »
    For the love of christ!
    we already pay for the service! whats wrong with at least providing some information so someone can check if a vehicle has the NCT, without having to put their hand in their pocket, most cars are at this stage in annual NCTs, so if you already have a car or are buying, you will already be paying for this.

How about you are able to print off from online or show online the car has had so many tests, passed failed with details? for the owner that has already paid for the service or some summary of this?

Well, as much as we pay for it, I wouldn't agree with anyone being able to get that data for free. I know its effectively useless but still, every Tom & Dick would be a private investigator if you just needed to knock in the reg. At least with some charge it would limit it to those with a serious interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

goz83 wrote: »
    Small community :pac:

I can clear this one up. The car in question was my brothers and advertised through my adverts account. I'm the one who was dealing with the sale. The car is in great shape and far from dangerous. My personal number was given. Was sold from my house. What I didn't know, was that my brother had let someone else get a quick nct, which, thanks to the OP doing a proper check, we have found out it was a fake nct. This was 5 months ago.

The OP was ringing me when I was at the cinema. He was contacted back by me and my brother also rang to apologise and explain. He was offered a full refund if not happy with car, or €100 to cover the cost of an nct and the tracking done, which is the only known thing that the car needed. The OP met my brother a few hours ago and accepted the €100. So, not a story of fraud and luckily, the OP has a really good car for the money.

My brother is going to go after the other guy, as he claimed the car was tested and was 100%. It all started, because the test was running out a few days after my brother bought the car and there was a 6 week wait at the centre. Some lad he was working with claimed he knew one of the lads at the centre and could get a test that day for €100 :rolleyes:

My lesson: only advertise my own stuff for sale ;)

Happy motoring all.

As the OP I can confirm that the above is 100% correct. In fairness to Goz and his brother they were 100% upfront in sorting this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

As the OP I can confirm that the above is 100% correct. In fairness to Goz and his brother they were 100% upfront in sorting this out.

But how did the fake nct come about? That's a serious offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

snaps wrote: »
    But how did the fake nct come about? That's a serious offence.

Chap in the NCT centre I assume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Have to say, Im still a bit perplexed about some things,
    anyway if its sorted, alls well.
    ironclaw wrote: »
    Well, as much as we pay for it, I wouldn't agree with anyone being able to get that data for free. I know its effectively useless but still, every Tom & Dick would be a private investigator if you just needed to knock in the reg. At least with some charge it would limit it to those with a serious interest.

We have paid for it, and if we are selling it anyone can check it, makes it very convenient. Start charging others for it and then we, who have already paid for it will be next.
    At the least a summary should be available of the NCT history and mileage to the owner, but it'd be much more verifiable if any buyer could check NCT was complete and when due on the system, eliminates the possibility of a fraudulent document being done up.
    What would it matter if any tom dick or harry was able to check it? its supposed to be done anyway? doesnt need to give away address location or name of owner, in fact shouldnt.
    I posted on another thread and I noticed you also advocated the ability of gosafe to check for NCT, tax, ins, why shouldnt a private individual be able to check NCT is complete, its a very reasonable thing to expect a prospective buyer would need to check? doesnt need to give out anything they dont need, like the owners name, or cant see by looking at the car. Why is it ok for private company to be able to check these details and not an individual?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

ironclaw wrote: »

Why put financial barriers in the way of getting information. As a citizen who pays for all these quangos I should be able to access information without paying for it twice. I also like to have it available before I buy a car.

Excluding personal information the test results and recorded mileage should be made available at no charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Nobody seems to be getting my point here.......Someone has provided a fake nct cert for a car that was sold. Surely this is a huge area of concern.

I would hazzard a guess this car that was sold wasn't or will not be the last car provided with a fake nct cert from this source?

Does everyone accept its no big deal?

How would you stand if you brought a car with a fake nct and you got stopped by the cops a few months after thinking everything is rosey?

Where would you stand legally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

snaps wrote: »
    Nobody seems to be getting my point here.......Someone has provided a fake nct cert for a car that was sold. Surely this is a huge area of concern.

I would hazzard a guess this car that was sold wasn't or will not be the last car provided with a fake nct cert from this source?

Does everyone accept its no big deal?

How would you stand if you brought a car with a fake nct and you got stopped by the cops a few months after thinking everything is rosey?

Where would you stand legally?

I said in the first page of this thread that a criminal offence may have been committed and it was open to make a complaint to AGS.

You bring up an interesting question and I wonder (considering how easy it is to check) is it just ok to say about a fake cert I did not know. I recently helped a friend buy a second hand car and every car was run through carcheck to buy a car with out doing so may lead to issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

cerastes wrote: »
    I posted on another thread and I noticed you also advocated the ability of gosafe to check for NCT, tax, ins, why shouldnt a private individual be able to check NCT is complete, its a very reasonable thing to expect a prospective buyer would need to check? doesnt need to give out anything they dont need, like the owners name, or cant see by looking at the car. Why is it ok for private company to be able to check these details and not an individual?

Because the private companie(s) in question have to comply with Data Protection and ISO standards, that costs money. And when they implement such a service, its costs money. Even to correlate and present that data, would cost money. So either way, you are going to pay for it (Higher test fees, or perhaps a tenner when you want to 'buy it') The data, as useless as it my look to you, is actually very valuable. If you had a massive data catalog of test results, mileage etc its actually really good statistical information if you wanted to sell it. Its not so much about an owners information being handed out, it shouldn't be, it should be pure car data but just handing out test cert information for free is a bad idea.

As regards GoSafe et al, as bad and all as they are, they are operating in the interest of the State and if they checked NCT, Tax & Insurance compliance then it would be a benefit to us all.

I just feel we have enough internet PIs (look at the 'What I saw today thread') At the moment we can confirm a car is legit or not by the reg, I don't really fancy someone saying 'Ah yeah, that's an M5 with tax out since blah and the last NCTs were blah and look the insurance is out' or every nosey neighbor running cars through to lamp the local Garda station with complaints. That type of toss just isn't necessary on the internet in my opinion. I feel its best left to those with a serious interest (i.e. Happy to pay for it as buying the car and have a genuine interest) or the authorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

I didn't say the data had no value,I am certain it has value,why if motorists who already pay so much and already pay for this service should pay again for the information where it might be handed off to a private company and be somehow obliged to pay again? Is beyond me, at worst make it so the owner can confirm to a buyer of the record online or print their own record,the extra cost to store that information, given they have some record of this already?
    I'd only consider it details to be checked by go safe, if it's something that frees Garda time, but no reason they can't check for that and allow at least current basic details two be confirmed by public, and detailed and summary by owner.
    If I pay for my NCT,why shouldn't I be able to check cars I might purchase? Why does everything have to have an additional price tag added?

If I pay for my NCT, I'm not likely to need to access the information,but I'd be paying for others to check as I can check others too. If it helped eliminate odometer fixing and confirmed the car had actually had it's required tests history, then that would go a long way to eliminating fraud or deception for buyers Joe maybe help reduce or eliminate dangerous stuff off the roads, maybe the information should be more detailed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement