Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you consider yourself european?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Depends on who is wearing it.

Do you get sexually aroused by asking stupid questions?

You don't even try. It's all very well you having one opinion but to jump around essentially saying the exact same thing post after post and thanking other posts of the exact same nature - without even trying to tell us why you think your opinion is relevant.

Hell, if it was a hit and run post I'd understand but you stuck around repeating yourself like a parrot.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

karma_ wrote: »
    You don't even try. It's all very well you having one opinion but to jump around essentially saying the exact same thing post after post and thanking other posts of the exact same nature - without even trying to tell us why you think your opinion is relevant.

Hell, if it was a hit and run post I'd understand but you stuck around repeating yourself like a parrot.

Hush I'm going to extrapolate my point but not on my phone. You're taking this very serious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

oceanman wrote: »
    No, even though our dumbass leaders sold us out to Europe, I still consider myself Irish.

Are you sure you're not a 13 year old Californian ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Hush I'm going to extrapolate my point but not on my phone. You're taking this very serious.

AH is serious business!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Added a poll so people can battle it out with clearer results :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

European is an eclectic term. There's no one size fits all definition - that's why there's so much discussion on it. Though you cannot deny the fact that Ireland is European nation due the fact we share some of the common characteristics as other European countries ie. Membership of the EU, traditionally christian country etc.

Although yet again, this is a pretty standard definition and not necessarily true, for example, Norway and Switzerland are European countries but are not members of EU and Albania is a Muslim majority country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭KungPao

Absolutely not.

I am West British.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭crannglas

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    Worms cans open. You really out did yourself on this one, they will be at each others throats soon lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

bb1234567 wrote: »
    No I dont really think of myself as european. I identify more as a westerner because we are english speaking, like I think we are more like america, uk, australia and nz than mainland europe.
    Hmmm... you don't actually know what the term 'Westerner' actually means, do you?
    Go easy on him, he's not as used to your usual MO of coming out with spurious arguments then running for cover when someone points out they're built on sand or falsehoods, as some of us are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Censorsh!t wrote: »

And its your fault I clicked on the wrong option.

• Advertisement

European is an eclectic term. There's no one size fits all definition - that's why there's so much discussion on it. Though you cannot deny the fact that Ireland is European nation due the fact we share some of the common characteristics as other European countries ie. Membership of the EU, traditionally christian country etc.

Although yet again, this is a pretty standard definition and not necessarily true, for example, Norway and Switzerland are European countries but are not members of EU and Albania is a Muslim majority country.
    Yeah Norway was smart enough to stay out of the collective. Albania would be on paper partly Muslim country majority atheists if you know their history and previously majority Catholics. They are however die hard nationalists. Norwegians are very much different to Switzerland as are we to them. Only simalarities I believe most of our countries have we are all very nationalistic lol

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Irish first.
    A wee bit European shure didn't I help to bail out their banks.

crannglas wrote: »
    Yeah Norway was smart enough to stay out of the collective.
    Norway stays out because it does not make sense for Norway to join. Same goes for Switzerland. This may change in the future or it may not. But I really don't understand why some seem to think that what works for Norway will work for Ireland or vice versa, which is what your statement essentially says.
    Only simalarities I believe most of our countries have we are all very nationalistic
    Swiss sense of nationalism would put any Irishman's to shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Definitely see myself as more 'british-isles'-ian than European. Got feck all in common with anyone from the continental mainland

Ah now, I reckon there's a few lads among the 400 million or so that you'd share interests with.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

We? Last I checked the England, and later the UK, colonised what became the USA and had already lost it by the time we became part of the UK. Both the US and Ireland speak English because we were both colonized by the same people.

Call a spade a spade, there are similarities between somewhere like the US and Ireland, which are inherited from our former rulers; common law, somewhat simelar educational systems (at third level, less so below), some residual attachment to the Imperial measuring system, Victorian attitudes twoards sex and, most importantly, English.

But the claim you made that we're closer to them culturally than to other Europeans, not that we have something in common and so far you've not exactly made much effort to prove your point.

For example, I can point out to you that many of our attitudes and cultural perspectives are much closer to mainland Europe than the US.

Our politics, and definitions of left and right, liberal and conservative, and essentially European and bare little similarity to American politics where their 'liberals' would often hold positions on a par with our conservatives.

Many American attitudes are completely alien to us; specifically in areas such as religion or gun control. There too we are much closer to Europe.

Americans are far more 'optimistic' less interested in looking back at history than us Europeans; it's a large reason why they are noted for their 'can do' attitude while we are accused of being stuck in the past ("Old Europe).

