Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you consider yourself european?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭gugleguy

Yes. In terms of leisure pursuit/occupations sure.
    Just let's say I'm not a die hard GAA supporter in any sense, in terms of being Irish. :D:):D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

A South African calling Europeans rude? Blimey.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    Yes, as I said we are technically European.

But I mean in a cultural way.

But we are not the same culturally even at a national level. Someone born in Dublin city can no more relate to someone born in rural Leitrim than they can with someone born in southern Italy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm from Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

if anyone here does feel european reflect on why your fellow europeans only got stung for 200 bills while you're paying 8 grand to save the euro

Some are more european than others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Yes, as I said we are technically European.

But I mean in a cultural way.
    Is that actually a thing though? Germans, French and Spanish are as different from each other culturally as they are from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,740 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Yes, I feel we share a lot of common interests with our fellow Europeans and I support closer ties via a federal Europe.

We are citizens of the European Union as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

No I don't consider myself European, I don't consider myself Irish, I don't consider myself a Dub. I am just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

The concept of a ' European ' identity is rubbish , we'd all gouge each other's eyes out and relish it at the drop of a hat if our economic futures didn't restrain us .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Is that actually a thing though? Germans, French and Spanish are as different from each other culturally as they are from us.

True, I am being very general here!

I mean basically besides the political and technical aspects, would people consider themselves to be European.
    We are obviously European, geographically speaking as well as being in the EU.

But when you think of Europe, do you picture Ireland in there? Or would you view other countries as being 'more European'. I know this is all a load of ****e I'm speaking, but, I think Ireland has a very different feel to many European countries I've been to. That could be all the rain though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,740 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Genetically most Irish can be traced to where we came from...northern Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Okay, obviously, I know, technically Irish are European. But I always find it very odd when people refer to me as European.

When I was in S. Africa someone was saying how important manners are because they know "Europeans can be very rude". My first thought was "but I'm not European...not in that sense anyway!"

When someone speaks of Europe, I always think Spain, France, Germany, mainland Europe basically. Yet Ireland would never enter my head.

Would you consider yourself European? Do you think Ireland is a 'European' country? In the cultural sense of the word.

Phew...how many times can I say Europe in one post!

Ah, the South Africans, not known for rudeness at all. Especially the white ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

When I'm in a meeting with other Europeans, probably not. When I'm in a meeting in Asia Pacific, or the Americas, then I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

I am the product of a western and a central european so, yes I consider myself European.

which Western??one that starred Clint Eastwood??,maybe it was John Wayne??:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Yes, entirely.

I've seen enough of the world to recognise that Europe is indeed a cultural union, and a very close one at that.
    You only ever really get to see your own culture once you look at it through another culture's eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭DeadHand

jester77 wrote: »
    But we are not the same culturally even at a national level. Someone born in Dublin city can no more relate to someone born in rural Leitrim than they can with someone born in southern Italy.

Nonsense statement.

The Dub and the Leitrimite would very likely speak the same language, play the same sports, eat the same foods, listen to the same music, read the same books, watch the same television, experienced the same rituals growing up, would know someone roughly from the other's locality unless either were recent arrivals.

Dubs and culchies relate to each other just fine on every level. The city is full of culchies raising families of Dubs, the countryside is full of Dubs raising families of culchies.

Put your hypothetical Damo in a room with a lad from Carrick on Shannon and a lad from Palermo and see who he clicks with first. It won't be Ciro from Sicily.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I don't think anyone in europe would consider themselves European ahead of the country they're from.

I'm Irish, it's all I am and it's enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

I'm Irish (republican) first, European second & a Earthtinian third.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

That cow we had as a "health" minister once remarked how culturally we are closer to Boston than Berlin and she wasn't wrong.

Economically we are fully European but we are very much in the Anglosphere both culturally and socially.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

DLMA23 wrote: »
    No

No what?

You don't consider yourself to be something that you indisputably are?

This place is becoming like a UKIP convention center.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

That cow we had as a "health" minister once remarked how culturally we are closer to Boston than Berlin and she wasn't wrong.

Economically we are fully European but we are very much in the Anglosphere both culturally and socially.

As someone who lived in Boston, let me tell you this is pure horseshít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Sure few people, even on the continent, would describe themselves as European before their actual nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

karma_ wrote: »

We are far more influenced and drawn culturally to the Anglosphere than to continental Europe and that is a fact. It is the reason why we have hundreds of thousands of Irish born people each in the UK, US and Australia with plenty in Canada too. Every other continental European nation has vastly smaller numbers of Irish people.

The only dominant foreign influence that Irish people enjoy from Europe is economic. Our food is Irish/UK/world, our tv is Irish/UK/US/Aus, our music is Irish/UK/US, our films are US, our sports are Irish/UK, our first language is English and then Irish with very few fluent speakers of European languages, we dress like the UK ect ect ect.

Boston might be quite different to Cork but that's not the point of my statement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

No what?

Jeez, overreact much? Lots of people don't automatically associate themselves with the same brand as you ergo they're lunatics like UKIP?

Anyways, for me I'll always put boards.ie ahead of boards.eu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

No, I'm Irish first, then a Dubliner.

I don't ever think of myself as European because I see Europe as the continent that includes France, Spain, Italy etc, although I know technically we are part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

No what?

The only thing I indisputably am is Irish. Whether or not I am "European" is debatable to say the very least. I certainly don't consider myself Continental European from a cultural point-of-view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Culturally we are more American then European - so no I don't consider myself European , I'm an Irishman ...

• Advertisement

But you did live there. As (I assume) an Irish person you're more likely to have lived in Boston for an extended period of time than most continental European cities. Which was partly the point the poster you retorted was trying to make.

Advertisement