Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Any recommendations ?

Options
  • 08-10-2014 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

I'll be changing again soon and need some idea's on what next.

Mileage not an issue as mine would be 2nd car in family and is basically to get me from home to work and back home again along with the odd spin in between.Therefore Diesel v Petrol debate is a non starter really. I'd sacrifice the better fuel consumption on the odd occasion for less hassle with petrol.

Insurance shouldn't be an issue as I'm no spring chicken and have full ncb.

I'd like something comfortable with a bit of poke when needed and don't really wanna go above 2.0 for motor tax reasons.

I've been browsing a lot of stuff ,S60's,Accords,Rav4,CRVs ...... different kinda cars I know

Anything anyone can add ? Budget up to 4k cash.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Honda Accord would be high on my list. 4k should get you a very nice Accord.

You'd get a lovely E39 and have a big chunk of change out of 4k.

Over budget but how about this?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-159/7539069

• Registered Users Posts: 51,130 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Honda Accord would be high on my list. 4k should get you a very nice Accord.

You'd get a lovely E39 and have a big chunk of change out of 4k.

Over budget but how about this?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/alfa-romeo-159/7539069

I once had a 1997 Accord 2.0 Petrol, I think it was the only car I changed outta circumstances than boredom !! My commute went to an 80 mile round trip daily. The E39 I like very much but I wouldn't pay the 2.2 litre tax and the 2.0 is very limited in good nick nowadays. Nice Alfa but like most folk I couldn't risk it :(

bazz26 wrote: »

The Legacy is another I have considered, are parts expensive on Subaru's ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

You can't go wrong with a crv. I drove one for six years and never had a thing go wrong. The only thing would be the tax is a bit on the high side but the car itself is fantastic.

• Advertisement

The Legacy is another I have considered, are parts expensive on Subaru's ?

They can be due to lack of availability here but there is a vast number of owner's clubs out there and they have knowledge on where to source them cheaper. If you are interested in a Legacy then I suggest signing up to an owner's club forum (there is an Irish Subaru owner's club) and ask around before taking the plunge.

I once had a 1997 Accord 2.0 Petrol, I think it was the only car I changed outta circumstances than boredom !! My commute went to an 80 mile round trip daily. The E39 I like very much but I wouldn't pay the 2.2 litre tax and the 2.0 is very limited in good nick nowadays. Nice Alfa but like most folk I couldn't risk it :(

Less then 2k gets you a 525i.

That's 2k change to spend on tax, petrol, insurance and hookers. :pac:

A well minded Alfa is no more unreliable then any other car.

And finding one of those ?? I'm edging towards Honda atm unless something else takes my fancy.

Thanks btw ;)

Another Honda thrown in the mix, 1.8 Civic ? Obviously not on the same level as the Accord or S60 but lively enough I'd imagine and would be a bit cheaper to run. Anything else in 1.8 or even 1.6 that should tick the boxes with regards comfort and a bit of poke (And obviously reliable) ?

You will be hard pressed to find a decent 2006 onwards Civic 1.8 litre for €4k. Pre 2006 model was 1.4, 1.6, 1.7 and 2.0 litre.

Alternatives:

33400334.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volvo-s40-1-8se-05-4dr/7747842

33083177.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/saab-93-1-8-litre-petrol/6991590

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

But if they take more minding and more parts to keep them going compared to other cars then doesn't that make them a more unreliable car?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,022 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    But if they take more minding and more parts to keep them going compared to other cars then doesn't that make them a more unreliable car?

Do they take more minding and more parts to keep them going though?

You could buy an Alfa that runs like a dream for you, or buy a VW or BMW that runs like a dog. Bit sweeping to assume all Alfa's will need more parts.

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

Will we swap out unreliable for "higher maintenance" ??

I'll soon be 2 weeks without my own wheels and still none the wiser as what to buy, I haven't had a look in person at any vehicle yet will have to address that over the long weekend. Something in medium to large family car size maybe even SUV size but nothing pinned down just yet.

Are Mondeo's/Focus in 1.6 petrol format underpowered ? Is the likes of a 2.0 petrol Accord or S60 worth the higher running costs for the extra ump and comforts they provide ??? Decisions decisions decisions.

2005/6 Rav4 1.8/2.0 have entered the running now as well.

I went and viewed a 1 owner 2006 CRV which looked mint on DD last Sunday, it got off to a bad start as I was disappointed with the appearance of the car. Scuffs on every corner and general an untidy machine. The clutch was recently replaced but was creaking like and auld floorboard.

The search goes on ...........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I went and viewed a 1 owner 2006 CRV which looked mint on DD last Sunday, it got off to a bad start as I was disappointed with the appearance of the car. Scuffs on every corner and general an untidy machine. The clutch was recently replaced but was creaking like and auld floorboard.

The search goes on ...........

I recommend the Mazda 6. I have the same car use as you, mainly work with the odd family trip. Its a lovely drive, nice place to be, has all the toys I want, looks good and is practical. Not quite as big as a Mondeo or Passat, but plenty big enough. I've the 1.8 petrol one (2006) and it really is a pleasure to drive.
    I consider it a step up from my 2005 Mondeo

I recommend the Mazda 6. I have the same car use as you, mainly work with the odd family trip. Its a lovely drive, nice place to be, has all the toys I want, looks good and is practical. Not quite as big as a Mondeo or Passat, but plenty big enough. I've the 1.8 petrol one (2006) and it really is a pleasure to drive.
    I consider it a step up from my 2005 Mondeo

It's on my DD saved ads list, have you owned it long ? Any issues ?