We believe in socialized health. And a social safety net. Like other Europeans. Attitudes to this are, as we saw with opposition to Obamacare, less positive in the US.

And that's off the top of my head.

Of course, if you're a monoglot, I can understand how a nation that speaks the only language you speak might seem more familiar, but seeming is not the same thing as being so.
    The United Kingdom were our mutual rulers but the Irish made up a large percentage of the people who colonized what is now the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. A large proportion of people in these countries are descended from Irish people. So yes, while these lands were not under our political hegemony the argument can't really be made that we didn't colonize them. We certainly did.

All those things you listed are true but I feel you're glossing over similarities that are extremely important. For example our use of the English language is more than a coincidence, it represents a shared heritage and cultural union. When American media is consumed on the continent it must either first be converted to the countries national language, in which case it looses a lot of its meaning, or it is kept in English but broadcast to a much smaller audience. As a result Ireland is much more susceptible to American media than other non-English speaking countries would be.

Secondly our use of Common Law. A countries system of law is obviously a very important facet in the lives of its citizens. In Ireland, the United States and pretty much every other former British possession we use the Common Law, a system of law not shared with our European neighbours.

Our Parliamentary style is a hybrid of the British side benches style and the European (and US) semi circular style. Our lower house looks like a horse shoe.

We share a use of Imperial units though thankfully we seem to be moving towards metric.

Socialized health care? I wouldn't call that continental. The United Kingdom's healthcare is more "socialized" than ours. Similarly Canada, Australia and New Zealand have government funded health services. The United States is the only developed country that doesn't.

I think overall while our attitudes and outlook on life are more similar to Americans than Europeans ( I work for Americans and I don't see the extra "optimism" you're talking about) but certainly we're more similar to the British than both and given our history that's unsurprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

....good thing I had the bucket handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭GotTheTshirt

Those characteristics are neither here nor there, you somehow forgot what actually makes us european, geography.

Norway stays out because it does not make sense for Norway to join. Same goes for Switzerland. This may change in the future or it may not. But I really don't understand why some seem to think that what works for Norway will work for Ireland or vice versa, which is what your statement essentially says.

Swiss sense of nationalism would put any Irishman's to shame.
    . Not in slightest what I am implying. I am anti EU and believe that's what got us into this mess in first place. I believe all countries should stick to whats good for their own instead of trying to make so different people and economies the same. Stupid and failing. Irelands differences was its strength as was its currency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Those characteristics are neither here nor there, you somehow forgot what actually makes us european, geography.

yeah you're right, I should of put that it, would've made more sense, oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Nodin wrote: »
    And its your fault I clicked on the wrong option.

That's ok. This is a European poll, so you get to vote again and again until you pick the right option.

• Advertisement

That's ok. This is a European poll, so you get to vote again and again until you pick the right option.

Ha ha 100 thousand thumbs up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Dual citizen before anyone gets the vapours over what follows:

Donegal,
    then
    Irish,
    then
    British,
    then
    European.

A large proportion of people in these countries are descended from Irish people. So yes, while these lands were not under our political hegemony the argument can't really be made that we didn't colonize them. We certainly did.
    So not "countries we formally colonized" as you claimed earlier, but more informally colonized then? In other words you were talking historical nonsense.

So, now it's only informal colonization - "a large proportion of people in these countries are descended from Irish people" as you put it. I presume that by this logic we are far more simelar to the Argentines than other Europeans?
    All those things you listed are true but I feel you're glossing over similarities that are extremely important. For example our use of the English language is more than a coincidence, it represents a shared heritage and cultural union.
    Don't you think that you might be exaggerating that "shared heritage and cultural union" though?
    As a result Ireland is much more susceptible to American media than other non-English speaking countries would be.
    You've clearly not lived in any non-English speaking countries then.
    Secondly our use of Common Law.
    Again, I'd contend you're exaggerating there also.
    Our Parliamentary style is a hybrid of the British side benches style and the European (and US) semi circular style. Our lower house looks like a horse shoe.
    Bit of a non-point.
    We share a use of Imperial units though thankfully we seem to be moving towards metric.
    We don't really use Imperial units though. We seem attached to them still for personal measurements like height or weight, but pretty much everything else has moved to metric a while back. Another point of difference between us an the US is our use of Celsius rather than Fahrenheit, btw.
    Socialized health care? I wouldn't call that continental. The United Kingdom's healthcare is more "socialized" than ours.
    And the UK is... wait for it... a European country; whether they like the definition or not. Not sure what the point of using the UK as an example to defend the lack of similarity between the US and Ireland is for though.
    Similarly Canada, Australia and New Zealand have government funded health services. The United States is the only developed country that doesn't.
    So you agree with my point about the US? Because I didn't mention anywhere else.
    I think overall while our attitudes and outlook on life are more similar to Americans than Europeans ( I work for Americans and I don't see the extra "optimism" you're talking about) but certainly we're more similar to the British than both and given our history that's unsurprising.
    You might think we're more similar to Americans than Europeans, but you still haven't actually given an argument why. All you did is give an argument how we're simelar to the British, who are a European nation.

