Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Bonus back on the table for pensioners?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 mug_holder

Also there are pensioners in other countries that aren't pitied as much as the Irish pensioners. Any time there was even an attempt to cut or chop from them poor stories go rolling about the place and to be quite honest it is just manipulative bullsh1t. Can they not pay for their fuel? Their own TV licence?

its one thing not cutting the pension , now that the country is recovering, it would be politically stupid to cut a sector the population who have uncondtional support from the vast majority of people but to increase their conditions is just such a waste of hard earned work this past few years

the state pension is ludicrously generous in this country and is completely unsustainable

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Newspaper reports quoting Joan Burton .

No Christmas bonus or telephone allowance coming back for pensioners

woodoo wrote: »
    Its quite depressing that they are going down this route again. There is also talk of reintroducing it for welfare recipients. As far as the OAP's are concerned they have sailed through this recession virtually untouched.

pensioners are the strongest voting bloc in the country , i used to think it was the public sector

no wonder pensioners have at least three public funded QUANGO,s who earn a living potraying the elderly as poverty stricken , strong representation is a reflection of political strength

watch out for a guy called eamon timmins who heads age action ireland , guy spreads mistruths all of the time about conditions amongst the elderly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

Its quite depressing that they are going down this route again. There is also talk of reintroducing it for welfare recipients. As far as the OAP's are concerned they have sailed through this recession virtually untouched.

That Xmas bonus was scrapped for some years now. People who are unemployed for example with perhaps some kids would have planned for Xmas throughout the year. Perhaps to limit gift giving. Maybe buying a toy once a month in tk max and sparing it over for the Xmas.

I would much prefer if the water charges were stalled for a month or two because bills in January are sh1t. A bill in January is more sh1t.

pensioners are the strongest voting bloc in the country , i used to think it was the public sector

no wonder pensioners have at least three public funded QUANGO,s who earn a living potraying the elderly as poverty stricken , strong representation is a reflection of political strength

watch out for a guy called eamon timmins who heads age action ireland , guy spreads untruths all of the time about conditions amongst the elderly

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

mug_holder wrote: »
    pensioners had no recession compared to the majority of people

You realize recessions weren't invented in 2007?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

sorry for shouting, but PENSIONERS ACTUALLY VOTE!

So there you have it. And they can mobilise in great numbers outside the Dail to make their case for more moolah.

The rest of us are at work, minding our kids, getting the messages, minding our parents, paying the bills, turning off the water, hoping the reduced aisle in Tesco has something left, driving or commuting for hours. You get the drift.

Whew, pensioners have TIME to fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

mug_holder wrote: »
    t
    awarding pensioners an xmas bonus undoes good work which was done during the recession in terms of instilling an attitude of fiscal rectitude

When you've walked a mile in their shoes, then your opinion on OAP's might be worth listening to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Grandkids everywhere are delighted.

sorry for shouting, but PENSIONERS ACTUALLY VOTE!

So there you have it. And they can mobilise in great numbers outside the Dail to make their case for more moolah.

The rest of us are at work, minding our kids, getting the messages, minding our parents, paying the bills, turning off the water, hoping the reduced aisle in Tesco has something left, driving or commuting for hours. You get the drift.

Whew, pensioners have TIME to fight!

people protest against cuts , i dont think pensioners should be cut , i think they should have been cut five budgets ago but since the country is recovering , it would be political suicide to cut now and besides , fianna fail would react by promising to add fifty euro to the old age pension were they elected

their was no need to float this idea of restoring the xmas bonus , not doing so would not have reduced the goverments chances of re-election

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Roger_007 wrote: »
    They should tax the money that the pension companies cream off from the contributions instead.

What money are they creaming off pension contributions? You can be as specific as you like.
    Any time there was even an attempt to cut or chop from them poor stories go rolling about the place and to be quite honest it is just manipulative bullsh1t.

Nice to see someone call it like it is. Cutting welfare for people who have absolutely no interest in working needs to be added to that. Jobs in cafes etc were below them during the Celtic tiger and the government rewarded them for it. They have no problem living off the backs of the people who work in those cafes.

coolhull wrote: »
    When you've walked a mile in their shoes, then your opinion on OAP's might be worth listening to

no clue what that means

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Gatling wrote: »
    Newspaper reports quoting Joan Burton .

No Christmas bonus or telephone allowance coming back for pensioners

I'd say she just hated giving that news.

no clue what that means

i do know that despite the recovery , ireland is not the land of milk and honey and we cannot afford to engage in endless paying tribute to pensioners , the state pension in ireland is already far higher than in most countries in the EU

So, you need to be an OAP to pass comment on OAPs?

Smidge wrote: »
    I'd say she just hated giving that news.

Personally i hope she enjoyed it ,
    Im so going to get burned but I think shes done a great job trying to fix the welfare system and to think people called her cuts savage but yet she could have gone a lot further

Im so going to get burned but I think shes done a great job trying to fix the welfare system and to think people called her cuts savage but yet she could have gone a lot further

You're her oh, aren't you?
    And she's watching you, isn't she?
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

I am all for caring for our elderly but why do they need a xmax bonus surly the family on sw would need it more. All this talk about the poor pensoner and them not being able to live on the pension 200e should be more than enough to live on a week. A friend of mine cared for an 90 year old gentelman and he had drawers coat pockets and anywhere that he could find stuffed with 20 and 50e notes he didnt want to buy a thing yet when she bought it with her own money he would have ate plate and all. As for the phone even with the allowance it was still to expensive. He even got got an extra bedroom and shower room built on never put his arse into it Sorry but I think they are well enough off I know familys living on less

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'm no Labour supporter, but she sure got a poisoned chalice there!

FG did not want any of their esteemed members to be tainted with that job given the times that were in it.

She was at the top of her game as Shadow Finance spokesperson back in the FF days.. That's where her talents lie I think.

Smidge wrote: »
    You're her oh, aren't you?
    And she's watching you, isn't she?
    :eek:

Shhhhhhhh she'll hear you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭wiseoldelf34

oceanman wrote: »
    agree, why give to one group of people and not the others?..

capitalism in action i believe

capitalism in action i believe

nothing whatsoever to do with capitalism

Shhhhhhhh she'll hear you

I'm not afraid of Mrs Misery guts ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

nice to have some consolation when on death row.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Just saw the thread. Did I miss the begrugers not wishing anyone to have anything?

... oh wait. Too late :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

Only problem is there is no hitch on a herse.

She was at the top of her game as Shadow Finance spokesperson back in the FF days.. That's where her talents lie I think.

Opposition is a very easy place to live in the political world. Talk is cheap. Getting into power and dealing with reality is a completely different beast.

Advertisement