The Petrols are generally very robust cars.

The Petrols are generally very robust cars.

That's what I've gathered from reading reviews about them, petrol's very good cars, diesel's can give trouble (Can't most diesels nowadays !!)

I've made loose arrangements to view a 06 1.8 Civic h/b at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What sort of money is it? (Curious as I remember what I paid for my 07 2 years ago)

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What sort of money is it? (Curious as I remember what I paid for my 07 2 years ago)

Sorry for the slow reply, in around the 4k mark. What can you report on said vehicle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭Ferris

Does it need to have 4 doors?

My Dad had similar requirements to you and bought an '03 CLK 200 (1.8l engine) and he's very happy with it.

This looks nice and has a heap of kit.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes/7966577

Ferris wrote: »
    Does it need to have 4 doors?

My Dad had similar requirements to you and bought an '03 CLK 200 (1.8l engine) and he's very happy with it.

This looks nice and has a heap of kit.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes/7966577

Doesn't necessarily no, the 2 kids would probably knock novelty outta climbing into the back but I don't think I'd take a chance on a Merc :o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Owned the grand total of 2 days and still loving it. Fantastic car to drive, really puts a smile on your face. No issues yet except a sticky fuel flap.

Paid 3400 for a 2006, 1.8 petrol, NCT to 2016, 80k miles and FSH off a dealer. 3 month warranty.
    The thing with a dealer is that you get it fully valeted, and even serviced (Basic oil and filters)
    It was just so clean and I don't think anybody had ever sat in the back, great alloys, in fact the whole car was pretty immaculate and you had to look carefully for signs of wear and tear.

I do 40kms to work on back roads and getting 6.9 L (around 35mpg)
    but coming from a mondeo diesel, I prefer it

For 4k you should be able to find a decent 2006 example. Just go and test drive one and you will see what I mean

Good size boot as well

I drove to a large Midland car dealership today to view a 2006 Civic they had in stock. I had a look at the car myself, went into the showroom and asked the receptionist if she was on her own, she paged "Sales". Guy comes out in a shirt and tie I said "You might need a jacket ! " it was a bit wet today. I then told him what I was interested in and asked why it had no Nct, he said don't you know the story with the Nct ?? He then began to tell me their policy was upon sale of any car without Nct they'd book it in and pay whatever was needed to get it through :rolleyes: Okay I thought and asked him could I take the car for a drive, he said sure but before we left the showroom he told me the asking price and asked was I willing to pay that, I said I'd like to have a look at the car first, he said Ok so off we go to the car. Sat into the car, nice, clean, lowish miles for the year turned on the ignition pressed the Start/Stop button ....... battery dead. He said I'll get a battery jump I said "No it's alright"

Dealer (Car salesmen) like this are the reason I don't tend to deal with dealerships, condescending twat.

To be fair, if cars have been sitting up for sometime then chances are the battery might need a jump especially at this time of year. I would not let a dead battery put me off.

Sales people like in any walks of life are good or bad. I bought a car myself recently and before so rang around garages that were a fair distance from me about pricing to see if I was wasting a trip down to them or not. One place made his price which was on the high side but not too far away from what I had in my head. He was unwilling to budge on that price even though I was willing to come down and show him the car I had to trade-in. He told me not to bother unless we were going to deal at his aforementioned price.

I rang another garage down South and his figure a bit cheaper but was flexible on it if we could see my car and I was ready to deal. I ended up buying it very close to the figure I had in my head, after a bit of negotiating. Ironically I got a text from the first guy a few days later asking if I was still looking for a car.

I know they're not all the same but I was looking to do a deal for cash on a soon to be 9 yr old 1.8 petrol car without tax or nct, hardly the easiest thing to shift. But alas good luck to him, it'll still be there come 2015 where as my cash will be in someone else's pocket ðŸ˜႒

Rant over and back in the hunt tomorrow

Went to look at a 2006 Civic last Sunday, wasn't as tidy as I had hoped and just not right for me. The Mazda 6 had risen to top of the list today until a Volvo S40 1.8 sprung up. Gonna have a look at it tomorrow, high miles on it but 1 owner and he says he's never had a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Went to look at a 2006 Civic last Sunday, wasn't as tidy as I had hoped and just not right for me. The Mazda 6 had risen to top of the list today until a Volvo S40 1.8 sprung up. Gonna have a look at it tomorrow, high miles on it but 1 owner and he says he's never had a problem with it.
    Stick with a Civic or an accord, They are a superior car to a Mazda 6.

What year is the s40? If It's the first generation I wouldn't bother with itas they are based on the Mitsubishi carisma from 1995, which is mediocre and has patchy quality. both cars were made alongside each other in the netherlands.

The second generation s40 is based on the mk2 focus platform and as a result it is massively better than the first generation s40.

• Advertisement

The S40 is a 2008 what ya think ? Good machine ?

Advertisement