Feel free to actually defend your earlier points whenever you like, rather than trying to change the goalposts. Thanks.
    crannglas wrote: »
    Not in slightest what I am implying.
    Then you might want to rephrase it because that's what you did.
    I am anti EU and believe that's what got us into this mess in first place. I believe all countries should stick to whats good for their own instead of trying to make so different people and economies the same. Stupid and failing. Irelands differences was its strength as was its currency.
    Oh dear. What do you know about our late currency that brought you to this conclusion? Or what our economy was like back in the 'good old days'?

And when you say you believe, are we talking about based upon reason and facts or like "I believe in a great spaghetti monster in the sky"? Just asking.

So not "countries we formally colonized" as you claimed earlier, but more informally colonized then? In other words you were talking historical nonsense.

So, now it's only informal colonization - "a large proportion of people in these countries are descended from Irish people" as you put it. I presume that by this logic we are far more simelar to the Argentines than other Europeans?

Don't you think that you might be exaggerating that "shared heritage and cultural union" though?

You've clearly not lived in any non-English speaking countries then.

Again, I'd contend you're exaggerating there also.

Bit of a non-point.

We don't really use Imperial units though. We seem attached to them still for personal measurements like height or weight, but pretty much everything else has moved to metric a while back. Another point of difference between us an the US is our use of Celsius rather than Fahrenheit, btw.

And the UK is... wait for it... a European country; whether they like the definition or not. Not sure what the point of using the UK as an example to defend the lack of similarity between the US and Ireland is for though.

So you agree with my point about the US? Because I didn't mention anywhere else.

You might think we're more similar to Americans than Europeans, but you still haven't actually given an argument why. All you did is give an argument how we're simelar to the British, who are a European nation.

Feel free to actually defend your earlier points whenever you like, rather than trying to change the goalposts. Thanks.

Then you might want to rephrase it because that's what you did.

Oh dear. What do you know about our late currency that brought you to this conclusion? Or what our economy was like back in the 'good old days'?

And when you say you believe, are we talking about based upon reason and facts or like "I believe in a great spaghetti monster in the sky"? Just asking.
    I have to only reply with one comment to that. As opposed to your democratically stable economic EU and euro lol please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Do Madagascan people feel African? It'd seem weird if they didn't. Or if the Malaysians said they weren't Asian.

I feel Northwestern European to be precise. But I don't feel any country should have a monopoly on the term "European".
    bnt wrote: »
    Oh, I know - I saw a few things on trips to Denmark that would curl your hair, and once shared a house with some Swedes here in Dublin. I couldn't even try to compete with that. But that's not what I meant by "European" drinking, which I did see in France, Spain and Portugal. I expect I'd see different drinking if I visited Slovakia ...

So you really just mean "Mediterranean" drinking then? If binge drinking occurs on this continent then it is "European" by default. Ireland has more in common with the folksy British & Scandanavian countries rather than the Romanized ones.
    No I want nothing to do with this European "project"

Neither do I, but that has little to do with this thread. The EU has nothing to do with being European, lot's of European countries aren't even in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Not really, would always say I'm Irish, easier that way.

Living in New Zealand at the moment, old manager's wife once asked me if I'd ever been to Europe. Replied sure I live there. She said "Really, I thought Ireland and Britain where it's own thing". Lost my faith in people that day

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Once, no. But after this song, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Nicely done

myshirt wrote: »
    Once, no. But after this song, yes.

That song would drive me to join UKIP TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Mehaffey1 wrote: »
    Not really, would always say I'm Irish, easier that way.

Living in New Zealand at the moment, old manager's wife once asked me if I'd ever been to Europe. Replied sure I live there. She said "Really, I thought Ireland and Britain where it's own thing". Lost my faith in people that day

Lady's got it down. I imagine she wouldn't give a bucket of kiwi sh1te for that "Australasia" project either.

Advertisement